I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Thank you, SLAG. It’s pretty good use of the space; I just wish I had more time to spend in it. 

For now, I’m mostly doing cut-and-weld projects, both because they’re easy to start and stop, but also because I don’t know when the Theater Department wants their welder back. 

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A quiet demo day so caught up with a few half finished pieces. Made a ram's head wall hook with a horse shoe for the hooks. A couple of ram's head bottle openers. It's easier to forge one on each end of the 12mm bar and then cut in half. Saves working with tongs all the time. Also finished off two longhorn bull heads, one on each end of a 25m x 8mm bar. Not sure what I will do with them yet - perhaps make two business card holders. One our visitors today reckoned he wanted one to mount on the bullbar of his 4WD. Not sure the boys in blue would approve of that.

DSC_8457.JPG

DSC_8458.JPG

DSC_8459.JPG

Aus, those bull horns would make on fancy tie hanger. Not that I wear ties haha. Just thinking the horns would work well for that. 

I made a dragon head for the hood of a friends car. He ended up not putting it on for the same reasoning. 

Thank you Joe. 

I'm not getting as much shop time is since there is still a Lot to do in the house. We are still making it a family house instead of a single guys house. :) 

We are also going through family and friends baby items donations to see what we still need.

All in all I am happy and excited to do so and am not shunned from my shop but time is closing in and there are things needing done. 

claw hammers can be tricky. That one looks good though.

Littleblacksmith 

The pole on the claw hammer has to be greater in depth so it supports the material in the handle better when using the claw to extract nails.. (learned this one the hard way)..

The claw part is best done with a narrow kerf bladed hardie or a narrow kerf hot chisel..  Cut as you normal would an then with about 3/16 thickness (youll have to experiment to see what works best for you) left before cutting through switch over to the narrow kerf.. This will leave a double geometry in the claw.. Then only clean up the top with a file before hardening as there should be about 1/32" or slightly more of a lip in thickness at a side profile.. this is what digs into the shank of a modern nail..  If to thin (learned the hard way) it will chip out if to thick it will not grab the shank of the nail..

Just like when making the rounding hammers.. Just offset the eye to put all the extra into the bottom of the pole (eye) verse both sides..

Nice looking bunch of hammers..   Betcha it doesn't take to long now to forge one out vs the first few you made..  :) 

On 1/23/2018 at 5:56 AM, jlpservicesinc said:

The pole on the claw hammer...
Just offset the eye to put all the extra into the bottom of the pole (eye) verse both sides..

On 1/23/2018 at 9:07 PM, Ranchmanben said:

The cheeks or pole is the main thing I will do differently on the next one. 

Not to be pedantic, here (okay, yes, I'm being pedantic), but it's spelled "poll". Pronounced the same, though.

Made my first real and ready axe. Made of 30x40mm (1 1/4 x 1 5/8") 1045 steel. It weighs 700g / 1,5lbs.

I need to make some more tooling for the power hammer, because I really liked to forge this. At least some drifts... I did do the slitting with the machine - it sure was fun!

Bests:

Gergely

5a68d6a186bdd_201801balta1.thumb.jpg.440bf3cd2134deb9b58de5e883d18b4d.jpg5a68d6a2c0cbd_201801balta2.thumb.jpg.58fceeb34e2cc20a0f16701477fbddb1.jpg5a68d6a3ecdbf_201801balta3.thumb.jpg.ecbc6cff18ffb71e23211d626c72e2a5.jpg

Stitch that is a fine piece of engineering. So the shifter on the right is fixed and the left one slides, is that right? Perhaps you could post a pic of the connection to the square bar. I do a lot of reverse twists on pokers and it's always tricky to get them symmetrical. I once considered mounting two vices side by side on the bench to achieve similar results, but your method is ingenious.