I Forge Iron

Need a confidence boost

Steelfinger

This is going to be a long post. Ill try to keep it short. I apologize, much of it is needed venting. if you prefer, skip down to the last couple paragraphs.

Let me start by revealing some stuff about me.

My name is Alex, I'm 19, and live in a suburb. the former means I'm broke and have parental restrictions on the shop I can run, the latter means I have the worst time finding supplies. I also find living in Canada, smithing isn't as popular as it is in the states. I've invested probably 600 dollars (please understand, that's a lot for me), and started last year. my anvil is  5 kg and severely dented, there's cracks in my forge insulation, and a massive pool of slag has solidified on the bottom.

My story starts Saturday night, when I found out I was hosting a party on Thursday, and we would have champagne. Being the nerd that I am, I know how to open champagne with a sword. But having yet to obtain a sword, I decided to make one.

Sunday, the metal market is closed. So I researched everything I could, settled on a design, and resolved to do it. feeling queezy, some peer pressure got me convinced.

Monday, I had a lot to do, but I did it. and had my materials (a full sheet of leather, and brand new steel). I was about to go out to get propane, when I realized the tank had expired, and as much as I'd pay for the propane, the tank was kinda dads responsibility, although he could've just paid me back.

oh, and the steel. I was looking for 1/8 x 1"but he was out. the close varients were either too thick or flimsy, and I was ready to go home untill he showed me the stainless steel. It was so firm, it looked perfect.

I've never worked stainless, and have neglected to research it. all the guy told me it would hold a decent edge, and I cant see a cavalry charge in my near future, so 'decent' was great. of course, I googled for toxicity, and was clear. but it turns out its heat resistant, and harder than regular steel. it also mentioned 304 stainless was XXXXXXXXXX hard, but I was forging it and would only do little grinding. I already bought i, so I committed to using it.

after this, dad took me to weld a 'spring fuller' idea I had. we didn't get propane. I also got called into work, so I figured id spend the morning, do the blade, take it to work and grind it there on the bench grinder.

tuesday, I woke up late, went straight to work, and hoped dad bought propane. it was 6 pm when he did, so another day wasted. I did find out my spring fuller is pretty garbage though.

and this brings me to today. i managed to finish the blade (except the tang, tough to work with). I realized i needed new steel for the guard, so I took my blade to work to grind it (my boss is very nice). it was pointed out that it was covered in patina, so I spent the first two hours getting that off on the belt sander (with a regular general purpose belt, stores I checked didnt have them for metal). also, some of that was spent trying to work it down to remove the hammer marks (there's lots).

I gave up, and spent another 4 hours grinding it because my dumb pride made me think I can finish a sword in a day, and will soften 304 stainless by sheer will.

and this is part of whats wrong. I've spent so much time into this, and should have been doing other things.

the bigger issue came as I sat there, trying to push my guard on over an unfinished tang. I thought about what I have to show for my forge investment. here I finally stopped my impossible task.

I'm a mediocre smith. I made a knife last year, it looks like crap but its pretty good, and this is what I have to show for my forge investment. I haven't made that much, and what I have has usually failed. a bears head, and a spear come to mind. on the plus side, my girlfriend is a magpie and loves that I do this. I made her a leaf once, shiny and blue-purple from heat treatment, and she was so happy, and I love moveing metal like that. But I'm starting to wonder if its just worth it to sell it off, make back some money, and leave this behind me. extra 200 would help for college.

I know I took on a big project that most smiths don't even attempt. And I know I worked a steel that most smiths wont even touch. And I know I'm still a newbie. and prideful, and ambitious. I think I just need some hobby direction, and encouragement. 

I see this in a lot of new guys with all sorts of hobbies, not just blacksmithing. They want to jump right to chapter 25 and make the "neat" things. However with just about anything, you build on what you learned previously. Start at chapter 1 and go step by step slowly thru the process, and you get where you are going fastest. Jumping ahead almost always means you take longer. Your comment on hammer marks is a good example. If you learned how to forge 1st by learning basic hammer control, you will limit hammer marks. Learn to use tooling like set hammers, fullers and flatters, and you can eliminate those marks even farther, From the stand point of making your piece, the time spent doing it "right" is often less than the way you did it, especially when you get to grinding. However learning all these skills takes time and practice. You can't simply skip that. end part 1

just because you do basic skills, doesn't mean that work is "useless". You leaf is a good example. Tapering, fullering, drawing out and spreading, the need for good hammer control to get the texture you want... All important things to know when trying to attain your goal. Do them until you have them down cold, then add on the next skill and repeat. No one gets to the top by starting there. It's those tiny things that makes a good smith into a great smith.

Don't get discouraged just because you bit off more than you can chew. Step back and reach for skills that are easily obtainable. Take satisfaction in accomplishing the best you can and slowly grow your skills rather than get frustrated because you tried to do too much and failed.

Alex: I'm thinking we make your post a sticky, you can be the poster child for why learning to blacksmith by making a sword isn't a winning program.

A 5kg anvil? Is it a little jeweler's bench anvil? If you find yourself a garage sale sledge hammer head you'll be farther ahead. Don't get stuck on the idea it has to look like a "real" anvil, horns aren't nearly as useful as folk think. They're probably more useful for truing up rings or bottom fullers than anything else unless you're making armor.

If you'd like to make swords you can go the stock removal route, buy appropriate stock and grind them to finish. Or forge them after which you get to buy the right grinders and belts and grind them to finish.

Forging is just a series of basic techniques done in the correct sequence. Learning to smith is a good place to start, once you've gained proficiency you can start picking up the specialty skills necessary to make blades and once you've become proficient at that is a good time to start messing with swords.

Not trying to be discouraging but you gotta learn to walk before you can be a triathlete.

Frosty The Lucky.

Alex, your predicament sure takes me back to when I started smithing. All I can say is that things will get better in time, both your skills and your income situation, just be patient. Also; as Frosty kindly pointed out; you really need to work on the basics as unappealing as that may seem to you. A sword may seem like a relatively easy object to forge, I mean they forge them in the movies all the time right? But as you've discovered, there is much more to it. Why not try to hook up with some smiths or knife makers in your area and see if you can barter some of your labour in exchange for their knowledge / shop time? Best of luck to you. 

I feel like its a little moppy for a sticky, but I understand it's importance. I'm alright with it if someone does that. I also think another section of the forum would be more appropriate.

I can't recall why I wanted to smith in the first place, but it probably wasn't for swords.

my biggest issue is, again, the area I'm in. I met one guy at school who actually had the whole kit and caboodle in his back yard, but I only got a couple sessions with him, and I would guess there's no one else remotely close, however I know of a shop about 2 hours drive that offers courses. as far as the internet goes, I feel the basic techniques aren't so well covered. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. I think I'm willing to learn, and not at all opposed to the baby stuff, my first project was to make nails. its just that I really don't know how to continue learning.

and, again, the tools aren't there. I would definitely say my hammer is too heavy, I always feel it in my wrist and that's usually why I stop, but there's no hammer depot. and definitely a flatter would go a long way.

I've got to put it away for the season, but I'm too young to retire. I might find somebody in my college town that would help me out.

I think I'm willing to learn, and not at all opposed to the baby stuff, my first project was to make nails. its just that I really don't know how to continue learning.

and, again, the tools aren't there. I would definitely say my hammer is too heavy, I always feel it in my wrist and that's usually why I stop, but there's no hammer depot. and definitely a flatter would go a long way.

There you go, two projects that you can use to work on skills. A new hammer and a flatter. Plenty of Youtube videos by decent smiths on the subject that you can watch if that's the way you want to learn. As far as hammers, I'm always on teh lookout for used hammers. My 3 primary hammers are my rounding hammer I bought online when I started, my cross peen I picked up at a flea market, and a mid sized ball peen hammer that's the lightest of the bunch and the one I often use for finishing. My flatter/set hammers I made from some 1 1/2" square IIRC, but a piece of axle shaft would do as well. All the tooling like drifts and punches to make them I made myself.

Loads of good things to practice on, tapers, fullering, upseting drifting... Though you will need something a bit heavier to use as an anvil.

so seeing as i just turned 20(as in today lol) and have been at this for just long enough to have a firm grasp on the basics, i can tell you that a sword is a very ambitious project even for someone who has been at it for a while, and while you may have bit off more than you could chew, you still learned something from the experience. Take whatever you learned and apply it to your next project. EVERY time you make something, think(or write it down), what could i do better or could do differently to make this look better or function better etc etc. this helped me a ton, instead of getting frustrated (which i tend to do a lot) i just decided that as long as i learn from it i didnt waste my time.

Google ABANA controlled hand forging and you should get a link to a page with a bunch of PDF files with the basics.You can go exploring from there. there are also a TON of free books available online (you can download them as a PDF as well) if you can find them

also, dont think need all the fancy tools you see people using, a good ball pein from home depot, lowes, princess auto ect in the 2-3lb range will do you just fine. start with a lighter hammer and learn good technique and then move up.

Ah, I thought the mopy nature of running head on into reality was the best part for a sticky. Oh alright I was poking fun at you too. My real point is we're all been there, aiming high isn't a bad thing just don't expect a bulls eye right off.

So hit garage sales for a lighter hammer, any smooth faced hammer will work a treat. I'm always looking for ball peins especially ones with broken handles so I don't have to cut the old one off to forge it into top tools. Besides a hammer with a broken handle is much cheaper than one with a handle.

2lbs. is plenty of hammer to start with, it's much easier to control and hammer control is the thing you need to learn the most.

Find a piece of RR rail for an anvil, it doesn't need to be heavy and forget a horn or hardy hole, neither is necessary. A broken axle W/flange makes an outstanding anvil, you can simply drive it into the ground and it's set up. A little grinding or filing on the flange and you have a nice face and the lug holes are outstanding expedient tool holders, etc.

A fellow here just made a hack for his first ever power hammer tool. Make one for a hand tool, you can use one as a cut off with a hand hammer and they're light. An anvil devil is another good option for a cut off, they just lay on the anvil face and are even lighter than a hack.

So far, everything I've listed but the rail or axle "anvils" will easily fit in a tool bag. A charcoal forge can be an ammo can and a blow drier or sack bellows. A gas forge can be a bean can and Bernzomatic soldering torch. Again fits in a tool bag.

You already have a hammer and if you start making some of the beginner's projects to build your skills sets you'll discover pretty quickly there's a market for simple forged items like wall hooks, S hooks, key fobs, garden tools, bottle openers, etc. With practice you can start selling simple forged items and save up enough to buy the tools you can't make.

This thing can build on it's self but it's work. Good work, good for the soul to take some one else's trash and turn it into useful beautiful desirable products.

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't understand why you're upset.  You did everything possible to set up a failure, and then you achieved a failure.  Where's the problem?

Now, if you wanted to successfully make a sword, you would have, or should have, set yourself up for success.  You didn't do that.  More importantly, you knew you weren't doing that.  So where's the problem?

It might sound rough to say it out loud, but there's the facts.  You thought you could just buy any old chunk of steel, and knock out a passable sword using the very limited equipment and knowledge that you have.   And you pretend to be surprised when life doesn't cooperate with your dreams.

Bottom line is that you've got only the most rudimentary tooling and knowledge, but think you're qualified to make the highest level stuff.  That's hubris, in my estimation, and often goes before the fall.

"I'm a mediocre smith. I made a knife last year, it looks like crap but its pretty good..."  Hmmm, why does your knife look like crap?  If I was to infer from this comment, as well as your tale of sword-making woe, I'd say that you don't actually apply yourself to the task at hand.  You freely admit that you're a mediocre smith, but you're already trying to make knives and swords?  The knife you made looks like crap only because you refused to take the building step-by-step and do everything to perfection.  Instead, like the sword, you tried to force things, rush things, and accept excuses for the shoddy workmanship that you knew you were putting into it.

All throughout life you'll find that success only comes from hard work and applying yourself to the task at hand.  You could have started smithing by making a bunch of hooks, scrolls, shelf brackets, and other such stuff.  Each of those little project could be taken to the highest level, straining for a perfect finish, and learning with each one made.  And each one leads you to more and more knowledge, skill and experience.  After the hundredth hook, you probably would have found yourself selling a few here and there to offset your smithing hobby.

Instead, you just right into the deep end of the pool and can't figure out why you're sitting on the bottom struggling for air.

Well you have received good advice and some admonition. I would put it otherwise.

You have tried the next to impossible and failed. There might be two outcomes.

#1: you give up – then you have learnt next to nothing.

#2: you do not give up – then you have learnt a lot. You have tested and found your PRESENT limitations. A year from now you will be able to make an SSO (Sword shaped object) that would be useless in battles but OK for opening bottles.

I fully understand the ambition to make a sabre for the bottle. Per aspera ad astra is an old saying. Another: aim for the stars and hit the tree lines.

You are probably a lousy blacksmith today but you have started on a long and fascinating journey.

I hope you found another way to open bottles and that the content is tasty.

Göte

PS

The aspiring sword-makers remind me of the time when I held a judo trainer’s license. Youngsters would join in order to learn to win street brawls but after some time, their aim shifted and the found that they never fought in the street again. As one of them told me: “This guy wanted to fight and I just laughed at him.”

Yes, you really did set yourself up for failure. I understand how impressive it would be to decapitate bottles with a handmade sword, but you would be better off honing your skills on rail spike bottle openers and horse shoe openers before attempting things on such a grand scale. 

It's good to have ambition but you have to recognise your limitations. Do the things you're confident with and give yourself some fun rather than frustration!

Congratulations! You tried something far beyond your current capabilities, and you failed. Good for you! You now know more about your own limitations than all the people who never try anything more ambitious than getting up in the morning.

Now, get your ass back in the forge and say, "What can I do today with what I have here to make my skills and my tools one step better than they are now?" Then do that. Repeat as necessary.

In the mean time, hang that crappy sword on your wall as a reminder of how far you have to go. In time, it will become a reminder of how far you've come.

(And by the way, you don't need a sword to saber a bottle of champagne. A decent cooking knife will work, and the ring pictured on this page is something you can probably make a lot sooner than you could make a sword.)

everyone here has offered great advice,and i would like to share my experiences...I started to want to "smith" when i was just a little older than you,when i started i wanted to make armor.i began working with thin sheet and made some decent things using a bench vise and chisels as "stakes".then i caught the bug and decided to build a brake drum forge,so there i was with a 25lb block of mild steel as an anvil, brake drum forge and and a hardware store 3lb cross-pein.took me quite a while to make anything useful,but i kept telling myself i CAN improve my accuracy,i CAN hit harder...Now im 25 years old have forged 8-9 hammers,20 somthing pairs of tongs and about 15-20 hardy tools.this was only possible by learning the basics.

So heres my recommendation:replace the word mediocre with the word beginner,continue making beginner projects and one day you might out-forge everyone here.

P.S. the only smith I've ever met face to face was the smith i bought my anvil from,and he wasnt giving up any secrets so to speak.you can do this.OD

next time slow down, take some time to research and read first, you did not do this, and proved it by using stainless steel for a sword.  Hopefully no one is hurt permanently when you try to use it.  There is nothing left to say that has not been ignored already, only time will tell if you are serious about  blade work or not.

I don't understand why you're upset.  You did everything possible to set up a failure, and then you achieved a failure.  Where's the problem?

Now, if you wanted to successfully make a sword, you would have, or should have, set yourself up for success.  You didn't do that.  More importantly, you knew you weren't doing that.  So where's the problem?

It might sound rough to say it out loud, but there's the facts.  You thought you could just buy any old chunk of steel, and knock out a passable sword using the very limited equipment and knowledge that you have.   And you pretend to be surprised when life doesn't cooperate with your dreams.

Bottom line is that you've got only the most rudimentary tooling and knowledge, but think you're qualified to make the highest level stuff.  That's hubris, in my estimation, and often goes before the fall.

"I'm a mediocre smith. I made a knife last year, it looks like crap but its pretty good..."  Hmmm, why does your knife look like crap?  If I was to infer from this comment, as well as your tale of sword-making woe, I'd say that you don't actually apply yourself to the task at hand.  You freely admit that you're a mediocre smith, but you're already trying to make knives and swords?  The knife you made looks like crap only because you refused to take the building step-by-step and do everything to perfection.  Instead, like the sword, you tried to force things, rush things, and accept excuses for the shoddy workmanship that you knew you were putting into it.

All throughout life you'll find that success only comes from hard work and applying yourself to the task at hand.  You could have started smithing by making a bunch of hooks, scrolls, shelf brackets, and other such stuff.  Each of those little project could be taken to the highest level, straining for a perfect finish, and learning with each one made.  And each one leads you to more and more knowledge, skill and experience.  After the hundredth hook, you probably would have found yourself selling a few here and there to offset your smithing hobby.

Instead, you just right into the deep end of the pool and can't figure out why you're sitting on the bottom struggling for air.

the sword isn't the issue. you clearly misunderstand, and I won't take the time to explain.

here's my knife, by the way. I like its character. shiny knives are for dull peopleWIN_20150904_16_30_57_Pro.thumb.jpg.ca3f

you clearly misunderstand,

No, I didn't misunderstand anything.  You said you were feeling down in the dumps and needed a boost.  I asked you to better explain where the problem was because you seemed to be upset about achieving exactly what you set out to achieve.

When you say things like, "But I'm starting to wonder if its just worth it to sell it off, make back some money, and leave this behind me. extra 200 would help for college." That means you're upset and frustrated and thinking about quitting.  Okay.  Why?

Why are you feeling down in the dumps?  You said, "I know I took on a big project that most smiths don't even attempt. And I know I worked a steel that most smiths wont even touch. And I know I'm still a newbie. and prideful, and ambitious"  Not one bit of that is the recipe for success, yet you're down in the dumps because you didn't achieve a success.  

Therein lies the problem, hoss.  You admit that you're a newbie, and that's okay.  We all were at one point.  Being ambitious certainly isn't a problem because that's what keeps you going, learning new things and bettering yourself.  Being prideful, however, can be a real killer when you allow it to blind you to reality.  

Your original post verily reeks of hubris.  You knew from the first minute that you weren't really qualified or geared up to make a sword, but weren't going to let that stand in your way.  Then, when things don't work out and the sword doesn't materialize... you're upset and depressed.  Am I missing something?

My question to you is simple :  why are you upset and thinking about quitting the trade when you achieved the only logical outcome?  

If you want to be successful, and find pleasure and satisfaction in smithing, you need to recognize your limitations and work within them.  As you grow and learn, your limitations become fewer and you can do some really neat things.  However, if you continue to accept shoddy workmanship, short cuts, over-reaching, etc, you'll continue to be disappointed and depressed with how things turn out.  

Step back and focus on the fundamentals.  Make a hundred nails, trying your darndest to make each hammer blow perfect.  Compare Nail 1 with Nail 100 and see how you've improved.  Then make a hundred leaf key fobs.  Again, focus on the fundamentals and make each strike as perfect as you can.  Then sit back and compare Leaf 1 to Leaf 100.

As you grow and learn, your projects will become larger and more complex.  But remember what the wise man once said, "A man's got to know his limitations."  ;)

Vaughn misunderstands and you fault him for asking for clarification? YOU won't take time to explain?

He hit the nail on the head first go and second. That's okay though if you won't take time to explain why should we? You've called it so be it.

Frosty The Lucky.

I apologize. I think I just fumed all day and didn't actually read what you were saying.

I believe the sword wasn't the problem. perhaps I felt I let someone down by failing. it didn't even need to be perfect, but I've moved along and don't have the introspection to fully understand what was happening. I may just feel gyped by how little I've been able to make of this forge.

its going away for the season though. I'm moving away tomorrow for higher education.

for the record vaughn, what did you think of my knife? I actually do appreciate the depth the pitting adds

Your higher education is just as much a challenge as the blacksmithing projects. You do not start at 400 level courses for a reason. You start at bonehead 100 classes, get the basics for that subject and "pass" the test showing that you can give back the answers requested in and by the test.

Next year you take 200 level classes, the third year 300 level classes and finally in the fourth year you take 400 level classes. It is a knowledge base from which you go on to achieve a Masters or PHD degree. You can not necessarily take that information to the real world as it does not always fit. The employer will further train you to do the job he requires from you. If you doubt my words, ask people about their college and university degrees and then ask what they do for a living.

Blacksmithing is the same. You start out with a simple set up and learn the basics. You improve the set up, and through hours of hammer time, learn more about the metals and how they move under the hammer and what they can do in the finished product. With blacksmithing you DO NOT have to wait until the semester test to see if you passed. You can SEE what each hammer blow does and can change and adjust the next hammer blow to get closer to the finished product.

With any learning experience you will fail. From that failure you learn and improve. It is a part of the learning experience. Life is too short to make ALL the mistakes yourself. You MUST learn from the mistakes others have made and not make them your self. You must also learn from others the correct or better way to do things.  The college or university professor will try to guide you just as another blacksmith will try to guide you. Use their experience to your advantage.

Take a piece of modeling clay to school with you. In your free time, mold it, shape it, and work with it. Anything you can make with modeling clay you can make with metal as metal moves the same way as the modeling clay moves. Carry a blacksmithing book in your back pack. Pull it out and read it when you have down time such as at the bus stop, when you go to the doctors office, professors office, or any other time you are required to wait. Use those odd minutes to YOUR advantage.

Do not let your schooling interfere with your education. Learn all you can in your subject of interest. The subjects can and will change, the learning is the same for any subject.

Edited by Glenn

"Little corrections, little corrections. With the little corrections, we avoid the big corrections." -- Alexander G. Weygers

As for the knife, I'm not Vaughn (and no knifemaker), but here's my critique: a knife is judged on a number of criteria: edge-holding ability, the appropriateness of the form to its intended function, proportion and balance, etc. The only thing we can see here is how it looks, and yeah, it's obviously a first knife by someone whose ambition is greater than their skill. It's kind of clunky, but that's where you are right now. I'll leave more technical critique to people who know knifemaking better than I do. I'll say this, though: it's a lot better than my first few knives!

One other thing: if you really like the pitting, that's fine, but don't insult people who don't. "Shiny knives are for dull people" is unnecessary and isn't going to win you any friends.

Glenn's comment was excellent, and the only thing I can add to it is that if you have any opportunity in college to take a drawing class or an art history class, DO IT. Both will train your eye to look, and the drawing will train your hand to do what your brain wants. Take a photography class while you're at it.

I apologize. I think I just fumed all day and didn't actually read what you were saying.

I believe the sword wasn't the problem. perhaps I felt I let someone down by failing. it didn't even need to be perfect, but I've moved along and don't have the introspection to fully understand what was happening. I may just feel gyped by how little I've been able to make of this forge.

its going away for the season though. I'm moving away tomorrow for higher education.

for the record vaughn, what did you think of my knife? I actually do appreciate the depth the pitting adds

The sword isn't the problem, your attitude is.  The sword is simply a physical manifestation of the problem.  

You acknowledge that you're an entry-level smith, but you insist on trying to make master-level projects.  Then you get upset when you can't achieve success at it.  While it's a bit insulting to sword-makers that you'd think sword-making is so easy that someone with your tooling and experience could make one, the truth is that you let your ego overrule what reality was telling you.  While a master smith could probably use your shop to make a sword, that's only because they're masters at the trade and know things from years of experience.  You, on the other hand, were behind the eight ball from the word go.

Until you recognize your own deficiencies, you can't get better at this trade or any other.  

As for your knife, since you asked, it shows that you are more than willing to accept excuses, take shortcuts and find contentment with sub-standard results.  Even assuming that the blade is made from a quality alloy, there is absolutely zero excuse for the handle.  Note my words posted before you put up the pic. "The knife you made looks like crap only because you refused to take the building step-by-step and do everything to perfection.  Instead, like the sword, you tried to force things, rush things, and accept excuses for the shoddy workmanship that you knew you were putting into it."  

Of the 10,000 knives you've seen pictures of, knives made by craftsman that take pride in their work and follow through from one step to the next, not one demonstrates lines like you've put on your handle.  You knew this, yet you continued on, assembling and glueing up the handle so you could claim a finished knife.  Why?

Why did you quit halfway through making the handle?  Why did you continue when you saw that huge chink in the lines of the middle section?  Why didn't you simply replace the handle wood with some new stock and start over?  Why the rush?

You had to know that the end product wasn't going to be as good as it could be.  You had to know that all it would take was another tree limb and a few minutes with a rasp to come up with a new handle that had better lines.  But you kept on with what you had.  Why?  What excuses did you accept to justify the results?  Wore your rasp out?  Ran out of sandpaper?  Broke your last file fending off a badger?

You see, something stopped you from throwing that handle away and starting over.  That something is the real problem you need to address.  You're 19 years old, have access to files, rasps and sand paper.... yet you rushed through the project and happily justified the results. 

Steelfinger, we WANT you to succeed and we want to be a part of your success. But the effort that will bring you success is entirely yours. We paid our dues and continue to pay them daily. You must pay your dues on YOUR anvil, and read books, and attend meetings and classes, and gather all the information available in your area of interest.

There was a signature line on the site that said: If anyone questions your standards, they are not high enough.  

Everything you make should reflect your best efforts. You are your own worse critic so use it to your advantage. If anyone questions your standards, then raise your standards by learning how to improve and make things better.

Hello

I guess I am very, very dull by your standards Steelfinger..so I will spare you any of my dull comments on your work..I will say this...you have pretty much alienated folks on this site..some of which have been doing this for more than twice the amount of time that you have walked on this planet..shame that..

Pity..pity...

JPH