I Forge Iron

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings All,

After many many years of attending SOFA I will share one of my 2014 experiences...

As I normally do I went for my morning walk of the grounds and tailgate sales.. I passed the Cergol Forging Tool display and was lured into his clutches.  After much sales pressure and tactics plus being unable to avoid the hooks , tripwires, and traps I finally gave in and purchased a hammer..  I rallied my meager funds left over from my S.S check, my wives egg fund and a few coins that I earmarked for the church collection plate..  I consider my self lucky that I was able to avoid including the rights to my first born and the purchase of the dreaded EXTENDED WARRENTY POLICY. 

(    THE REAL TRUTH  )

I left my campsite and saw A.J. just starting to set up his display..  I rushed over for a long discussion on his pricing ... Way too cheap..   Long story short I feel honored that I was able to purchase The FIRST of his fine hammers sold at SOFA 2014 and to boot got his autograph.

He is and exceptional blacksmith with a great future and his hammers are over the top...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I found just the swage block I had been looking for, finally found one after a couple of years of searching for this exact size.
18"x18"x4.25", quite hefty and in beautiful shape. I was happy to find it and get it loaded into my truck.

Of course a little while later, my friends Mr. Cergol and Mr. Cokewell were "helping me resell" that beautiful swage block out of the back of my truck when I was away shopping for other things.....

Yup, those are good friends helping like this: post-25745-0-75166000-1412255812_thumb.j

That's why most of my hollow anvils and swage block have sold written with a paint pen as my friends liked to price them at $15 and I did not want to return to the table to find the $ and no anvil.

I had a lot of fun, weather was great. Learned a lot this year. Picked up a few items, a small Swage block for spoons, 2 8 lbs sludge hammers I have already converted one into a forward weight hammer it's about 5 lbs after cutting it. But the purchase of the weekend was the feed advance for my Buffalo Forge #152 Post Drill.  :D 

post-40075-0-14779200-1412345100_thumb.j

post-40075-0-62319300-1412345106_thumb.j