I Forge Iron

lizard card holder

For sometime I have just had the cards we attach to tourist stuff in a plastic holder. I had a thought today that in a forge plastic wasn't really appropriate. I make a lot of these shifty lizards so this one has become a card holder. I usually lock up the adjuster by flattening the thread in the forge, but this one is left adjustable so that as cards are removed, it can tighten up the pack. I only made it today and it has already had some comment from visitors. Should have made him ages ago!

cards1.JPG

cards2.JPG

cards 3.JPG

9 hours ago, Daswulf said:

He's a cute little guy Aus.  

Hmm... You probably could make some with punched holes in the feet to go on walls. 

I have done that with geckoes, Das, with the wider, almost webbed feet. But these shifty lizards are really modelled on the ground dwelling dragon lizards which scurry around here. The kids called them tommy roundheads. I have made a few of them with the front leg raised as if waving. They do that. There are lots of theories about why ... perhaps some relief from the hot ground. In the west they are known as wavy lizards.

Some people think I make the tails a bit long, but the tail makes up about 2/3 of the total body length. Das, you know how important proportion is in these things. Google tommy roundhead and see what I mean.

Biggundoctor, I like the spring loaded idea, but can't get my head around the mechanism for that. Some experimenting necessary.

Yeah Aus, I googled them and the tail is spot on. closest thing we have here in my area are salamanders but they are amphibians and pretty small so... no fun lizards here.

Maybe I should introduce some shifty lizards into the wild around here. :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:05 PM, Daswulf said:

He's a cute little guy Aus.  

Hmm... You probably could make some with punched holes in the feet to go on walls. 

I took you up on this suggestion today, Aric. This little fellow is meant to look like one of those geckoes we see on the walls every night here. Started with a railway fish plate bolt and used flattened bolts for legs. He's attached to the post above my forge at work and some visitors have already noticed it. I think I'll make the next one from plain round bar. The head is a bit too big.

DSC_7378.JPG

DSC_7379.JPG

The key it to just get a good heat where you want it to expand. ( for me usually just on an end)  Use a water can to cool any area outside of where you want. I do mine with the heated side down on the anvil and fairly rapid taps on the top of the piece. Not heavy blows. It does like to bend a bit so just correct it as you go. I have also heard to turn the piece as you hit it. This seems to help a bit but a lot of times it still bends a bit so I just correct as I go.  I wish I was better at explaining things. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Jackdawg said:

Just needs a frill!

If you find keeping the cards in his gob a bit difficult, you could always turn up his front toes to hold the card base, and lean the cards against his front legs.

> JD, Saw blades make a good frill.

DSC_0007.JPG

• 3 weeks later...