I Forge Iron

Roman anvils

Hi all. I am very new to the forum and am turning to you for help about 2 Roman anvils found at a site in West Berkshire, UK. Both were found in the same field and close to a Roman villa. The first one is approximately 180mm tall, 190mm wide and 100mm deep (weighs 18Kg). It has a hole in the top (pritchel or hardie??) which comes through the front in an open groove. Can you tell me why it does this? Would the hole be to hold tools or to make and head nails as some sources imply? There is also a small (10mm by 5mm deep) hole centrally based in the base (2nd image). Would this be to locate it and stop it moving?

The 2nd anvil I don't have details for but it is a simple block anvil, slightly tapering at one end to insert into a tree stump or something similar I presume.

Does anyone have any references so I can read up about these items. I believe they are quite scarce so to have 2 in the same field is rare indeed.

I would be very grateful for any help understanding these great finds. Thank you, Linz.

20190119_114204 (Medium).jpg

20190119_114430 (Medium).jpg

20190119_114254 (Medium).jpg

2 - Mud Hole anvil no 2 (Medium).jpg

What a great find. the hole on the top of the anvil could be for mounting small anvil stakes that would have a rod on the bottom of them that goes into the hole. to loosen them you could tap from below. or the hole could be used for punching through material. the slot would allow the divot (displaced disk of punched material) to be knocked through the work piece. its quite possible that the bottom hole is for a stake of some kind to mount the block into wood. 

I would not be at all surprised if the anvil had some kind of horn on it at some point, it looks to me like the original outline is corroded and this is eaten away..

Thank you Basher and Mark for your comments. I did wonder whether there had possibly been a horn present which had been knocked off. We've dated the villa which is less than 100m from both anvil find spots, to roughly AD 350 - 380, so quite late Roman. A few coins and weights have also been found near the find spots. The base hole does look sharp I agree so we'll need to do a bit more detective work on that!

Many thanks for the tip TRF, it's now in my Amazon shopping basket! Glad to hear you're interested in the Roman period too. Whilst excavating the villa in 2017 we uncovered half of a remarkable mosaic floor (google Boxford mosaic). Back this year to record the whole thing! The anvils were found by metal detecting a good number of years before my group started working there but I'm writing the metalwork report so thought I should include them.

Thanks all for the great comments and interest. I haven't yet seen the anvil at Bath so must make a trip over that way sometime. There are some wonderful carvings on tombstones, I especially like the one Cincinnatus posted. here's another from 1st century. In Rome and Pompeii (and other parts of Italy, they had a different style of anvil with a concave base forming four 'feet'.

f0cc9036e468e74166f46dc573bd2ca7 (Large).jpg

What is even more amazing is that we use tools the resemble the tools they used 2000+ years ago.  Our metallurgy is more precise and the steels are harder but they used tong, hammers, anvils, and fire.  Kind of neat to think about.  

Went to Pompeii last year and saw what was described as a blacksmith shop in the city.

Blacksmith Shop Pompei.jpg

I'm a bit thrown off by the first photo  That appears to be a tube...cast iron surrounding?  A quick bit of digging implies they were forged of sponge iron and not cast but that sure does look like a tube was inserted in the photo--maybe it's a distortion from the view?  A delamination and not a separate tube?

And for those pondering whether they might actually be more modern--here is a known roman anvil that's almost a dead match.  The site says it's a nail making hole.

Roman-nail-headers-and-anvil-Reprinted-w

I don't think applying for a grant to use the artifacts would be considered, maybe a good way to get banished form the museum though. Duplicate and use it might work. 

The carvings show artists were as much slaves to accuracy then as they are now. The seated smith's anvil is WAY too high, he'd be heeling every blow and the second carving shows the origin of the joke. "When I nod my head hit it!"

Thanks for the links, I love this stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.

I can see where you are coming from Kozzy but here is another angle which shows it more as a rather scrappy gouge. The example above is from a shipwreck off Turkey and is a great comparison. What actually is sponge iron and is a 'nail making hole' feasible?

20190119_114907 (Medium).jpg

Having a hole in the anvil as a nail header strikes me as impractical rather than a separate tool because of the difficulty in removing the nail after it is headed.  Often the nail has to be tapped out of the header from the bottom.  It strikes me that this would be difficult if the nail was down in the anvil.  Also, just making a hole in the anvil for this purpose would be much more difficult than making a nail header.  Occam's Razor would argue that the hole is a pritchel hole or a tool holding site.

Also, the hole is round while the roman nails I have seen have all been square (when they were not too rusted to tell the original shape.)

Possibly a bit of experimental archaeology is called for.

BTW, what is the diameter of the hole?

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I assume nails were the most common item made by the blacksmith. So it make sense to have a special feature for it in the anvil. And I think this form is very functional:

Yes, the nail is square. But this shape is formed by the hammer and anvil's face. Not a tool. The head is round, and this hole is good for it. As for removal - you can tap the nail sideways from the open channel's side. As the nail is tapered, it will tilt and loosen.

Are there common nails of the period to be compared to the hole's size?

(+1 on experimental archeology)

On 1/28/2019 at 1:17 PM, Linz said:

I can see where you are coming from Kozzy but here is another angle which shows it more as a rather scrappy gouge. The example above is from a shipwreck off Turkey and is a great comparison. What actually is sponge iron and is a 'nail making hole' feasible?

The sponge is the raw iron bloom before all the slag has been hammered out.  Hammering out all the slag is a lot of work and on something big like an anvil requires several re-heats so sometimes on rough work that part is cut a bit short--and leaves a big block like might be used for an anvil a bit more spongy than something more important like the parts you'd be making on the anvil.

I assumed that nailmaking at that time would lean more toward what we now call spikes..and it would be similar in that you'd have a separate header which sits over the hole when making the heads.  However, I'm not a new-ager channeling an ancient roman smith so might be full of Sterquilinus  (google says that's roman for manure).