I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

14 minutes ago, Gergely said:

though I think when you welded the long seam holding together the angle iron and the base plate you either welded it too fast or with too low amperage. Also a bit more surface cleaning can help a lot. 

Travel speed too fast, actually; the amps were actually all the way up. 

I ground down to bare metal before welding, but only where the seams were to be. Definitely worth the time. 

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Gergely said:

There are some seams around the pivot that are pretty nice - you're really getting better continously. If

I’m particularly happy about these two seams (although the dogs seem somewhat less impressed):

F1F2B55A-3969-4CE3-999E-07A2098E8897.jpeg

5 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I don't know where this is going but there is a cold shut in the corner.. I imagine you will be grinding it out???  I'm also sure I had no reason to point it out as I'm sure you had seen it and all ready had a plan to deal with it..

It's a cold shut, you're right! I've seen it and thought: how on earth got it a crack there?! But it's actually coming from the bending not from some cracking force. - Thank you!!

And yes of course it has to go. 

Bests:

Gergely

That is one of the most likely places to get a crack..    One of things that took me a lot of years to learn is. " Cracks happen in many places while forging, 90's, bosses, shoulders, etc, etc.. Difference between a good piece and a bad one is watching out for these kinds of things..  You'd be surprised just how many forgings have forging cracks or cold shuts.. 

On 1/28/2018 at 10:06 AM, JHCC said:

I’m particularly happy about these two seams (although the dogs seem somewhat less impressed):

Yepp, those were the ones that caught my eyes in an earlier picture. 

20 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

That is one of the most likely places to get a crack..    One of things that took me a lot of years to learn is. " Cracks happen in many places while forging, 90's, bosses, shoulders, etc, etc.. Difference between a good piece and a bad one is watching out for these kinds of things..  You'd be surprised just how many forgings have forging cracks or cold shuts.. 

I have a factory made axe of the same style, and it has small cracks in the very same place, too. Now I may know how it got them... (or not :) )

Bests:

Gergely

Finished the vice stand and give both (stand & vice) a paint job. Looking for a strategic position now to attach him to the concrete floor. Spoil all the moving parts of the vice with grease for a smooth functioning.

Spend again a lot of time on deburring/slightly bevel all the parts before welding.  What’s your opinion regarding deburring on all the parts you working on?

The metal stockpile behind the vice will become a decent welding table this week.   Cheers, Hans

IMG_20180128_214808.jpg

Made a leaf-handle fire poker. I'm never totally confident with the fire weld after folding back the point. Sometimes takes and sometimes it's a bit dodgy. I've melted the short spike a couple of times. Seems to me that when the piece is deep in a charcoal fire you have to guess when it reaches welding temp - and it's a very fine line between hot enough and burnt. Anyway, I'll keep trying.

Also made a shifty lizard. I like the tail on this one, because it's made from a piece of very heavily weathered rebar. Usually, tapering the tail from round bar is a bit onerous, but this one was already tapered for me. Nature lending a helping hand!

DSC_8465.JPG

Looking great. Very clean work as always!

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

I'm never totally confident with the fire weld after folding back the point. Sometimes takes and sometimes it's a bit dodgy. I've melted the short spike a couple of times

This may just be my ignorance, but are you not fire welding the bull heads (split the horns, fold over, weld, then face details)?

They always look perfect, so is it not the same process?

41 minutes ago, JustAnotherViking said:

Looking great. Very clean work as always!

This may just be my ignorance, but are you not fire welding the bull heads (split the horns, fold over, weld, then face details)?

They always look perfect, so is it not the same process?

I used to fire weld the bull heads, but burned a lot of horns. I don't fire weld them any more, as with 12mm steel there is plenty of thickness in the fold. You just have to be a bit careful forging the flats for the eyes that you don't skew the head sideways.

I my be wrong but I reckon it would be easier to fire weld in a propane forge where you can see the piece and remove it at the critical time.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, i'm also in the burned horn vs not properly welded camp (using coke forge).

I need to make a new gas one so I can use it for welding as my current one is just soft fire bricks.. works great for normal forging, but eats through the bricks at welding temperature (also a complete waste of gas bringing up to and maintaining temp... not as efficient/heat reflective as castable refractory + coating)

As well as the visibility, there is the added benefit of temperature control: the piece can only get as hot as the forge... keep the pressure/air mix at the right level for the task at hand, it stays constant... you're less likely to burn something if you forget to lift it out for a few minutes.

I like the poker ausfire i got an order for 4 sets of of tools and stands anyway the poker pt is being difficult as well so im thinkin of sneakin some tig in at the fold or splittin the point and curlin it.My forge doesn't like flux so untill the spring when i get my shop extension done and new coal forge built i think im goin to cheat with some tig lol.

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

Such vicious creatures.   

Is that how you clean up after a long forging session. :) 

Aus, are the eyes punched on the shifty lizzard? That old rebar worked out great for the tail. Have you tried out electrolysis yet? 

I worked on relining my forge this weekend. First go 'round, I had 1" kaowool and 2" of kastolite, and the kaowool got compressed putting in the kastolite. So I chipped it out, put in 2" of kaowool, rigidized it (something else I didn't do the first time 'round), and put in 1/2" of kastolite. Cast in a nozzle for the burner this time also. Looks pretty much the same, but expecting it to perform a bit better. The one pic I missed taking was the rigidized kaowool in the forge shell. You can kind of see it in the third pic as we're tamping in the kastolite between the kaowool and the mold plug.

IMG_3027.JPG

IMG_3028.JPG

IMG_3030.JPG

IMG_3039.JPG

Hans, I believe that's called a cat pillow, not a Pekinese. :) 

Got a little time in the shop tonite. Toyed around with a few forge welds for fun. One will end up a fire poker. I have to say that over time these almost just seem to happen when I remember struggling severely and failing. ( must be all the reading up on here ;) )thanks for that.

also a leaf keychain and a goofed up ( but still sellable) horseshoe horse head heart( say that 5 times fast) to sell at work, since they have been bugging me to bring stuff in. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Beautiful work Das! Nice poker too, I really like your weld!!

I was bored last night so I made a pallet buster for a friend of mine. He heats his shop with old pallets

and I thought he would like a hand.  That's my mini weld table in the post vise.

PALLET BUSTER.jpg