I Forge Iron

Just a photo.

alexandr

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting beehives Alex. Are they plastic, maybe insulated? Are the yellow bands the comb frames? The look horizontal. Do the bees build combs between the bands? I was under the impression they didn't build horizontal combs but I don't know much about bee keeping.

Frosty The Lucky.

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

Are they plastic, maybe insulated? Are the yellow bands the comb frames? The look horizontal. Do the bees build combs between the bands? I was under the impression they didn't build horizontal combs but I don't know much about bee keeping.

HI Jer !

The hives are foam plastic, warm. Yellow, regular spacer. It has ventilation holes. I study on YouTube how to keep bees in these hives. Lots of new information.

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

Do you have condensation problems in winter? Foam should improve that situation and reduce the feed needs of the hive over winter. 

Frosty The Lucky.

These hives have a well thought out ventilation system.  I'll see how good it is next winter.

IMG_20221203_174028.jpg

16 hours ago, SLAG said:

Guys,

If severe condensation is a problem, think about using a dehumidifier.

SLAG.

I can't even imagine what it looks like.  Haven't heard of this method.

Where do those vents go in the hive Alex? If they're at the top wouldn't they let warm air out too? Then again if they were at the bottom I don't see how air would circulate very well unless there are vents at or near the top too. Being adjustable by the number and position says good things to me.

Frosty The Lucky.

I know something now I didn't earlier. How's that useless? Think of it, a designated crew beating their wings to increase ventilation in the hive brings new meaning to the term "Fan club" doesn't it?

I'm a firm believer in there being no useless knowledge, just some I don't know what to do with . . . YET. Every now and then I run into a situation I don't know how to handle and a long forgotten voice or image of a page, drawing, etc. comes to mind with just what I need. If nothing else enough I can look up the full story. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Wednesday, Dec. 07 we got our first serious snowfall. Of course I was on the list for new snow tires and didn't have the plow hung on the pickup truck. They do NOT like changing tires on a truck with a plow on it.

Sooooo I spent 3 days of hard physical labor digging the plow out, and getting the tracks cleared enough to get the truck and plow lined up and then I had to call for help. The road plow trucks  typically berm across our driveway and I had to hit it pretty hard to get the pickup out to get to the tire shop. Anyway, the owner of a local company that plows commercial lots came over, did a great job of clearing the berm and brought a minion. He and the minion, with  me in the pickup following directions literally manhandled the plow into the receivers. 

Next year I'm getting the tires changed over and plow hung BEFORE it snows!

The pic is the snowfall as tromped down I'd shoveled for easier walking but I'm standing on hard pack, not the ground, so add 3-4" to the 16" as indicated by the label on my "ExtraToughs." 

And yes, a selfie of my Extra Toughs is almost too stereotypically Alaskan. I spent 4 hours plowing yesterday and have at least 2-3 more to clean up today, once it's light enough to see.

Frosty The Lucky.

58706152_Dec0522snowfall.JPG.7ee0db9072aca7b440a416064efe91a2.JPG

Frosty with wintertires it is always the same.

Or you change them to late, meaning you have trouble reaching the shop or you are to early like in a month before the snow.

I have for my own cars (not the companycar) an extra set of rims+wheels. So i changed them out when they predicted cold weather.

Not that we get a real winter. Ours are wet and around freesing. So more fun. So this year i try eu allyeartires as wintertires. According to the test they are perfectly designed for conditions we in west-europe call winter.

I've only ever had mud and snow tires once before marrying Deb and those were literally a gift. I worked at a service station and one of the customers had bought a set for their car on sale, then he was rotated to a southern base. We had a pretty good relationship customer/"pump jockey, grease monkey" and he stopped by one day and gave me the brand new set of tires. 

Anyway, Deb doesn't feel comfortable without studded tires in winter, even if she doesn't drive the vehicle so even the pickup has studs. I've always driven on "all season" tires.

This plow doesn't have gates so it spills a lot of snow which makes berms on each side so it's pretty easy to get bogged down backing out for another push. Snow tires are a good idea on it and these new ones have an aggressive tread pattern and work a treat. Happily I rarely take it anywhere off the property except to fill the tank or rarely is Deb needs the SUV at the same time. 

We live on a class B road which is jointly maintained by the State and Borough (county) so we usually have pretty dry pavement between us and town or Anchorage Getting around our place is a different story.

Heck, I'm embarrassed how badly a lousy 12"-16" snowfall has locked up the road system but all road maintenance has had budget cuts in the last few years.  3 warm winters meant they could spend the money elsewhere. <sigh>

Sorry about that but it REALLY ticks me off.

Frosty The Lucky.

The issue here is mostly ice on the highways, we rarely get heavy snow EXCEPT LAST NIGHT! At least I have the plow hung and can take care of it before it has time to set up. Still . . . <sigh>

Modern all season tires do surprisingly well until you get into wet heavy snow that packs under the tires into wet slushy . . . stuff.

We got another 14+" last night and it's supposed to drop another 6-8" today and tomorrow. And I JUST got everything cleaned up! It was snowing but not too bad when I left to go curling last night, (we won again and I have video I haven't looked at yet) but when I walked to the SUV there was better than 10" and being Palmer it was blowing probably 20mph so it was drifting. Like a dummy I'd parked down wind to the building so there was considerable driftage ON the Dodge!:angry:

While driving in a white out isn't a white knuckle experience for me having lots of professional experience, it wasn't a relaxing drive. I won't go into the details of a relatively low view point, short wheel based vehicle, gusty cross winds, drifts and an average maybe 100' of visibility. It wasn't a clencher but wasn't fun.

Now I get to wade out to the pickup and push more snow. 

It's nothing to compare to what folks down south are getting but it stinks anyway.

Frosty The Lucky.

We're due a nasty storm.  I hope the Hospital has tried out their diesel system.  Wife has stocked up on iron rations for me and some goodies as well.  Vienna sausages, crackers, cheese,  Hopefully we can hide out here and avoid the 100 miles in wind and storm and nasty!   My minions swept our chimney at home and wife had bought a spare cord of firewood.  Looking forward to being home again!