I Forge Iron

General help on a brick forge/ needing info

If it is as Das said, I would encourage you to rethink your stance. Most guys would fall all over themselves at a chance to get some formal training. I don't know you, your mom, or your relationship with her. As far as I can go is to say that showing yourself to responsible helpful and steadfast is the best first step to getting approval from your parents on anything. If she is not the type you can talk things out with, show her with your actions. If she sees you are serious in other areas of your life, (school, relationships, work, etc.) she would be more likely to believe you when you say you are serious with blacksmithing. I didn't mean to preach a sermon, but ya asked for it, so....

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@old school blacksmith, when I was your age, I was incredibly lucky to have my parents spring for a series of weekend basic blacksmithing classes, and EVERYTHING that I have done since springs from the lessons I learned then. Having someone with real experience showing you in person what to do and -- perhaps more importantly -- watching you work and helping your correct your mistakes has value that no amount of watching YouTube videos or reading on a forum (even this one!) can possibly convey. To be sure, there can be value in learning from your mistakes, but it's even better to learn from someone who knows what mistakes not to make.

If it is as I read it, then yeah what they said. Just trying to understand what you are saying since it wasn't clear.

Please proof read your posts before hitting submit, and ask yourself if that would be clear to those that don't personally know you or your situation. Add details. It saves us a lot of guess work and helps others help you. 

ok, ok, ok, I hear you guys and yes this is a good opportunity for me and all. but their is some reasons to my insanity which my not come out right if I typed it. any how though out history their have been master smiths. who where not taught by another person in the art of smithing and still have succeeded in becoming a master with out aid if my memory is correct. and I'm still thinking of taking the class and I might do it/ take it so don't wory I know I shouldn't pass this opportunity!! and who knows he might teach me something about swordsmithing. so yeah call me a xxxx: if you need to but I know my last message was xxxxxx up!

No sir, master smiths served an arinteship with a master, earned his journeyman's papers and went out and worked for a hand full of other masters to himself gain the knowledge to forge a masterwork to present to the guild to obtain his masters papers.

Even the first blacksmith had learned to work bronze, copper and other metals befor he began experimenting with iron.

Going it alone is a modern idea, our ancestors figured out from the get go that alone was a death sentence. This why banashment was such an effective punishment.

ask the guys here that started smithing befor the internet, who struggled for years not knowing that they weren't the only fool out there. Take the dang class, jump start you path buy several months for every day you spend with w competent teacher. 100 hours on your own or 1 with a teacher who has 10,000 hours. Your a stubborn young fool to insist on going it alone.

a smith threw out history was not one man, he was part of a team. A master, a pair of journeymen and an apprentice or two. Even a Norse farmer or traveling smith relied on trails to pump the bellows and to either hold the tongs or swing a sledge (about 3-4#). We work alone now because even slave wages are too high for us to pay. Why do you think we invented power hammers, forging presses, drop hammers and the like? To eliminate the need for apprentices to pump bellows and journeyman to swing sledges. 

Blacksmithing was never a one man game.

Xxxx you have a strong sense of honor of smithing and if I'm wrong I'm wrong I will admit it xxxx and I know that the half of the xxxx I say ticks y'all off but I'm a kid that is still learning the ropes of smithing so please understand that when you get ticked off at something I said just please xxxxxxx correct me alright xxxx >:( Dang y'all! now xxxx  You know how much it is to see a xxxxxxx like me to be seen by y'all that is interested in the art. So quiet xxxxxxx getting ticked off at me and correct me. Also I know that I'm getting into stuff that can xxxx myself up really bad if I don't be careful with how I do it. I'm not blaming you guys but I understand that you care about me and all but I have to say something that you might not want to hear from me but y'all some times act like xxxxxx teenagers yelling at my xxxx.

What I just said is mostly about right and I'm being a little stubborn punk it's just the way I try to hear from you guys doesn't always answer my question  easy like so I can understand that you are saying to me. (sigh) so I know that I don't know alot about the history of our blacksmithing brotheren but just enough to express myself in the art of smithing.

Early smiths were definitely taught by people who had gone before them all they way back to the beginning when they were forging iron blades to look like bronze ones! 

As mentioned; in medieval times there was a guild system that REQUIRED you to train under a master smith, 7 years was a typical term, before you could try to get journeyman status. If you were certified as a journeyman then you were expected to "journey" and learn under different master smiths.

Where are you getting these ideas on Medieval Smithing? They are so erroneous it's making me curious about who is spreading such misinformation!   May I commend to your attention "Cathedral Forge and Waterwheel; Technology and Invention in the Middle Ages"  as an easy to read book that covers a lot of the technology of the medieval period.

Even modern greats like Alexander Weygers were trained as part of their engineering classes. Shipboard engineering had a much more intensive training in things like smithing and casting as it might be required to deal with an issue out at sea; (Shoot my Father got a degree in Electrical Engineering and had to forge a screw driver in one of his classes back in the 1950's)

1 hour ago, old school blacksmith said:

I'm talking about the midevil era about blacksmiths when they didn't have any one to talk to or master under! Not this era sorry I should had specified to you guys :(

Your perception of reality doesn't make it accurate.  Through the entirety of human history skills and information have always been passed on to others who then add to the knowledge and skill base.  As mentioned, those who worked with iron when it became available already had metal working knowledge with non-ferrous metals.  They adapted to the new metal.  They did not start from ground zero and figure every little detail out for themselves.

Sir Isaac Newton (arguably) was the first to introduce the world to calculus, but he did not invent the number system or the mathematical operations that were required to develop calculus.  He built off of those who had come before.

The idea that you are somehow "cheating" by learning from someone else who knows more than you is just silly.

What is your goal here?  Seriously.  So far I've seen you ask a lot of questions, many of which tend to be asked only by people who have not done research and reading on their own.  You have been quite resistant to those who are trying to help point you in the right direction.  What exactly do you want to do and/or get out of this craft?  Are you just wanting to some day hold up a sword you made yourself?  Do you sincerely enjoy working with your hands and figuring out how to accomplish goals with what you have available to you?  Have you heated steel and beat on it with a hammer yet?

Never said you were a punk, I insinuated you were a fool if you didn't take the opportunity.

I want you to look at all the responses you have had to your questions on this thread, now think about how long it took these men and women to answer you. Now multiply that buy minimum wage (and most of them make 3-5 times that) we have made a significant investment in trying to help you get started. We don't want you to make the same mistakes we did, we want you to learn from ours and go out and make new ones! 

Now if your done having grade school tantrum, I have a simple question, do you want us to continue helping you? If so put on your big boy pants, and except the fact that if your wrong we will tell you so, if you seem to be intentionally obtuse we will call you in it, but we will give you the best advice we can.