I Forge Iron

Just a photo.

alexandr

23 hours ago, George N. M. said:

What do you do with the flame?  Warm up the already cooked cold food on forks, sort of like fondue?  I assume this is a Russian birthday tradition, like a western birthday cake.  Madelynn asks what are the types of food shown.

HI George !

Flame for beauty, there are smoldering coals under the plate. It seems to me that we don’t have any traditions, everyone celebrates as it suits them. Some people like to drink and eat a lot. No one in our family drinks alcohol. Assorted platter, beef, turkey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another place in Russia I could spend a couple weeks walking around looking and asking questions. Maybe some day. <sigh>

What is the structure in the 3rd. picture, it looks like an aqueduct but?

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Another place in Russia I could spend a couple weeks walking around looking and asking questions. Maybe some day. <sigh>

What is the structure in the 3rd. picture, it looks like an aqueduct but?

Frosty The Lucky.

Market square, Yaroslav's settlement.  (Ярославо городище) The place where the Novgorod Veche took place.

I just spent a couple hours reading and have an idea of how ancient and complicated the history of Novogrod is. Now I'm going over the bronze(?) door looking for scenes from other historic art I recognize.

Is the "original" Veche bell still there?

Frosty The Lucky.

22 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I just spent a couple hours reading and have an idea of how ancient and complicated the history of Novogrod is. Now I'm going over the bronze(?) door looking for scenes from other historic art I recognize.

Is the "original" Veche bell still there?

Frosty The Lucky.

The oldest bell is approximately the middle of the 14th century, before the reign of Ivan the Terrible.

IMG-20220727-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220726-WA0018.jpg

IMG_20220725_170541.jpg

IMG_20220725_170449.jpg

IMG_20220725_170000.jpg

IMG-20220727-WA0001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's good to hear, one of the things that made me agree with Deb to make an offer on the land we live on is it's near the top of a ridge so water doesn't build up here nor does much run down past us. We're also below the windiest top of the ridge. 

by in "your area" I was asking thinking of a little farther away. St. Petersburg for instance, are the rivers staying within their banks, etc.

I'm just curious, an awful lot of the US is suffering flooding, some whole towns were virtually wiped out.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 8/8/2022 at 1:18 AM, Frosty said:

by in "your area" I was asking thinking of a little farther away. St. Petersburg for instance, are the rivers staying within their banks, etc.

A few years ago, the construction of the dam was completed. No more flooding problems. Previously, with a strong western wind, the Neva overflowed its banks.692150667_Opera_2022-08-08_085104_life-globe_com.png.a07d0183222ec9815263471a7b5b65ff.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Opera Снимок_2022-08-08_085529_yandex.ru.png

Opera Снимок_2022-08-08_085934_yandex.ru.png

That's good to see, we're getting a lot of flooding in places, that don't get a lot of heavy rain. They're getting crazy heavy rain this year though. Larger cities or areas that have to deal with flooding aren't doing so badly but it's hard to prepare for things that haven't happened in a couple centuries. 

Your rain video made me wonder about you and yours.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's always difficult to deal with. here in the Netherlands the discussion is always about the height of the dikes, do we build them for a storm that happens once every 10.000 years, every 100.000 years? For "daily" use they are high enough, but if you have a storm like in 1953 that you are not prepared for, half the country floods.

~Jobtiel

Here at over 4500' elevation down in the valley (and I can see 10K feet from my front door), it's hard to think of being below sea level.  OTOH I was at an old miner's bar in Colorado once at 9000' and imported beer from the Netherlands tended to explode when opened according to the barkeeper...

18 hours ago, Frosty said:

Larger cities or areas that have to deal with flooding aren't doing so badly but it's hard to prepare for things that haven't happened in a couple centuries. 

The dam solves 3 problems. Protecting the city from flooding, a ring road passes through it and connects the island Kotlin Kronstadt with the "mainland".

Thomas, that's pretty cool actually! When we used to go to Switzerland and chips bags we brought would also inflate up to near bursting pressures.

The realization hits sometimes when I drive over the bridge to the next island/peninsula over and the tide is up, sometimes the water reaches maybe half a meter before the top of the dike while from "ground" level the dike is 6 or more  meters high!

~Jobtiel

Altitude is something we have to deal with regularly here at 7500' (and we can see 12 and 13 k ' peaks from the house and shop).  Air tight packages, like Jobtiel's chip bags, which have been sealed at lower altitudes are "inflated" here.  When opening something liquid or semi liquid, e.g. yoghurt, you always tip the container so that the gas vents when opened rather than blorting out the contents onto your hand or face.  Baking has to be adjusted for altitude (more flour, less heat).  things have to be boiled longer. IIRC the boiling point of water at 7500' is about 198 degrees F.  I probably have to crank the coal forge blower a bit more than at lower altitude and I'm sure my gasser would be hatter if run at sea level.

When I tell folk my birth date I usually add, "When the world was young and dinosaurs roamed the earth."  If they are skeptical I tell them that I rode a dinosuar (tricetatops) to school every day, uphill both ways and carrying my little brother and the dinosaur. 

Our oxygenation level is about 90+% which is pretty normal because when your body adjusts to altitude it produces more red blood cells to carry the limited oxygen.  If you go up in altitude too fast you can develop altitude sickness which, in a few severe cases, can be fatal.  Altitude sickness occurs pretty regularly in folk from low altitudes who jet into high altitude Colorado ski areas.  Usually, it can be treated with rest and some oxygen therapy but in some cases people have to return to lower altitudes as quickly as possible.

When we go up to the Medicine Bow Mountains, about 35 miles west of Laramie, to close to 11,000' we notice that even though we are acclimated to 7500' we still can get breathless with exertion and have to rest more often.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Mauna Kea Observatory in Hawaii  is at 13796 feet on top of a peak there and they have a LOT of issues with folks coming up from sea level  with no acclimation.  (I've been to the ALMA site in the Andes, 16400' and they require a heart test and drivers must use supplemental O2.  It's not even on top of a peak, but in a saddle!)

Alexandr, the architecture in your country is beautiful, I thank you for sharing it with us. I’m always amazed at the pictures you send of your work and your country, I wish that I was able to walk around and enjoy it with you. 
Did you help the blacksmith work on any projects while you were there?