I Forge Iron

I made up some fliers for the IFI group photo.  I will put a couple where you check it, and try to post some at the spot we will meet.  Remember Friday noon at the main crossroads.

I spent today loading my truck.  I want to have time tomorrow to hit an antique tractor show in the am, then finish loading in the pm.  Leaving early Sunday for a couple of days visiting a fellow IFI'er in Michigan.  Then back down to Troy on Tuesday.  This will be my third QS.  Last year I got sick, so I did not enjoy it much.  I am hoping for a better event this time.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the rules on selling or trading Items at the meet. I am a semi new smith and need to offset some stuff I've made to afford some nicer tongs and a new rounding hammer. Any info would be appreciated. This will be my first Quadstate meet and im pretty excited about going this weekend.

I'll be arriving Friday morning and be there thru Friday suppertime. I have to go to work early Saturday morning and do my Volunteer gig on Sunday.

If you hear bluegrass music coming from a guy with a trade blanket out and lots of goodies on the trade blanket, that will be me. Stop by introduce yourself and say 'Hi'.

Ohio Rusty  ><>

The Ohio Frontier Forge 

I missed the group photo by a couple of minutes ..... I really enjoyed talking with all the different folks that stopped by my canopy and trade blanket. I really enjoy talking to folks from other parts of the continent.  I did sell some stuff and bought a few things. I'm even.

The wife enjoyed being there even though she wasn't very mobile having recent foot surgeries on both feet.

You couldn't have asked for a nicer sunny Friday to be at Quad State. .... Today ,..... back at work.

Ohio Rusty

BTW .... It was great to meet a lot of the other IForgeIron members there and spend some minutes talking with you all. I also enjoyed finding some other folks not far from me that are also doing blacksmithing stuff. QuadState is one of the most valuable resources we have for tools, equipment and meeting others with like interests.

There will be a lot of up and coming blacksmiths this year and maybe the list will grow bigger with new people.

Someone told me that between Thursday and Friday, more than 100 anvils were sold. I hope any new folks that bought one got some other good equipment so they too can start forging and enjoying poundin' iron !!

Ohio Rusty ><>

The Ohio Frontier Forge

First time for me too. Great People, Great time. Bought coal off of Steve (Matchless) and used it today works alot better then coke from the side of the rail road tracks. Next year I'm camping for the weekend to much fun to miss.                                    

We do not condone criminal activity here,  It is a federal offence to steal from the RR tracks.  you have been warned.

I just got home from sofa, had a great time! 

I got a drill press, a forge blower, and a neat little bench grinder, all of which are hand crank powered.

The demonstrators were great, and I learned a lot. Everyone was so friendly and creative.

here's my copy of the group photo

post-56789-0-71322900-1411871687_thumb.j

my brother Angus is the boy in the blue shirt and I'm behind him.

Before we left we heard that this year had record attendence, only 15 short of 1,000! And still tomorrow to go.

I've only recently gotten into blacksmithing. So naturally this is the first year I've been to SOFA. Wife and I went with the group that we hooked up with. We had a great time. I was able to meet a lot of good people and learn a little from each, I hope. I picked up quit a few items I was needing and sold a few that I was able to take along. We're both looking forward to next year.

I am still in awe of the honesty of the people that attend this show. Most left their merchandise lay out over night and nothing came up missing to my knowledge. That shows the caliber of people attending.  Harold

Got home yesterday after an easy 600 mile/9 hour drive East.  In the group photo above, I am the one in the orange shirt.  Thanks to all of the members that showed up for the photo.  I posted notices at the location and left flyers by the registration table.  Sorry to those that missed the photo.  But I am one of those "on time people".  I posted the photo for 12 noon, and that is when the photo was taken.

Thanks to all that bought some of the FISHER shirts and mini anvils.  I have more.  If anyone is interested, PM me.

Today is unloading the iron and photographing it.  I will post the new additions to the museum soon.

Yes, QS is known for a great group of people.  This was my third year there and  my most fun year.  Getting to know fellow IFI members, and others is what makes for an enjoyable time.  And a great place to find that unique item.

I'm the guy in the middle left wearing a black Iforgeiron t-shirt.

Today someone asked me what the high point of the weekend was. After some thought I decided it came unexpectedly during the opening ceremonies. The lead singer told the dramatic story of the writing of our national anthem and then he led all several hundred of us singing it. (I'm not quite sure how many were at the opening ceremonies on Friday evening.)

I enjoyed the classes, competed in the smithing competition, got a cone hardy tool, a pair of gloves and a couple books. I think I was fairly restrained in my purchases. Maybe next year I'll purchase an anvil and move up from a railroad track anvil.

This was my third Quad State and first for camping. It was a really good time. I wanted to make it in by picture time but couldnt. It was good to meet some of the people that post to this forum. Thanks to Glen for the tshirts and WayneCoe for selling them. The demos I saw were very good. I hope that next year I can make it in before Friday. See you all again next year.

Just got back from Q-S about 2 hours ago; long drive to NM.  Great Weather, Great people!  I'm the one not ashamed of my kneecaps...lederhosen and an aloha shirt in honour of Paw Paw Wilson.  The old keenjunk crowd also did the farewell toast for Rich Saturday night.

Wife was amazed that I added 4 bags of coal and a 5" robustus postvise to the pack and we could still see out the back window of the minivan---she did say it was a tad more Juggernaut to drive/stop though...