I Forge Iron

Just a photo.

alexandr

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Frosty said:

I was wondering how many years a wooden bee hives last. It just now occurred to me you would need new hives when one swarms or to prevent it. 

I ordered a few more new hives, they should be sent by the end of the week. I made wooden beehives over 20 years ago.

Jer !

A few years ago, there were 17 bee colonies in the apiary. Then there was a big break. Now I plan 10-12 bee colonies. With age, I will forge less, perhaps there will be 25-20 hives. I have a very good place for honey collection.

Most of the Apiarists I know only run maybe 10-12 hives and have them spread out, a couple here maybe one or two elsewhere. The folks with flower farm around here keep their own bees.

Keeping bees is less physical than forging but making a living would just be a matter of how many hives a person could keep properly. Sounds like a nice retirement job. 

Frosty The lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Several times a week I pass by this place, but I have not entered the palace for more than 15 years. Palace of Emperor Paul I in Gatchina. Now there is a serious restoration. At the end of the working day "opened" a new restaurant.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

IRLp6R5Tlu0.jpg

ItNwvx1DoA0.jpg

QbPTOMMmAi4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good grief Alex those are some of the prettiest hives I've ever seen! They look like foam. If so I bet that makes over wintering the hives much easier. How much wax do you recover in a season and Is there a market for it?

Frosty The Lucky.

Evening Alex! (вощина) translates Honeycomb, the wax cells. Yes? I don't understand changing wax for foundation honeycomb. I thought bees made their own honeycomb. Is the foundation a form to cause the bees to make the honeycomb in a certain way or place? 

Frosty The Lucky.

We already have a day))

Usually the wax is collected, melted and cleaned.  Then it is changed to ready-made foundation in beekeeping stores.  Some make foundation on their rollers.  Your foundation is better, there are many additives in the purchased ones.  On foundation, bees build honeycombs faster.

I'll give this wax to the bees.  They will take the rest of the honey from there.

IMG_20230823_103630.jpg

IMG_20230823_103535.jpg

IMG_20230823_103514.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

On Saturday, a festival dedicated to A. Kuprin (famous Russian writer) was held in Gatchina and the city’s birthday was celebrated. Many events were held. At the request of the editor of a local newspaper, I made a gift for the winner of the “Battle of Poets” competition.

JEeysluQCMA.jpg

nnQbTiLP1oE.jpg

oYiSul8Mot0.jpg

QjZCHbA3CYM.jpg

RPkshcC7pnk.jpg

siE6lAIR91w.jpg

TisXdwOWjNg.jpg

TWOyP8cXKIo.jpg

XvzvAG5e28s.jpg

yn8byV-F2BI.jpg

• 3 weeks later...