I Forge Iron

Are we an endangered species?

ausfire

So I have just finished three days of demos at the Cairns Show. Opposite my demo area was the Animal Nursery where kids could go and pat a baby alpaca or cuddle a duckling or feed lambs etc. You know the kind of thing.

During a quiet time I strolled across for a look-see and noticed a pen of sheep the kids were feeding. Now, I don't know if you grew up with nursery rhymes but I recall one about Baa Baa Black Sheep, Have you any wool? etc. Above the pen on the back wall the poem was written on a banner. What amazed me was that the word 'black' has been removed for reasons of political correctness. It might offend some people apparently. That is ridiculous. I ruins the metre of the poem too. The sheep were black for goodness sake!

So how long will we be able to call ourselves blacksmiths? Are we an endangered species? Will we have to become metalsmiths or ironsmiths to appease the thought police??

Here's the rhyme. Loses something doesn't it?

DSC_6389.JPG

I'm not sure whether I should be thankful you also have to deal with the thought police in Oz, or sad that you are in the same boat as us in the US.

Give me some more time. I'm still working of a PC name that uses at least 12 words to do the same thing as "blacksmith"

According to Merriam Webster

Full definition of dame

1. 1 :  a woman of rank, station, or authority: as a archaic :  the mistress of a household b :  the wife or daughter of a lord c :  a female member of an order of knighthood —used as a title prefixed to the given name

2. 2 a :  an elderly woman b : woman

I think the definition of of some words, vs the understanding of some words, has changed with time. I have never said I'm gay.

N.N.F.                                                Beautiful Manchester Michigan USA 

The history of the term "black sheep" seems to wander all over the place but it has recently (last 150 years or so) been partially diverted to be a racial slur--implying of that "one drop" stuff in American vernacular to some people.  No, that's clearly not the original meaning but as NoName said, definitions do migrate over time.  There are lots of terms which we use, not thinking about the slur aspect.  "Indian giver" is one--which was originally a slur against the [white] government not honoring treaties in the USA but slid to imply that Native Americans were the "indian givers" who didn't honor their gifts.

This one is pretty lightweight and on the edge.  I probably would have left it in it's original form. However, I can see why someone might choose to leave the offending word out.  Get over it.  If people choose to respect those who might find offense in something, good for them.  

No name: Frosty mugs?? No, they are  wool bales. Not very well drawn, I admit.

Daswulf: You a black sheep of the family! Can't imagine that!

Kozzy: "If people choose to respect those who might find offence in something, good for them" - Yes, but you have to draw the line at absolute stupidity. This is an example of PC gone mad. Anyone who is offended by a black sheep has as big a problem as the writer.

Jackdawg: Yeah mate, my fingers itched for a Nikko pen. And I wasn't the only one who commented. Perhaps we Australians are less tolerant of this sort of rubbish.

This is the type of thing that will make me jump on a soap box for a good 10 minutes or so.  It's easy to cross the line into political topics on this one, but I'll just leave a few short thoughts:

The right to speak your mind cannot coexist with a right to be free from offense,

Words only have the power over you that you allow them to have, and

You cannot control how other people behave or speak.  You can only control what comes out of your own mouth (unless you grab hot metal and then all bets are off).

Good grief, the black sheep was to make counting the flocks easier; X number of sheep not of color (Ewwwww. I got PC in my MOUTH! :wacko:) per black one.

People of little or no consequence have to think of some reason to feel important that's easier than doing something of value so they invent causes. All to often their accomplishments are to drag everybody down to a level they feel their equal.

Frosty The Lucky.

My wife bought some fleeces from an Australian fellow that had started collecting the blacksheep that turn up from time to time; his father told him he was an idiot as you can't process black wool in machinery that's used for white wool without a total cleaning and so there is no market for it.  Well he finally built up enough stock that he could bring an entire bale of black fleeces to the auction and the Japanese bidders went wild over it, paying much more than the white fleeces were going for.  As I understand he got a clout from his father for being a smartxxx  on the way home...

I have sent the sweatshirt quote to my daughter the Vet...

As they say 'You Can't Fix Stupid"   Some People (who really need to find a job where they have to work up a sweat) find Offense in anything or everything.  I'll call my son tonight and tell him he will have to spray paint both of his Black Sheep White or will that be offensive.  I think the "Black Sheep of the family" has more to do with being different from the rest of the flock as black sheep were fewer and further between than others.  That name is superior to most I've been called by my family.  I'll stop here but the big question is what are the schools going to do with Boxes of Crayons?

On July 25, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Kozzy said:

This one is pretty lightweight and on the edge.  I probably would have left it in it's original form. However, I can see why someone might choose to leave the offending word out.  Get over it.  If people choose to respect those who might find offense in something, good for them.  

Ah, but it's okay for you to offend people?  The rhyme is the rhyme, and that's all there is to it.  If you're offended by the word "black" or if you infer anything from the rhyme, that's entirely on you and society doesn't need to bend knee to your every whim.  

The key problem with all this "editing" is that you're picking and choosing who it's okay to offend and who it's not.  Traditionalists like myself are told to "get over it."  Right?  Instead of telling the perpetually-offended that they're off kilter and to get over it, you choose to tell another group the exact same thing.  What makes that group so special that their feelings trump mine?

Not to far from me there is a smallish village renown for it's beer and ale, Theakston's Bewery. Back in 1992 one of the sons, Paul Theakston decided he wanted to do his own thing so opened his own brewery, which he named Black Sheep Brewery, and his signature Black Sheep Ale is one of his most popular brews.

I did hear his parents took offence at the time, and if that is true it is the only time I've known anyone take offence at the term "black sheep" but truth be known, they were a couple of Old Peculiars!

p.s. If you ever visit Masham (pronounced mas-am) in North Yorkshire I thoroughly recommend any product from either brewery.

Smoggy, they were probably more offended that he split from the family brewery and then labeled himself as a black sheep like possibly he wasn't welcome in the family but that's just a wild guess on my part. 

Theres a comedian I saw somewhere on the Internet with a routine about what happens when people get offended. Basically, nothing haha. Nothing happens to you when you get offended. I thought it was pretty funny. 

4 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

Right.  I too am offended by all those people who are so easily offended.  At the same time I will not tolerate intolerance.

I'm ambivalent towards those who are easily offended while at another time I liberally tolerate intolerance.

Anyone here notice how terms evolve. When our founding fathers encouraged "liberal education" "liberal" meant a generous amount, a LOT of.

Frosty The Lucky.

I find it interesting that if anything, and I mean anything, has the word black in it than it is automatically considered offensive and/or racist, but if the word white is mentioned, than no harm done.

Littleblacksmith