• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This story Arc  is well grounded if a bit re-volt-ing.  Beginning to remind me of the time I got stuck in an electrified barbwire fence while wearing a chainmail shirt...

Weeks and months of working from home and *now* I have to be in the office while they wire my shop.  I bet they think they planned it that way on purpose!

21 hours ago, Hefty said:

Alexandr, may I ask what type of forge you use and how big it is? Those long twists are so even and consistent! Are they each a one-heat-twist?

I twist it without heating. 2 fixtures. The first is for a square of 14, 16 mm, the second is 10, 12 mm.

It is also possible to twist several round bars

IMG_20210519_191239.jpg

IMG_20210519_191228.jpg

IMG_20210519_214223.jpg

IMG_20210519_214234.jpg

5.jpg

Alexandr, that's brilliant! I haven't been smithing long and I wouldn't have thought of twisting as much as 16mm square, cold under "human-power". I love simple but effective use of leverage/mechanical advantage!

Cheers,

Jono.

i haven't posted what i did for a while so I'll start recent 

this is a greenhouse extension we worked on yesterday  a 9w x 24L addition on same size original

IMG_0163.thumb.JPG.0eb3ca6d3b9169f8bd3888f9931157d7.JPG

IMG_0170.thumb.JPG.66fe351a436f7975353fe71c8ae7605e.JPG

a start for mokume gane brass copper trial

IMG_0159.thumb.JPG.86b1f302f55b3189024b9b513bc2ee96.JPG

IMG_0162.thumb.JPG.329ae6f2883876e1e70fed9975e23902.JPG

nifty little boxes for storage in shop i got at work

IMG_0151.thumb.JPG.bf601504e326d2d534309167400b0b2c.JPG

clay for a JABOD can anyone tell me if its ok to have natural matter in it or should i find some cleaner stuff thanks

IMG_0146.thumb.JPG.b649ed33bed293df16657a4106c495ab.JPG

IMG_0145.thumb.JPG.21fdf2aad901f4d9c7c1b200045150da.JPGand finally a cute puppy that showed up in January

as for today I washed a lathe at work for them to sell

M.J.Lampert

edit:

IMG_0149.JPG what can i do with this it is a grader/buldozer cutting edge  i was thinking of slicing it and using some to try blades from i have 3 or 4 lengths thanks for all suggestions

Edited by M.J.Lampert

I've always liked building a shed roof on a structure you think you might want to expand. Looking good, happy growing!

How large are the nifty boxes? They look handy, I like square it wastes little space around it.

Has nobody told you clay IS natural matter? -_- Or did the cute puppy donate some of the bucket's contents? Seeing as I kind of like you I'll suggest you sort THAT natural material out. The inclusion is nothing to sniff at!

Ah, the timeless grader, dozer, plow edge question. We should have a sticky with the answer at the top of every page. The only reasonable thing to do with worn cutting edges are see what the scrapper will give you for them. 

Cutting edges are tempting, they're hard steel and just laying there, heck they're CALLED knives in lots of places. I grabbed a couple, still have a short piece of unused grader edge trimmings from work. One of these days I'll silver brae it to a cast iron ASO somebody left here. I've been saying that for at least 20 years and both are still waiting.

The stuff is pretty much unworkable in a home shop. You can cut it with a torch. If you want to grind it you WILL need diamond abrasives. Cutting edge is typically 1.5-2% carbon matrix for IIRC 2% tungsten carbide. It's NOT low alloy either, edges don't snap. I've personally caught a manhole at roughly 15mph in a 72,000 lb. Champion grader and been stopped cold. The only movement after it caught the manhole was the moldboard and edge bending and not much.

Sent me home for a couple days, sprained my wrists but I was seated and belted in or I would've gone through the windshield. 

Tis really is about cutting edges, I don't know more than a little of what the alloy is, but it's not something you're going to be able to forge without damaging your hammers, power hammer dies and probably anvil face. 

My advice is to leave it where it lays. 

Frosty The Lucky.

It has a lot of thermal mass and will chill the blades quickly. I don't know if it'd be a factor unless you put them in at critical temp in which case I expect it'd quench the blade and seeing as it couldn't have 100% contact over the entire blade it might do ungood things.

Thinking about that just now Not being in full contact might effect things. 

I do recall something useful a smith made with grader edge, a shear. Hinged the blades through the mounting holes and used it to shear bar. Wouldn't work on thin stock it couldn't be sharpened but from what I recall hearing it worked a treat on 1/4" and thicker bar stock.

Frosty The Lucky.

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

Cutting edge is typically 1.5-2% carbon matrix for IIRC 2% tungsten carbide. It's NOT low alloy either, edges don't snap.

Is this true for auger teeth as well? I’ve had my eye on a couple of worn out teeth at work for bottom tools.

11 hours ago, M.J.Lampert said:

if its ok to have natural matter in it or should i find some cleaner stuff thanks

I'd get the rocks out if there are any. Any organic matter shouldn't make much of a difference. Some folks add straw to make cob. 

Pnut

Grader blades: weld up into a work table with hardy holes in it.  Try to scrounge the ones with square holes the same size as your anvil's hardy hole.  (Took me a while to find one with 1.5" sq holes!)  

If your improvised anvil lacks hardy holes,  make an improvised hardy hole!

Grader blades tend to be abrasion resistant steel, a pain to work and not a good alloy for blades!

5 hours ago, Bantou said:

s this true for auger teeth as well?

No. They're typically forged with a tungsten carbide insert silver soldered in place, just like a carbide lathe cutter. Once you remove the carbide and remaining silver solder you might be able to forge things from them. I don't know you'd have to evaluate them like any other mystery metal.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Bantou said:

Is this true for auger teeth as well?

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

that sounds similar to grader teeth I've dealt with they had a 3/4" carbide on a mild body and a small piece of sheet as a spring to hold in place if same bantou i would leave them where they are 

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

I've always liked building a shed roof on a structure you think you might want to expand. Looking good, happy growing!

How large are the nifty boxes? They look handy, I like square it wastes little space around it.

Has nobody told you clay IS natural matter? -_- Or did the cute puppy donate some of the bucket's contents? Seeing as I kind of like you I'll suggest you sort THAT natural material out. The inclusion is nothing to sniff at! 

Frosty The Lucky.

yes my father and i got the roofing up last night  so by next weekend it should be done

the boxes are 13" squarish (no 90s in corners) 

frosty:rolleyes::wacko: even p nut knew better the material i talked about was dead leaves, sticks ect the clay came from a freind so the dog didn't do it (one of their three maybe?) no the stuff i got was clean of that material

M.J.Lampert