I Forge Iron

Not making hammers, should i be ashamed?

Im fairly new to blacksmithing and just starting to understand some basics.
I have fairly clear goals on what i want to make and what i wish to learn.

Making hammers, axes and other heavy tools is not one of them.

Tongs etc on the other hand is on the list.

Is this ok? Or is it like every serious blacksmith sooner or later needs to make his own hammer?

yes :)

But seriously while it is nice to show off your own tools you made, there is nothing wrong with buying them.  Enoy your journey of becomning a smith, and the rest will fall into place in time.  I have hammers I have made, but my favorite is one I got from a smith I respect from the forum here, Rthibeau.  He makes wonderful hammers.   I dont think I could do better than the 4.6# diag pein he made for me. But I still make some occasionally.

Welcome to the brotherhood and to the forum

Nothing wrong with that at all.  There are lots of very talented smiths who do no heavy toolsmithing at all.  I do lots of heavy tool manufacturing and  really admire the artistic talents of lots of smiths who don't make heavy tools.  You will likely end up making specialized tools for what ever work you do.  Even if you do need a specialized heavy tool you can trade or buy from other smiths or modify existing tools.

I am in my 40th year of mangling steel, and have never made my own hammer.   I have made lots of tooling.  But I have no interest in making my own hammer, especially when I look at my tool rack and have my pick of over 50 hammers.  I have bought hammers made by other smiths and love what they can do.  Pick your projects and go with what you like and can do.

A huge number of full time smiths do not make hammers. I have worked for a number of smiths that make just wonderful interior railing that range from 20,000 to 200'000 $. Fully forged and shaped every part of the rail. And most of them do not make any tongs ether. They will often buy any tool they need.

They are no less of a artisan than some one who only makes tooling for resale. And never makes anything that is purely sculpture.

You can make what ever you want while forging. I greatly look up to Michael Dillon, he has built many fabulous French railing and is heading full force into grand sculpture work. I don't know if he would be classified as a blacksmith, or a sculpter but he is definitely a top knotch Artisan. I dought he has ever made a hammer and it could not matter less

You are doomed! The gods of the forge are going to smite you down for such blasphemy....  :P

Just kidding. What you do today may not be what you find interests you in 2 years, or even 20 years from now. It's nice to know and understand the basics because there may be a time when you want or need something specific and it's not readily available. Skills like these may be a help then, but the world won't end simply because you are forging with a hammer you didn't make for yourself.

I did take advantage this past summer to make a flatter and set hammer while in class. I didn't have one, and while there I had all the equipment, tooling and the instructors help, so I took advantage of the opportunity as a chance to learn something that I wouldn't normally be able to work on by myself. I can't see making many hammers myself however. It's just not the direction I'm interested in going at this point. If I need to, though I do know how, and the information I learned will help me do other projects in the future.

You ever met any mechanics ashamed that they never built their own cars?

Sure there are bragging rights involved; but I can do a pattern welded billt in about the same time I can forge a set of tongs.  The billet can produce a knife that nets a couple hundred; my most expensive set of tongs is a titanium set I picked up at Quad-State for US$10.  I'd suggest you concentrate on the areas of smithing that you are interested in and not worry about the others.

My Great grandfather could repoint and set a plow for the hill farms of Arkansas, I can't.  I can forge a pattern welded blade and heat treat it for various uses.  He couldn't.  Which is the *real* blacksmith?

I would say that you're on the right track.  While it's imperative that anyone calling themselves a smith should have the knowledge and ability to make their own tools, including hammers, that doesn't mean that they need to or should make them.

Tongs are one of those things where you just can't have too many of them, and it's often cheaper and easier to make a pair rather than buy them online and then wait for the mailman to bring them to you.  

As a beginner, though, I think your time is far better spent working on smaller things that teach you the basic motions of the craft.  After a year or ten, you might decide to make yourself a hammer or hatchet just because it presents a challenge.  

You can learn just as well with found tools as with tools you make. The process is what you are looking for in regard learning. The product is just an added bonus. I have hammers that I made and hammers I bought , they all work well. I like them all. Making hammers is heavy forging and you should be trained in the process. Think steel selection, mass estimation so you get the desired weight, design, controlled punching also making the punch the drift and the fullers. The whole subset of tooling that supports the production process is part of the learning curve. If you sat down and decided to do the whole hammer process you would make a slew of tooling. Check out all the tools Brian Produces for his hammer classes. When we estimate commission jobs, we have a shop time allotment for tool and jig production.

I took a tooling course when I started out and it proved invaluable. Understanding practical Metallurgy and heat treating is something you will always rely on. Like a carpenter knows his wood the blacksmith knows the steel.

Good luck to you in your journey.

Peter.

nice mellow answers from the guys here :) i completely agree with all of you - sletteng just make what really interests you, thats the work that you will be best at anyway - it would be dreadful if we all made the same things in the same way...

When in school, I had to take classes I wasn't interested in, and ultimately, I didn't enjoy them.  Do what you are interested in and maybe those interests will change over time.  Make what you are excited about and your journey will be good for you.  You are not in a rigid schedule of classes that you must follow.  You make up your own schedule based on many factors that effect your life.  Good luck.    

My first flatter was a small sledge hammer that I purchased at a yard sale for $2.

I welded a piece of thick square plate on one end, heat treated it and re-handled it.

Still use it, still love it!

I have some hammers that I don't love (including one terrible diagonal pien I thought I badly needed at the time) I would be disappointment with myself if I had made them, both from a waste of time and effort and the poor design. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing!

When you start to learn the craft of blacksmithing, you don’t automatically sign in to be under someone else’s scrutiny.

What you do by yourself, or call yourself is only your business.

Only when you ask for an opinion or put your opinion out there; then you open the door to someone else’s analysis and their judgment.

There are so many types of blacksmiths be it a hobby smith or a professional blacksmith, that specialize in so many different aspects of what we call blacksmithing; what you SHOULD make or how you do it can only be an opinion from their prospective.

Yet, another qualified blacksmith may tell you something just the opposite and quite different.

Everyone is on a different level of climbing the mountain of blacksmithing skills.

I have been blacksmithing for a little over 60 years, and there are many things that I have never forged that many others forge on regular bases.

I had no desire or need to.

The reason is because I had no interest in forging something, or when I made a living as a blacksmith I was not asked to make it.  

But, in the same light, I have forged things that other blacksmiths never wanted to forge or that they ever had a need to forge.

Basically; what you do is no one’s business unless you allow it to become their business.

So if you think it is important to make a hammer, then make one.

If not; be happy that there are fine blacksmiths like Richard (richardthibeau@dancingfrogforge.com) who makes them.

Maybe you will make something that he would consider buying also.

As you become more skilled at forging, most likely”forging a hammer will be on your list to make”.  

I would agree I have been at it for 25 years you need to learn to walk before you can run. I have had the opportunity to take a newbie and put them right into hammer making. She did very well. You can excel at what your learn given the chance. But take the time and learn the basics. it will serve you better in the long run

Greetings Slet,

I have been at it for 40 years and have more than my share of hammers  .... 150 plus...  ..  Many specialty.  many modified,   I have yet to make one but I respect those that do..   As your skills develop and you feel the need for something you just can't live without .... Have at it ... I have yet to develop one with its own starter cord or better yet cordless .... LOL   I wish you well...

forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

You certainly dont have to be ashamed of anything but one of the most practical ways to learn blacksmithing is to make many of you own tools. In doing so, one learns the skills of smithing needed to make any thing else, as well as aquireing the very tools one needs to practice the art. It is one school of thought, and the one I personaly subscribe to.

I hardly made all my tools. Whenever I could buy good tools very cheap I did,
but when I need a tool I often make it myself, sometimes much better and cheaper than what I could buy,
plus I have the skills as a result.

I agree with DSW. Your interests may change over time. Mine have. Everyone is different. Pursue what you are interested in.

I started blacksmithing to make knives. I last made a knife about a year ago because I've moved on. I have a tendency to make one or two of something. I decided I'm happy with it and then move to something else.

Happy New Year,

I hate to be a Party Pooper, but I teach all my students how to make a Hammer and to Heat Treat it properly. We make it a class effort with everyone taking turns with the striking hammer, men & women.

When they see how much effort goes into making a hammer, they gain a lot of respect for it's humble nature. They are proud of their creations!!!

Sletteng; Get some friends together and make yourself simple hammers. Find an axle from a big truck, that is broken, and make hammers together. Many hands, make light work!!

Neil

I respect any one who can make a hammer, and more so one who can fit a handle that won't come loose. I have made a rough cross pein hammer, but it's ordinary to say the least.

The best hammer I have is a 2lb cross pein picked up at a local op shop for $2. It's the best thing I have found for forging leaves. Has just the right amount of curve. Better than the nice pretty blue cross pein I bought on eBay for $70, which sits in the tool box unused.

I don't feel the wrath of Thor for not making hammers. I'm happy to benefit from the skills of those who know how to do it right.