I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

John, I do. It Is tucked away in a corner somewhere in the shop but I still have it.

Still have the junky but functional rebar tongs I made on it too. 

Still have some other larger rocks I planned to attempt forging on as well. 

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember, you don't have to stoke my envy. You're a cruel CRUEL man. :rolleyes:

There's a heart breaker about 30 miles from here, a 450+/-lb. Soderfors sitting in a garden. The owner isn't interested in selling, trading, anything. It's going to sit there till his estate is auctioned off. It'll be a big auction, he's lived in that house for 60 years hoarding man stuff. Still, that old beauty is just sitting there weathering.  <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Les has you beat with the 230lb. Soderfors even though it's 10x as loud.

Frosty, it’s not loud anymore, I took the advice from this site, I built a tripod stand and bedded the anvil with silicone. Working over the body is very quiet, more of a heavy thud. The only time I have a ring is on the end of the horn or heel, but that’s not too bad.

Testing with a ball bearing before buying it range like a bell, with it covered in rust and sitting on a dolly.

My 130 Mousehole is set up the same way and I can’t tell any difference in the noise, until I get on the ends of the Soderfors 

Gandolfgreen, thanks for the info on kitchen knives. I did not know that. I just remember my mom calling a knife similiar to this a boning knife. It is quite flexible not filet knife flexible but much more flexible than my chopping knife. 

My 1 and only anvil shaped anvil is a 153# Mousehole. I love it. I have it nice and tight on a wooden stand and it thuds when hit. I do get a bit of ring when i use the horn but it is not bad at all. 

I was once knocking a stuck drift out of a hammer eye by holding it by the handle, hooking the hammer blank over the edge of the anvil, and hammering the tip of the drift. The drift came unstuck quite rapidly and shot out of the blank, and the heated portion scorched the palm and fingers of my left hand as it went past. Another lesson on when it's good to wear a glove, and -- of course -- grist for the humor mill.

Rojo, basically mystery metal. It was a 30mm guide rod for a small 20ton press. Tested like medium carbon. I wanted to make it from H13 and thought I had a mold component made from H13, but after testing seemed to be 52100. 52100 would probably have been better, but didn’t want to put the effort into working down a 2” diameter down if it wasn’t going to have the benefits of H13.

Keep it fun,

David

Well I ended up in the shop; picked up a new V-belt for the swamp cooler and while installing it I noticed that the float valve was decrepit, while taking off the float valve the steel fitting it was fastened to crumbled away.  So off to the shop, dug a piece of scrap stainless out and made a new one; two holes and a tab and will outlast the rest of the swamp cooler. Tools Used: postvises, crowbar, shear, file, drill press & drill bits, hammer, milwaukee drill, SDST screw, center punch, drillpress vise.

So a simple "replace the V belt" took all morning and multiple trips up and down the ladder.

Ain't that the truth! A too easy job worries the stuffings out of me! Or should.

For example, we just bought a DR trimmer to replace the 15 year old Troy Bilt that finally died and I purchased the DuraBlade trimmer attachment. It's a simple thing that screws onto the end of the trimmer head and has 3 flail blades the ads say will easily whack up to 3/8" wood. Installation was a snap, pin the mower head, unscrew the mow ball off the end and screw the DuraBlade head on. I spent more time reading the directions looking for the problems than the job took, no fooling 5 minutes and I was ready to whack the seedlings and saplings in the driveway. :D

A couple few days later the rain stops it dries out and I fire it up. Less than 10 minutes and the blades are gone and the DuraBlade head is broken up internally. Toast. :angry:

I sure wish I'd read the public comments about this product on their web page. I wouldn't have taken on that soooooo easy job. 

At least it works well as a string trimmer. I discommend anything but the string head. . . So far.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 7/2/2022 at 9:53 PM, Goods said:

WR, looks really good for a first! 

I’m assuming you’re going to smooth the bevels out some more. That’s just a little constructive criticism, overall I really like the style. How’s it feel in the hand?

Keep it Fun,

David

Thanks for the input !

I am definitely going to work on my bevel grinds in the future. I currently only have an angle grinder and flap disk with which to do my grinding, so that is going to take some practice... but a belt grinder is in the planning.

the first picture was with rough grinding. I have attached a photo of the finished sanded and sharpened version.

As far as feel, it feels good for me... I have small hands and it fits perfectly. For anyone with "normal" proportions, the handle would probably be a bit short. 

20220703_211224.jpg

20220703_203741.jpg

Edited by Wandering_R0gue
Added extra content and information.

Looks good.

You are digging in a bit. If you float the grinder a bit youll have less deep marks to deal with. 

I have initial ground with a 4 1/2"grinder. After that I will draw file to get a better and smoother shape. Then move to sand paper in descending grits with a backer.

Good Morning,

If you rub Chalk or Soap Stone on your file, it slows down the build-up in the file teeth. The best trick for cleaning a File, is a squished brass shell casing. I squeeze the open end in a vise and find a comfortable piece of wood for the handle. Drill one hole in the wood handle so the shell casing is a push to get it in. No glue or sillycone required. It self sharpens. Batteries not necessary. You could have some fun and attach an electrical cord (just to make it look like a REAL TOOL) LOL.

Neil

Took the afternoon off the other day to visit a friend's shop and work out a demo for an upcoming hammer in. She'll be demonstrating iron bubble wands, picture a bottle opener for a 6 inch bottle cap. I'm the striker. She's done this demo before and the reveal after the quench when the ring is dipped in bubbles should be fun. Hammer In's at a restoration railroad site near Santa Cruz, lots of kids coming off the train every hour.