I Forge Iron

Steel suppliers

jason0012

I have been trying to source tool steel with limited success. It seems a lot of folks around me use Alro, but my contact with them has left me with serious sticker shock. I would like to find a reliable source for 4140, 5160, 6150 or similar. I have some scrap sources which are fine for my own shop tools but for product use I would like to have new stuff. Is 4140 really $28 a pound? 

I don't know what part of Kentucky you're in but in northern Kentucky there's a place called Boone Steel in Walton that I use that will sell small amounts to the public. Their selection of tool steels is a bit limited but they have common tool steel alloys. The phone number is 

(859)493-0111 and they also have a website.

Pnut

$28 a LB? That seems a bit high. Do you go to Alro or did you get a quote for delivery? I know their delivery is outrageous. Last week i picked up a 2 1/2" round of S-7, maybe 3#. A 2"x 1" piece of A-2, 2# or so and a piece of 1018 3/4" x 1 3/4" about 5#, all for under $10. 

There is also the Metals Supermarket. One in Lexington, Louisville, and Cinci. Never used them so i can not give an opinion on them.  

• 1 year later...

That is typical pretty much everywhere.  You might ask a small machine shop if you can piggyback an order for fancier steel on one of theirs. (And if they have any drops of what you want.)

I tend to get my HC at the scrapyard for stuff I'm willing to test/guess and at blacksmithing conferences where there may be folks sell drops of things like S7 and H13 for tooling.

For bladesmithing a lot of my friends use the NJ steel Baron.

• 3 months later...

I have been trying to find a place to get tool steel, whether is A2, O1, W2, it doesn't matter. I want to get experience working with it as well as make punches and such from them. I have not found a place that sells round stock that doesn't give me sticker shock yet.

NJSB sells bars, but I did not see rounds. Metal Supermarkets wants over $100US for I think it was 8' of O1 @ 5/8's diameter and it would take a month to get. I have not had a chance to stop by my local Alro Steel just yet, but their website isn't proving promising. I've read various threads here where people mention fab shops. I believe there is a medium sized one down the road from my work on the south end of Columbus I could swing into.

I want to go to Quad-State since its only like 45ish minutes away. Is it happening this year? When I last looked on SOFA's website, the timer wasn't running and I couldn't find an confirmation on it. I will look again real quick.

Edit:

I stand corrected. If you google  Quad-State SOFA, it takes you to the 2020 link and not 2021. The 2021 does indeed have a timer so looks like its a go. Looks like I will be going!

Edit #2:

Now that I think about it, I could stop by and ask Adlai if he happens to know a local source or would possibly even have a small bit I could buy off him. If anything it will be fun talking to him again. He was such a nice person.

Sindoc, the Alro here in Dayton sells drops. Much cheaper than buying new. You cannot how ever get 8', but i have bought pieces big enough to make hammers and bottom/top tools out of. Actually i have seen pieces in there big enough to use as anvils, but really 6" thick x 20" round of S-7 is a little beyond my scope of using. They dont list the drops on line you have to actually go there and look and see what they have. They will also have brass, aluminum, nylon, etc. 

Alro does mostly manufacture supply so a lot of what they have on hand will be specific for the area. But they do handle a lot of tool steels so you will find them. 

I believe that the metals supermarket also sells drops that you can go in and look through but i have never been there. 

About quad state, our governor says all Covid restrictions will be lifted on June 2. So i am making plans.