I Forge Iron

JLP Blacksmith Teaching Center.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rojo Pedro..  :) 

Should be neat if the vision happens the way I plan it.. 

20211007_181045.jpg

I am looking for  a new window  as this 1 now has stuff in it and I broke it putting it up.. Was super tight. 

9 years ago when I got the window it was like brand new.. I guess living outside though sheltered did no favors for it's longevity. 

I had left 1/2" for fit but once the trim went in I lost all the room.. No biggy.. 

When we built our house some 15 years ago, we had two 4' x 6' double pane insulated picture windows installed. Like yours, one was apparently a tight fit. The carpenters did a slow, tap-tap-tap with backup on one of them...it cracked! They were obligated to replace it at their own expense (per contract)....$600. Like they say, "if it don't fit, don't force it!". Particularly glass.

Arkie,  the window was basically junk at this point..  I knew it might break putting it in.. I figured it would allow for a good setting of the silicone for when the framing for the new replacement goes in. 

The new window is about 4k..  From 1 place..   Commercial window is about 2K without the added insulation ability.  

I want a good R value window and will get triple pane.. 

Frosty Thanks..  Up little wiggle room is good.  Did you silicone a bead all around the window to allow for the extra expansion and wiggle. 

Thomas we get little tremors about every 10 years. 

The fault lines here are all over the place vs major ones. 

The soil the shop is on well lets just say we have a really high water table..  Honestly I think if we had a larger quake event the shop would just slide down the hill. It is all clay type around the base which sits on subsoil.. 

Full footing about 3ft wide but water came up around them when it was dry here..  This year our spring has kept flowing. 

Frosty I have some 1/2" plexi..  Problem is it scratchs so easliy.   I thought about making my own since the wall is 8" thick I would make a triple pane but ideally being able to look through it is the ideal.. 

For my shop I have fiberglass panels in the roof for skylights, lowest part is 10' above the floor;  open gables and 10' square roll up doors.  Windows would just be an invitation for unwanted "visitors".  But I'm not running a business where seeing folks approach would be a good thing!  Also climate differences; I'm more prone to *want* the main doors open when I'm in the shop!

If I were in New Mexico or other areas that have high desert I'd have a shop much like yours.. 

Problem is here Winter is 9 months of the year..  Summer 2 and fall/spring split the 1 month.. 

Warmth is the most important factor for me and the nice thing with the front easterly facing dormer roof is the area stays very cool even in the heat of the summer. 

I'm not concerned right now about gas forges and the associated heat but have a whole house fan and some other fans that will exchange air.. 

I will eventually put in a geothermal air conditioning unit for summer cooling .. 

In areas that are dry ish..  a lean to is all thats needed.. Of course being able to control wind direction is a must or putting the shop in a direction of wind force so the smoke blows away. 

Its going to be an exciting winter here..  First time in all my life I will have a shop that can be heated by nearly any means I want to.  coal, oil, wood, waste oil, propane or NG..   

And it will be able to be warm inside..   Last year -14F and was out in the snow trimming horses in a 15mph wind at 730am..  Interesting.. :) 

I could build a nice 20X40 shop out of Ibeams and steel sheath it easliy.   

But. the size of this building and for the money was a great way to go.  R38 roof, R29 walls.. R29 Garage door..  :) 

20200925_102217.jpg

• 1 month later...

Over the past few weeks I have added more equipment in line with PPE..  A huge fume extractor with 27Ft arm. 

The used oil burner is installed in the Yukon eagle furnace and it burns about 1/2gallon per hour.. 

The garage door is slowly going up..  This like everything on this build the directions and instructions are terrible.. 

Lot more work than thought it would be.. Lots of screws and drilling holes.  

Arkie,  was pretty amazing how the last door panel completely added another layer of warmth even with the sides around the door completely open. 

Got the back yard cleaned up from the remaining logs that were down. Apple, rock maple and some other wood that can not be split with axe or maul. 

Brought a few loads of wood as well.  Thought I had about 6 cord stacked but turns out to only be about 5. 

20211114_181757.jpg

20211119_190323.jpg

20210912_131736.jpg

20210831_144812.jpg

20211120_163505.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Dick L. came out today and we got the door to go up and down.. Still a few little things but now it opens and closes. 

It's interesting how large the door is yet still goes up and down..  :) 

Now can get the manlift from inside the building to put up the outer sheets.. 

With heating the building for the last week or so there is going to "have" to be a large fan in the middle to push the hot air down..  At the roof it was about 85 with it 65 on the floor. 

20211210_140221.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

So lots have gone on since last post. 

Garage door is operational, insulation inside the east wall has started until we ran out of insulation hangers. 

The garage door inner seal was installed.. What  a difference heat wise that made.  I have an external seal also ordered should be here this week. 

The furnace: I installed a control relay for the used oil burner so it only comes on where there is a call to the used oil burner..  Otherwise it stays cold and this will increase the timeframe for it to have to be servided or cleaned. 

I also started to build a special oil storage and feeder tank for the used oil burner to simplify what I am doing now.. which is cleaning the oil of water but a series of storage tanks and sucking from about 4" off the bottom.. 

Oil being lighter than water will float..  Problem is the labor involved.   the new tank will have all of the features built in. 

Drain, filters, pump, a funnel. water separator.. 

20211221_161758.jpg

20211231_131929.jpg

20220101_182205.jpg

20220107_155033.jpg

20220107_171633.jpg

20220107_171958.jpg

20220108_162403.jpg

Tank only needs to be pressure tested for leaks and 1 more bracket welded on to hold the metering pump. 

The digital display is inside and outside temp.. Cold snap and it was easy to heat..   Need a fan on the ceiling for sure. 

Was like 90F up there. 

20220112_170029.jpg

20220111_113257.jpg

20220110_182211.jpg

20220110_174554.jpg

20220110_171649.jpg

20220110_170100.jpg

20220109_193857.jpg

20220112_175502.jpg

20220112_204528.jpg