I Forge Iron

Contacting rail company?

On 10/29/2019 at 10:27 PM, lazarus said:

Railroad Spikes - CHEAP & THOUSANDS OF THEM (their ad in CL) --  Scrap yard in central PA. 

I bet there's quite a few improvised anvils hiding on that property. Anyone in central Pa. That needs one I strongly suggest getting in touch with that scrapyard ASAP.

Pnut

There aren’t any scrap yards I can pick through or I’d have a ton of junk metal I’ll never use ha but i want spikes not for knives but for things like bottle openers I’ve seen some garden tools and cooking tools that could be fun to make. And tongs from spikes. I know I could make tongs from other things like plain round or square bar but I like idea of using something strange like a spike for the metal. I dunno probably bad idea. But why not

Got a student who wants to make tongs this Sunday; He'll be using 3/4" sucker rod for stock. I like the alloy better for tongs and the size is suggested in Weyger's book.

As for the weather; don't forget I was born in Fayetteville AR and spent many a summer in Fort Smith and own 13 acres in Cedarville! (Why do you think I moved out here!)

Thomas, I love tongs made from sucker rod.  Strong stuff.  I hand hammered one set, but after that, I wished I had a power hammer!  I drew out the reins; no forge welded reins.  Bob Patrick often makes tongs from sucker rod...power hammer of course.  When he brings a bunch to a meeting, they go like hotcakes.

If you need ALOT(or do like I did and get a bunch of people together to chip in) some salvage companies will sell you a pallet of them. We paid 1.192$ for 3.100#(minimum order) and that included the freight shipping from Washington state to me on the east coast. Just had to have a business address for delivery and a forklift(110$ rental) to unload it. That was a couple years ago but if you want I can try to locate the contact info and PM you it. As it is I ended up getting just shy of thousand spikes for just over 300$.

Arkie; it's not so much paying their dues as learning to THINK and evaluate things rather than following some random person's instructions blindly. They also need to start planning for their own capabilities. This is a top rated technical school turning out people who will be in charge of keeping the world running when I'm old and feeble. Time to teach them the importance of some human factors in design and construction!