I Forge Iron

JLP Blacksmith Teaching Center.

Frosty..  For me, snow complicates things here..  Makes the farrier work much harder.  So having a mild winter like this past one has been fantastic..  That and not having to plow all the time.. 

On that note..   Ideally, if we were in a zone that gets 100" a year things would be laid out so plowing and snow removal would be easier.   

Straight areas with snow storage and a lot less thing random in the yard.  I've got a lot of projects on the burner and they are every where.. 

In Rutland we are considered the "snow belt" of central MA..  

This winter has been fantastic for the horses feet..  going into spring the feet look so healthy.. During snow season the snow does a lot of things that change the weight bearing so they grow a little different. 

Lucky..  Yes, no..   I don't know..   I don't feel lucky..  I just feel like one needs the $$$ and the willingness to spend it.  I work very hard and save money so when something has the possibility to fit into the school I try to get it. 

Every once in awhile this dog gets thrown a bone..    The 3D Alexander Pentograph machine is such a bone.  A situation I walked into.. ..  that will be such a neat machine to have in the school/shop.  I know where there is a larger Deckel unit but the guy won't budge on price wanting as much as a Milling machine at 2500.00  I could go 1500.00 and push it up to 1750 at a cringe, but 2500 is way to rich for me.  That is a lot of resources that would go to the wayside. 

Time, money, labor, and desire..   A winning combination if one can align all 4..     Desire for me is the easy one.. then time, labor, money.

LOL..I love old archaic, rare equipment..  And for some reason am drawn to items that don't have any resources to help the projects along unless I make them. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, heh, heh, well, I live on a paved road and haven't ridden let alone owned a snowmachine (snowmobile) since I stopped working in the field and don't make the Dachshunds pull a dog sled so snow is an inconvenience here too. The one exception is a good foot plus on the ground early in the season means the frost won't be driven as deep and make breakup easier. The ground has to thaw to drain and end mud season.

I laid this place out with an eye to snow removal. Pushes are mostly downhill to dumps or large areas in the shop yard that get lots of snow, grade handles melt drainage as well as can be expected. I can't drive the plow truck with this broken leg and the plow service we hired has done a good job. I'm still going to have to hand shovel at least two drainage ditches clear or the shop floor will be flooded a couple inches deep. We had 3 snow storms in 10 days to start the season, one honest blizzard that dumped about 45" on our place and it made clearing the plow runs worse than tough. 

The only real  benefit of this years heavy snowfall is it will relieve the dryness in the organic ground cover and keep the black spruce from drying out as much. Hopefully our fire season will be an easy one.

I love old machinery but discovered decades ago I never get a roundtoit where restoration is concerned so I try not to build my collection. Once in a while I'll save something special if nobody in the club wants to step in. Heck, there are a couple 30's pickups I'd LOVE to have, one a hot rod another restored but if I can't just buy one I'll have to pass. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Frosty I started to right a reply just after you posted.  Sadly it got deleted. 

Over the course of the years living here in Rutland,  The snow belt of MASS.  I have searched or tried different items to deal with snow moving. 

I have tried tracked snow blowers, wheel snow blowers,  tractors with FEL and with adapted snow plow, the mini dozer, Truck mounted plows. 

The truck mounted plows work the fastest as long as the truck has tire chains on the straight runs on frozen ground.  this is one of the most economical to use since we have the truck but..... 

Not one of the items listed has shown to be a great item..  The snow blowers were/are useless..  More energy is spent trying to make them move vs getting work done. 

The tractor with the FEL and plow works ok on the tight quarter's stuff but loses out in capacity.  The back dragging and downforce come in handy..  But believe it or not the little B6000 4x4 gets a little beat up with the plowing. 

The new-to-us IH3800 would be great for large areas with frozen ground but has so many blind spots and no way to get into any tight spaces.. 

Anyhow, I'm still on the hunt for a piece of equipment that will serve multi-functions that is small enough to be super maneuverable.   Snow removal,  plowing,  mowing, etc, etc. 

Was thinking of a hill side mower like a Hustler xcell 4600..  Open to suggestions for sure. 

So, after splicing the wires on the pole and getting that out of the way..    The school is now connected to the grid. 

20230331_171904.jpg

20230413_110037.jpg

20230413_110109.jpg

My wires are 2X the size of any other wire on the pole or coming from the transformer..  LOL> 

And, drum roll please...  

Another load of equipment..    I'm pretty much done with adding more items..   I have 2 knife grinders, and a Milling machine and 3D printer still on the list..  

I added a second Marvel Blum 6 Electric hacksaw.  Was to good of a deal to pass up on..  Also turns out it had a pile of parts that were missing on the 6A so by purchasing this saw, it gave me the parts I was going to have to make for the 6A. 

So both of these saws will be functional. 

20230413_110742.jpg

20230407_184719.jpg

20230413_111512.jpg

20230330_180051.jpg

20230330_180055.jpg

Heh, heh, heh, if I could come up with a snow removal system that was suitable for large areas, small tight ones and fast, I'd be filthy stinking RICH!

I had a pickup truck scale blower on the drawing boards but there were problems that wouldn't go away. Same for the blowers designed for 4x4 ATVs, they're either way under powered or too heavy. 

If I had an excavator I'd have more attachments than you could . . . Yeah, lots. One thought was a hydraulically powered snow blower that would rotate so it could cut snow which ever way you wanted. I even came up with a lockout so the operator couldn't blow snow into the cab but figured that'd be no fun at all.

The best or most practical solution I know of for snow removal is a suitable choice of machinery/tools

Frosty The Lucky.

Shaina, yes, yes..  there will be electric in the shop on it's own wiring..  

I've been running a long 10Ga extension cord out to the shop since I've started the build. 

It's what I have been using for lights and to run the furnace.. 

I don't  know when they will install the meter as there is just a blank off plate now with the National Grid seal on the bottom of the box..  Now if I want to access the line side of the Dual panel ( metersocket and service disconnect) I'm out of luck unless I contact for power shut off.  

Anyhow, so now I just wait for the metersocket install..  

M.J.   I've been looking at 3 different ones..     

Larger platform types..   I have a hard time remembering their names/spelling..  

Prusa XL

Bambu labs machine,

or 
Snapmaker artisian 3-in-1 3d printer

I like the last one for all the features it has..  But every 6 months or so there is a new printer with higher output and features. 

Edited by Mod30
Commercial link removed.

Following the trends of what is popular with good feedback on this kind of tech is important.  

One of my buddies bought a Creality 3 and was very unhappy..  

I won't be buying one within the next 6months..  Have to get the school functional before I'll be spending money on a convenience item.   Won't be until the foundry is operational that I'll need/want the printer. 

ok so you'd be printing pla positives and then melting them out from the casting material

one thing i recommend is to buy cyber monday i bought my ender 5 pro on blak friday $100 off cyber monday they droped an extra 50 and that's on a $600 printer. the only problems ive had so far is user error

Scott, yes on the items around that are influenced by outside sources..    Inspections, electric, etc. 

there is still so much to do inside.  conduit and wiring. 

I'm not as fast as I used to be and I am certainly not complaining but have a bunch of side projects.  

I always do best with staying focused and on point..  When I shift focus It takes awhile to get back around to it. 

It has been just over 2 years for the electric connection.   Not to jinx anything.

Arkie, now that is impressive..   They do say the electricity flows over the outside of the wire.. LOL.. 

This will sound funny in a way..  I wish I could do something like that and be ok with it.   I usually go the extra distance. 

I'm trying to get better about doing it just good enough. 

20230329_194947.jpg

I have been accused of "over engineering", going the extra step, being a perfectionist, etc. when I make/work on stuff.  Thank goodness for blacksmithing where you don't have to measure in 1/16" or 1/32" or worse!!

On 4/14/2023 at 6:42 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

still so much to do

Yes, it may be a never ending thing, I suppose, but that's what keeps us going, I think.  Kind of short sighted of me.

Arkie, search the web for Bangkok Sky Spaghetti.  I've seen worse in Mexico City.  Regulation of some things is good....

I couldn't find pics searching but NYC was a giant spiderweb before they started burying utilities. Photos are pretty dramatic, there were power failures when the wind blew powerlines from different utilities together. I don't recall where I heard, maybe the comment section but supposedly people were electrocuted when power lines and phone lines were blown into each other. Linemen were being electrocuted regularly and they weren't necessarily working on a power line. 

I remember Tijuana having dozens of lines per pole the last time I was there, around 1967. Ensenada had a much nicer skyline but not many places had power and a phone might be at the local library, P.O. etc. The lodge we stayed at had steady power and phones but it was internationally popular for the fishing. They advertised distilled water used for cooking and cleaning including the showers. 

Frosty The Lucky.

My old shop had an underground powerline that went to a mobile home that I demolished, it had to be at least 600 yards from the pole.  So I spliced it to bring power to the shop and it lasted for years but gave out eventually.  Every time it rained my lights would go dim and running a angle grinder was a joke.  I imagine the electricity was going into the ground from the decayed connection.  I gave that spot of ground wide berth.  Right before we sold the place I cut the wires at the pole breaker so short they couldn't be reconnected.  I also got an affy davy from the realtor I did so.