I Forge Iron

How mad is mad??? wood splitter

Wayne

OK, not sure where this needs to go - possibly the safety section??

But whatever, just seen this guy on YouTube, check out the wheel of debt wood splitter.

This has to be a Darwin award waiting to happen.

I'm guessing neither of those has been up against some large elm logs.  That was some of the most frustrating wood to split that I've run into.  For wood that splits as easily as they were working with a simple splitting maul would be about as fast.

They make it lood easy because they are using easy to split, straight grain wood.

You ever split a gum tree. (grin) It won't split. If it does you have to take an axe and cut the fibers.

Sycamore grows in a twist and is a bear to split. Easier to cut into blocks with a chain saw than to split.

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

"New England Life, of course"

New England?  Looks like UK in the address to me either way  we are not this stupid in splitting wood.  Good Lord this is a fools tool just a matter of time and he will be a "one arm paper hanger" as my dad use to say.   Main reason I seldom watch anything on You Tube.     

If he slowed it down, maybe made a reverse switch, got rid of the wheel and used some sort of ram system to push the wood against a solid metal base while simulatneously pushing a wedge into the wood, he'd be fine!! 

Oh wait, that's a hydraulic wood splitter I just described.... Hope he enjoys his fun while he's alive. 

OK Back in the '60's  there was an ad campaign showing people in ritzy situations about to get creamed, eg:  a nice yacht is in drydock and the fellow is walking under it while the props are obviously failing..., Meanwhile an onlooker is asking them about their life insurance company and the answer is "New England Life---of Course"  (google New England life insurance ads images for examples.)

Now we've dealt with the history lesson....I'd worry about the weld failing on the splitting maul with the operator standing in the "throw path".  The hand powered one is just a treadle hammer where the fellow hasn't figured out that the leg muscles are stronger than the arm muscles....

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I should point out that in the hand powered "treadle hammer" variant at least 1 hand is maintained in a safe zone...going to foot powered does allow for both hands to be present in the impact zone.

I think I wouldn't put a foot treadle where a cut log could potentially push down the lever- Even though there is more power, the hand way looks a little safer...

Any piece of equipment with enough power to split wood has enough to put you in the hospital. Even a log slow hydraulic splitter can sent splinters flying if a knot breaks just right, wrong.

For speed, power and controllability I really like Kinetic splitters. http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/log-splitters-wood-cutting/rapidfire-splitter/

If you split much wood they're pretty unbeatable folk who carry DR love to give demos and let a person give one a try.

Frosty The Lucky.

I asked that and the demonstrator laid a large block in it sideways, the splitter went through a 14" +/- dia. birch round about as fast as it would've split it. It turned it into kindling in seconds. Knots make more noise and you have to watch for flying bits and splinters but they just seem to go so fast no slower no faster without regard to what they're going through.

At a guess the 5+hp motor is spinning two 90lb.? flywheels at a few hundred RPM there is a small dia. pinion(?) gear on the shaft and the rack is the ram. When you push the lever it lifts the ram to the gears and it goes till it hits the dog at the end of the stroke and retracts. All at the same speed. The blade is at the bottom of the frame think anvil on power hammer and the ram is a pusher. The full stop position on the lever is detented so a slap and the thing just stops.

If I were still cutting our wood I'd buy one of them rather than rent a hydraulic. Heck, I might try making one I actually had a similar idea years ago but it's on a burner never got back to. Bear in mind I haven't even watched a video in a few years so my memory may be off or the things changed. I don't cut or split wood anymore so I don't lust for better equipment and tools and don't follow the. I DO however walk right by these splitters every time I visit Craig Taylor up the road. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

OK, how many of you remember Tom Clark, Ozark School of Blacksmithing?  In this video from the old TV show, "That's Amazing" Tom, with his axe, was pitted against two big old boys and a hydraulic log splitter.  There was another video but I could not find it.  In the other video Tom split the cord of wood with his axe before the other two guys got their cord split.  The guys complained and claimed that it was a trick, maybe easy to split wood and they go harder to split wood.  Tom said, "Do you want to do it again, right now?  You pick the cord you want and pick the cord for me."  Then the little, maybe 140# Tom Clark split this cord and beat them again.  Then just to show off he stood a penny match on a log and did a full swing.  The match was gone and the guys were saying that he had just knocked it off and it flew off somewhere.  Tom said, "Come look at this" and Tom picked his axe up from where it was laying on the stump and there was 1/2 of the penny match, split exactly in half lengthwise.  The guys tucked their tails and left without another word.

It did not matter what contest Tom entered, Log Splitting, Motor cross, Bulls Eye pistol shooting, blacksmithing he always won.  The only contest that he ever did not win was bladder cancer,,,,but he sure did try.  Xxxx I miss that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Z2UXEFUIw