I Forge Iron

Are bandsaw chips useful in blacksmithing or the garage?

The roses or peaches will love iron within reason. Adding it to a billet shouldn't be a problem but I don't know if it'll be worth it.

I suppose you could make ferric or ferrous chloride with it but I'm NOT going to say how. It can be very dangerous handling acids and we have too many kids here with more to say than knowledge or sense. It's not that hard but it's a process you need to understand and know how to control it. Look it up or ask a chemist. I asked a chemist.

Frosty The Lucky.

not for the first time caster, but you might be able to create some interesting patterned materials if you were to incorporate them (DRY, DEVOID OF WATER) into a batch of molten copper/silver/brass/(insert other non-ferrous metal here) shortly before pouring into an ingot mold.  forge it out a bit and grind/file to reveal a hopefully speckled interior.

The roses or peaches will love iron within reason. Adding it to a billet shouldn't be a problem but I don't know if it'll be worth it.

I suppose you could make ferric or ferrous chloride with it but I'm NOT going to say how. It can be very dangerous handling acids and we have too many kids here with more to say than knowledge or sense. It's not that hard but it's a process you need to understand and know how to control it. Look it up or ask a chemist. I asked a chemist.

Frosty The Lucky.

You can make something even more dangerous than that too. 

If you are thinking of using 4140as an additive to welding flux. You are adding chromium and other alloying elements, such as manganese and molybdenum, to your weld. If you are having troubles forge welding adding alloys to the mix will only make it harder to weld. Powdered iron or at least simple steels would be better then an alloy, if you are experimenting with flux's.

Grit on an icy driveway is always nice, and you can never have too much of it.  I mix my salt with sawdust, scale and just about anything else I can get.  The sawdust is great because it floats to the top of the melted ice and stays there when the ice refreezes - meaning you always have some traction.

I'd be really curious to see how it came out as a can-welded billet.  Add some powdered metal to fill all the voids, a quirt of oil, and go to it.  Maybe add larger chunks of cut-offs to make "fossil" damascus.

I have added steel powder to borax when forge welding, fairly fine steel from the shop floor, picked up with a magnet, not swept up to avoid abrasivewhell dust,  I mixed it with the borax just before spooning it onto the weld, wasn't sure how it would do if stored in the borax container, wich is not perfectly free of moisture , this was mild steel only though, and I understand pure iron would be better, I think it helped in sticking a tricky weld, but have only tried it a bit so I wouldn't call it definitive proof.

Woodsmith

It'd be interesting to try. End result though is, it seems to me at least, good contact and good heat are more important then what flux is used. I play around with flux formulations a bit. None of them seem to be a magic flux. Flux, no flux, whatever works for you is what works. But back to the subject. I have not tried 4140 shavings. I have tried successfully, no flux, sand, borax, anhydrous borax with iron, borax with iron powder and/or boric acid, iron oxide with borax, with/or without boric acid. I also have some ammonium chloride for trying in mixes. All of the above in different proportions. Including bought flux such as iron mountain. The most important thing is do the weld right and you will get the weld, not what flux was or was not used. (Note the above is speaking for myself others can speak for themselves. experience vary.)

What about a use for the bandsaw itself? I bent a 25mm bandsaw blade after only a couple of uses (through carelessness). About 12 feet of high quality blade wasted. Didn't have the heart to throw it out after paying good money for it so it's still hanging up in the shed. Does such a thing have any possible use in the forge???

It seems to be a prime candidate for making pattern welded knife billets, often paired with pallet strapping. Depending on the blade composition it could be used for that. Or at 25mm wide you might be able to make some thin kitchen knives straight out of the blade itself.

Find a nice bowsaw frame like a sandvik and make a mega hacksaw with the BSB.  Remember to punch the holes a bit closer than the ones on a wood cutting saw blade so there is a bit more tension.  This is assuming that this is a metal cutting BSB of course.  If it's a wood one do the same and have a wood saw...

Then when it's dull make BSB and pallet strapping pattern welded billets

BSBs generally  have a pretty high nickle content so they don't work harden running over the rolls so they make for nice contrast when etched in pattern welds. I hear them called L6 but with all the competition making the things I believe they're L6 equivelants rather than specifically L6.

Regardless of what exactly they're made of they weld pretty easily with basic technique, are hardenable, tough and have pretty high contrast when etched. Of course most fab shops just toss the dull and broken ones they're usually free for the asking if you're nice about it. I know I have more 1" wide metal BSBs than I'll use in forever and had to say enough.

Big hacksaw frame is a super use and just the thing for a blacksmith to make.

Frosty The Lucky.

if you snap the blade into 14"ish lengths and bundle them together, (like wiring up for making a billet) it makes a very aggressive rasp, even if the teeth aren't sharp it will shape wood,roughly but rapidly,  Ive also used it to  rasp down alluminum castings, the deep gullets of the teeth do not load up like a fine file or sand paper,  you can  tape the ends together  good then wrap with cloth and then more tape to make a comfortable handle at each end. sounds crude but works very well, not as great as a $40 body file but its basically free

I keep thinking Stains - I have been collecting oak galls - I want to try to make Iron gall stain.  You also have me wondering how the oxidized chips, or the rust from them could be combined with navel jelly (Phosphoric Acid) to make a textured conversion coating (faux patina).

Disclaimer:  I have yet to test any of my book based musings.

Were they mine, they would at the least go up on the shelf in a labelled container.

I keep thinking Stains - I have been collecting oak galls - I want to try to make Iron gall stain.  You also have me wondering how the oxidized chips, or the rust from them could be combined with navel jelly (Phosphoric Acid) to make a textured conversion coating (faux patina).

Disclaimer:  I have yet to test any of my book based musings.

Were they mine, they would at the least go up on the shelf in a labelled container.

Oooooh, now that's something to try. Phosphoric acid will convert rust back to iron/steel and if you wash and neutralize after cleaning it won't make the black phosphate oxide (whatever the proper term is) black patina. (Parkerize?) Another thing it tends to do is chemically weld rusty parts together and is the reason you must take things apart if you're going to use it  more than just a quick brush.

Deliberately using it to weld is a neat idea, a real head slapper in fact.

Frosty The Lucky.