I Forge Iron

What are you paying for new mild steel?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the western US I have found that hot rolled "sticks" come in 20 foot lengths and cold rolled comes in 8 or 10 foot pieces.  This may vary regionally and some suppliers may stock differently.  $3/pound for mild steel sounds like a big box price, not a steel supplier.  I'd call around to competitors.  It wouldn't take much of per pound savings to justify a longer trip.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

7 hours ago, George N. M. said:

In the western US I have found that hot rolled "sticks" come in 20 foot lengths and cold rolled comes in 8 or 10 foot pieces. 

Same here in greater Cincinnati. The place I go hasn't had any hot rolled 1018 lately only cold rolled. I haven't had to have any so haven't paid the extra for the Cold rolled. 1/2 in. round HR goes for $18 and change. You can also buy remnants or partial sticks that are in the remnants rack for less than 75 cents a pound. I want to say forty cents a pound but I can't remember for sure.  

Whole lengths of cold rolled 1/2 in. round is $21 iirc but as stated above it's only 10 ft. bars.

Pnut

20’ bar is mill standard if you are purchasing a 10’ bar you are probably paying a small premium for the cut. 

I work for a steel supplier we make all our money on processing and delivery margins on steel are small believe it or not

susan 

My steel supplier charges $0.80/lb for drops; a bit high, but convenient and they have a pretty good variety moving through the bins. It's been a while since I bought a full stick of anything, so I don't remember how much it was.

You can save a couple more bucks by buying full sticks and cutting them to length with a hacksaw or a cordless angle grinder.

the cost here is based on the steel product..  A36, 1018 HR or 1018 CR..  And on shape.. flats are usually the least expensive. 

Cold rolled always comes in 12ft lengths..  Hot rolled A36 or 1018 which is getting harder to find is in 20ft lengths..  Neither metal supplier I use charge for cutting to length for 1 cut..  Cutting a bar in half or to a length requested. 

Cold rolled is always more money but is carried in more sizes and is 1018

Hot rolled is less money but there are less sizes and some only stock a certain size in cold rolled. 

On 1/2/2020 at 1:55 PM, Jasent said:

I buy mine from a scrap yard for .30/ lb for most and long lengths or med- high carbon and SS are .35/lb.   

On 1/2/2020 at 12:33 PM, rustyanchor said:

35 cents a pound for misc. mild steel at Sandusky Sales in Columbia KY. 

How can they sell new steel for that price? that was the question,  not scrap

On 1/2/2020 at 2:24 PM, Steve Sells said:

How can they sell new steel for that price? that was the question,  not scrap

Most of the stock was new steel when they got it, some has the mill tag still on the bundles. I 'assume' that the stuff is steel that didn't come out to specs.

Dunno, maybe they raid the mill storage lots at night...kidding they are a great bunch of guys to buy from.

They don't care if I buy 20' sticks and hack them up with an angle grinder in the parking lot, rather than paying any cut fee. I think they will do a couple of cuts with a torch for not much if anything.

The 'misc' steel is what they call the 35 cents a pound stuff and most of it is under covered storage outside, they have the 'good stuff' inside.

I got 9 10' sticks of 3"X3"X3/8 angle (75 pounds or so each) a bunch of 10'  1-1/2X1-1/2X3/16 angle and some and a couple of 1"X3/6 flat for a combined weight of 900 or so pounds, for $350.

It is a real place with good deals on new steel.