• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

YT is just the artist's opinion. Google the rose and look at the real rose, and real thorns. Very different numbers of thorns, and thorn configurations, depending on the rose. 

Folks on IForgeIron are extremely knowledgeable in many areas. They catch even the small details and help us get it right. This allows the site to self correct and keep good information posted. 

JHCC, on my guillotine fuller, I welded a piece of 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 solid round bar to the top die. This gave a target to aim the hammer toward as well as a sacrificial target that could easily be re-dressed when it mushroomed over from multiple impacts. The original top die would not be deformed. If it needs replaced, grind off the welds and attach a new target.

22 minutes ago, Glenn said:

I welded a piece of 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 solid round bar to the top die. This gave a target to aim the hammer toward as well as a sacrificial target that could easily be re-dressed when it mushroomed over from multiple impacts.

Yep, that’s the plan. (And an excuse to do more welding!)

13 hours ago, Marc1 said:

I had a look at some YT videos of making a rose and most had no thorn and the one that did, had them the wrong way ... :)

Going and looking again at images on a Google search I surprised that I saw many artists drawings of roses with the thorns going towards the rose instead of the correct way as well. Must be a somewhat common mental depiction of the thorns. No one has mentioned the mistake before to me. And in a way it does make them just a tad safer to handle. If I go for more realistic I'll be sure to get them right. :) 

Roses do not have thorns, they have prickles (outside of botany, they're used pretty much interchangeably). Botanist Brian Capon defines rose prickles as "woody epidermal outgrowths growing randomly" along the stem between the bud nodes. "Many are recurved downward to deter predators from climbing upwards." Reference click here

Scientists believe that roses have thorns to protect them from being eaten by animals who might be attracted to them due to their sweet fragrance. Reference

A buddy of mine in SoCal recently got into forging, built himself a little gas forge with a naturally aspirated burner and has been pounding rebar scraps on an on-end RR track anvil.

His oldest had the family van in SF moving into a post collegiate apartment, so I took the opportunity to send the kid home to his dad with a bucketful of my spare hammers, tongs, punches and better steel scrap than rebar! 

Some coil spring bits, leaf spring, rail clips, along with a bundle of mild steel bar in 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch square. Soap stone, wire brush and a chunk of mild steel, 4x4 and 12 inches long on end to use as an anvil. Threw in a couple of RR spikes for fun.

Some battle axes out of scrap 3/4" square 1045. Was fun to make!

This one has its spike end shaped and sharpened like a knife. Haft is ash.

5a5ee003b4159_201801csatafokos1.thumb.jpg.bfac4540dc00032db6d637d60117ea08.jpg

This one has black locust haft. Also you can see where my technique needs more work :)  

5a5ee005ac68e_201801fokosbalta1.thumb.jpg.a8eeee9ad4c95ed96cc9d935cff1103a.jpg

Bests:

Gergely

A lot of visitors want to buy my bull's head card holder that I made from a tyre iron. Took me too long to make to sell it, so I thought I had better make a couple of smaller ones for sale. These longhorns are forged from some old twisted 12mm bar from a church gate. I thought it would be wrought iron but luckily it proved to be mild.

card holders.JPG

Yesterday I went to the Dr. Shop and found out my better half and I are bringing a girl into this world. 

This evening I took a small ball pein I picked up today and made a fun little hatchet. I'll probably give it to my daughter when she's old enough. Lol till then it will probably cut kindling. 

image.jpg

image.jpg