I Forge Iron

what is the dumbest/weirdest piece of metal working equipment you ever acquired

I can't think of anything that doesn't find use sooner or later.  Biggest thing in making something likely to be used or repaired is keeping it in an easily accessable spot -- if it's buried under too much junk, you're that much more likely to dismiss it during those times it would be handy.  What I regret most is anything I've sold or otherwise discarded, thinking it was junk, or that it'd be simple to get another if I decided I needed it later.  I lost not one, but two metal lathes that way.  I kick myself every time they would have been handy.

"Oh yes, this is cool, and cheap. I am sure I can repair it."

Anything that I have said that about turned out to be a bad idea. If the only people bidding against you are scrap metal dealers it is time to stop.

I had a 1500 lb block of steel I got free from the scrap yard......was going to make it an anvil but found I didn't have the equipment nor could find anyone that did. I used it to straighten some stuff and a place to pile stuff on......years later, I was happy someone took it away.....

Students!

Actually the weirdest was probably the cone mandrel that was previously a nose cone for a ballistic missile; followed perhaps by the wrap around leather miniskirt than made a dandy smithing apron...Pharmaceutical punches made from S1, a large mooring cleat found in a scrapyard hundreds of miles from any source of water big enough to float a boat requiring it....

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All,

I would have to say my STS..  A multi use bending and forming station I built years ago...  Many who enter my shop take pictures and copy my design..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

That's cool Jim!! Consider it copied/at least inspiring again! :D I am working on something similar to mount in my Wilton pedestal mounted machinist vise. Mine is horizontally operated but I like the way you have used the rr rail and have dies mounted vertically. I just happen to have recently acquired another length of rail that was earmarked for power hammer dies but they can wait now B)

I think the dumbest thing I ever bought for the smithy was this big steel ball. I thought it may have been a good former or something but I have never used it. The hammer bounces off it quite nicely though. I saw it at a garage sale and the guy said I could have it for free if I could lift it over my head. No way - so I had to pay him $2 for it. It measures 9 inches in diameter, so I reckon at about 1/4 pound per cubic inch that's about 100 pounds.
It was probably a dumb thing to buy, but for two bucks who could leave it there??
post-50874-0-49854800-1403872518_thumb.j