I Forge Iron

New to the forum, new shop question

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the space I'll have available guys. The gaps to the right and lower right of the drawing are sliding doors. The ventilation fan will be installed on the left side gable wall. Given this, are there any suggestions as to forge, anvil, misc items placement? 

Initial Design - Floor Plan.jpg

Putting both bay doors in the same corner is going to stop cross ventilation. I like them across from each other like a drive through. That's me though.

Frosty The Lucky.

The ventilation fan will be on the east wall at the ceiling peak. I was thinking it would pull air from the north and west sides across the room and out the east wall. Given this arrangement, would you still move one of the doors? 

Right or left handed?  Is the shop going to do double duty, as a repair shop for equipment, vehicles, parking?  Benches.

Set down, envision what you are going to have and make pretend you are working in the shop, what feels natural to you? Suggestions to me are limited value, time and experience will show you where everything  should be or in some cases where it would have worked better for you.  

Prevaling winds, and the fact that heat rizes can certanmy be used to your advantages. Gable bents are good, but coupilas are even beter, and beter looking than the eggbeater ventilators. Hear in Oklahoma that means north and south for summer breeze, and east for shelterd from the weather (being notherly in the winter and westerly and southwesterly in the spring and summer. Tho this year has been waked. 

The ventilation fan will be on the east wall at the ceiling peak. I was thinking it would pull air from the north and west sides across the room and out the east wall. Given this arrangement, would you still move one of the doors? 

Absolutely. Fan will not come close to what nature will do for free. 

It would be real good if you could figure out the prevailing wind too. Here it is southwest in the summer. 

Edited by arftist

If you are installing a fan, do a bit of research on positive pressure ventilation.

My fan does not extract, it blows clean air into the forge.

I read somewhere that the fire brigades use positive pressure ventilation to clear smoke from a building.

The reasoning is straightforward. With positive pressure, every cubic metre that passes through the fan is clean air into the building. If you use an extraction / negative pressure to suck out the smoke, either smoke hangs in areas out of the draft line between fresh air inlets and the fan, or after the initial extraction of almost solid smoke, more and more of the air that passes through the fan is clean air mixed with smoke….so it takes much longer.

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

You mentioned insulation above a finished ceiling. I would leave the trusses exposed, and not put in a finished ceiling.  That gives you that much more room for fumes to travel up and away from you. The openings also allow for some stock storage across the trusses. Plus there are times when you need to tip something, and the ceiling just gets in the way. I would look at insulation under the sheathing on the roof. There are some good foam type insulators out now.

As to the doors, I agree with the others. Opposite walls allowing you to pass from one side to another is very handy. Like when you bring home the power hammer, and you can drive the truck and trailer in and out after unloading with the overhead hoist. B)

You mentioned insulation above a finished ceiling. I would leave the trusses exposed, and not put in a finished ceiling.  That gives you that much more room for fumes to travel up and away from you. The openings also allow for some stock storage across the trusses. Plus there are times when you need to tip something, and the ceiling just gets in the way. I would look at insulation under the sheathing on the roof. There are some good foam type insulators out now.

As to the doors, I agree with the others. Opposite walls allowing you to pass from one side to another is very handy. Like when you bring home the power hammer, and you can drive the truck and trailer in and out after unloading with the overhead hoist. B)

It depends on how sensitive you are to polluted air, and what you are doing in your shop. It ain't easy being wheezy.

A week in the coal smoke filled shop at John C. Campbell put me in a two week tailspin. After the first day, I had to drive my car back and forth to the dining hall to avoid asthma attacks. I won't go back without a  PAPR.  I work in a welding shop environment with 20 - 40 students welding, grinding and plasma cutting all at once, and it has never been that bad. 

It was not the fault of any design of the shop, but low air pressure system combined with noobs dumping a half bag of green coal at a time on the forge. I managed to work all week with one 50lb bag of coal, some folks used 10. A honkin' big eave fan would have been a blessing, but I was the only one affected.

It depends on how sensitive you are to polluted air, and what you are doing in your shop. It ain't easy being wheezy.

A week in the coal smoke filled shop at John C. Campbell put me in a two week tailspin. After the first day, I had to drive my car back and forth to the dining hall to avoid asthma attacks. I won't go back without a  PAPR.  I work in a welding shop environment with 20 - 40 students welding, grinding and plasma cutting all at once, and it has never been that bad. 

It was not the fault of any design of the shop, but low air pressure system combined with noobs dumping a half bag of green coal at a time on the forge. I managed to work all week with one 50lb bag of coal, some folks used 10. A honkin' big eave fan would have been a blessing, but I was the only one affected.

Any reason not to add more rolling barn doors?  Even if you generally keep a couple securely locked down most of the time they can be really helpful at times.  As BGD alludes to  it's raelly nice to be able to load up the forge and tools for a trip and then back the truck all the way into the shop and close and lock the doors till morning---or getting home late pulling in and locking up and unloading the next day.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing that a rolling door should stay under your drip line.  I can see where you might not be able to drive through it but I don't see where you can't open it for a lot more ventilation than "windows"  One of my 10' x 10' roll up doors has about 8' from it to the neighbor's fence  but it still works well to push air through the shop.

Around here, I have always tried to avoid putting the main entrance facing north. Always in the shade and those northeasters in the winter.....oh man....West is next to as bad as north for me. Any reason why you don't want the west door all the way to the south wall. that would get you close to cross ventilation.  Also, walk in doors are pretty cheep. Hey, it's your shop and your money. Oh and one more thought. It won't cost any more to think about a lean-to in the future. Leave those rafter ends with access to tie onto....Just my thoughts. You did ask right?    Dave  

One small thing I notice is that when your north wall door is open, it blocks the window as far as natural light. If the point of that window is light , it might be better located on another wall.

Also to me, the door in the north wall is really close to the east wall. That would limit full use of that door, say to back a vehicle in to the shop, if you want to put anything like benches on that wall, or even do a stock rack. My garage door is 3' off the side wall, so I have some room between the 2 foot work bench and  anything I need to bring in thru the door. Same goes at the shop, except the space is smaller because I don't need as much room for the stock rack on the one wall.

I see your guy's point as to adding more doors for ventilation. I could add a south side door however driving through the building isn't possible due to the tree line and grade. I was thinking about incorporating a window in the north side sliding door which would line up with the north side wall window when the door was fully open. This way I could still get the benefit of light and ventilation through that opening. Also, I may move the north side door over a little (which will mean I'll have to make it smaller) to allow a space to the left of the door for a work bench. Decisions, decisions... 

Edited by Light Hammer