I Forge Iron

Contacting rail company?

I live in west Fargo North Dakota and nearby I think Fargo North Dakota Or Moorhead  Minnesota. I think Moorhead is the place b it anyhow there is a spot along the railroad with a pile of used railroad spikes from when they replace the spikes. There’s thousands of them like enough to fill a pickup truck up. The pile is a few feet around and 2-3 feet tall. I like forging rail spikes so I was wondering if there was a way to get ahold of the company that owns the tracks to ask for some/ trade for some. They just sit and collect rust so I imagine they wouldn’t be too tight on holding them. Problem is I don’t know who owns them and who owns the tracks. And there’s never anyone onsite when I go by. Thanks 

The pile also may belong to a rail maintenance company; I used to live near one and could visit their office/grounds in person; but that was in Columbus Ohio.

Here near my house, where the road crosses the train track there is a sign posted giving the "ownership" of the track and a no trespassing and even an 800 number to call if there is a problem. Of course I live out in the country...

5 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

Whatever you do, don't take them without permission.

Yea i wouldn’t risk it. Not worth the risk. 

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

The pile also may belong to a rail maintenance company  Here near my house, where the road crosses the train track there is a sign posted giving the "ownership" of the track and a no trespassing and even an 800 number to call if there is a problem. 

There isn’t a office here that I know of. But I’ll look into it.  

thanks all

I know one smith that just buys them new from the same folks the train companies buy them from.  He has a product that he makes from spikes and he says it's easier to have a good supply without any hassles. IIRC he's brought a keg to Quad-State to sell small amounts from at times. I don't like spikes much; but when I need them I can find plenty at the scrapyard, 20 cents a pound is OK for me.

Dear DG2,

It is highly probable that any RR tracks in West Fargo belong to the Burlington Northern RR.  They have an office in Fargo.  I suggest contacting their track maintenance division.  Being a large corporation you may have to do something informal with someone.  That said,  there is something to be said for buying RR spikes from a commercial source.  That way you have a better idea of the metal used and the size.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I work at a hotel and in the last year about three or four different railroad maintenance crews have stayed there. They were  from at least two and possibly three different companies contracted by the RR to maintain the same main line in different locations. I don't recall the names of any of the companies though. 

Pnut

Edited by pnut

I've had good luck with talking directly to the maintenance crews. That's how I got the piece of rail I use for an anvil. They even cut it for me to the length I wanted. Telling them what you plan on doing with them and If you know the names of the pieces you're wanting and some general railroad terminology it helps, but probably not as much as cold drinks on a hot day or hot coffee and donuts on a cold one. I grew up in a RR family and worked for a little while in a trainyard in Cincinnati putting manifest trains together. Most RR workers are more than happy to help you once you've told them it's for blacksmithing and you're not trying to scrap it. I haven't tried contacting a company directly but they don't care how long that pile sits there. I don't think they'd be too willing to give or sell you anything, but it's worth a try. I suggest looking for a maintenance crew. 

I’ll check out McMaster Carr thanks 

-punt 

I’ll see if I can find some Crew to ask for spikes they aren’t usually out and I’ll be sure to bring some coffee and beer so they can choose because it is cold but people up here drink all year round haha  thanks 

I went through a similar negotiation with Norfolk-Southern a couple of years ago; it turned out that the tracks had been replaced, and all the spikes in a big pile were now owned by the salvage company that held the contract on the old materials. The (otherwise very helpful) guy from N-S said, "I would love to give you all the spikes you need, but they're no longer mine to give."

11 hours ago, lazarus said:

Railroad Spikes - CHEAP & THOUSANDS OF THEM (their ad in CL) --  Scrap yard in central PA. 

That's a big ol' pile o' spikes. Lots of rail anchors and plates mixed in there too.

DO NOT OFFER BEER TO RR WORKERS ON THE JOB!   Can get them fired! 

(Off the job...)  I used to live by a small welding company and on late Friday afternoons in the summer I could drag in a 6-pack and a welding job and get a whole lot of professional welding done on the cheap.  However this was with the permission of the boss and owner of the company---I asked if I could trade some cold drinks, soda or beer, he said yes and he chose beer.  Also it never worked out to more than 2 beers per worker as they were getting ready to drive home. Don't help people to hurt themselves!

Now who's in central PA that might do a flat rate box deal for spikes?   I sent a teenager 32 spikes in a box once as his parents wouldn't allow him to scrounge any on his own; but were OK with him getting some to use cheap, I think the cost was around US$20 total and almost $14 was the shipping...

A while back, I was needing some spikes. I googled the rail line about 60 miles away and got a phone number for the maintenance yard. I called and explained what I needed the spikes for and that I only needed about a 5 gal. bucket full. The supervisor was very accommodating and gave me the yard location. He said they were in the the process of doing some rail maintenance nearby and to drop by the office and he would give me an authorization letter to take with me to gather up as many as I needed. As it turned out, the work was about 1/2 to 1 mile off the highway, it was a 90+ deg. day in July and I would have had to lug that bucket full of spikes back to the truck! Sadly, I passed on the opportunity.....

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Now who's in central PA that might do a flat rate box deal for spikes? 

Thomas, off the top of my pointy head, I would say that is actually the cheapest, perhaps followed by Amazon,  50 spikes for $52 plus $10 shipping, comes out to $1.24 each, compared to McMaster at $12.00 for 5, or $2.40 PLUS shipping.

I payed $.75/# ($.62ea.) at a RR salvage company in Stockton, California.

At $1.24 from Amazon (up to the buyer to vet the seller), that is the way that I would go.

Good luck,

Robert Taylor

6 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Arkie, don't have a hand truck?

BGD, I do, but in the heat and humidity and 73 years of age, I wasn't inclined to drag it the 1/2 to 1 mile down through the torn up rail bed chat. They were replacing rails and ties.

Thomas, had I been in the dry, low humidity of SW TX or N Mx, I *MIGHT* have considered doing it.

There are two scrapyards across the road from each other in town about 15 miles from us. They are just right down from the train depot. I'm guessing they have a contract with the railroad, because they have piles of spikes, track, and track plate. I'm sure other RR parts and pieces that I don't know. The scrapyard I like to go always has spikes in it. I have a bunch, but I've never forged any of them. I don't really know what I'd make anyway, but the interest just isn't there for me at this time