I Forge Iron

Essential non-essentials

Joel OF

Just curious whether anyone's got any workshop "must haves" that aren't essential for a workshop? E.g a punch bag? A newspaper? A lucky mascot?

When I finally get a water tight shop with electricity a radio will be one of the first things in there, I always have BBC radio 4 on in the background.

My wife has a bunch of stuff stored in a corner of my shop, doe's that count? Truth is I have a lot of stuff around not directly smithing related but it's there to stay, mostly anyhow. No good luck charms but I'm pretty careful NOT to tempt the fates with silly challenges say commenting on what I THINK tomorrow's weather will be. That one can REALLY backfire on you!

I keep a comfy stool handy, especially when teaching. I demo a procedure and take up position on my stool and kibitz as the "student" takes a lash at it. So, comfy stool is one, does a coffee pot count?

Frosty The Lucky.

A work table would be my first choice. A 55 gallon drum will work. Then 2 each 32 ounce glasses of iced tea within arms reach. 

A roof is nice  Side walls from whatever you can scrounge, cardboard, tarps, plastic, etc. Anything to stop the wind when it turns cold. 

A stool - good one! Thankfully i have an old drumming stool that's sacrificial & it's headed for my "workshack". I've always suffered with a bad back so somewhere to take the weight off for a few minutes will probably help my patience/frustration levels too. For me it sounds like more of an essential than a non-essential.

In my current small shop I have a radio (set to shortwave, some wonderfully wierd shows come around that are fun to listen to) and a small air conditioner.  A mini fridge would be nice, and I will have to forego the AC in the big shop, but I won't really miss it, I hardly use it.  I would love to put a water line inside the new shop, but the new regulations in Florida/my county would make it economically unfeasable.

Nothing stops me from running a line to the outside of the shop at a convenient spot, so at least I won't have to go far for water. Another 6 inches, to the inside of the wall and they get crazy with it.  The regulations and permit requirements are also why I am building a new shop rather than just overhauling and adding on to the old one.  It would have cost twice as much, and given me a less open space.

One thing that is really a non-essential I am putting into the new shop is dutch doors for the walk-throughs.  It will be nice to open them up as wanted and still keep the dogs out from underfoot.

Cigarettes, Chair of some kind(using an old drafting stool right now, just the right height for my workbench), RC Cola and either a radio or my android tablet with BUZZ Player installed so I can stream my entire music collection from my main PC in the house. Also like to keep a sketchbook in the bench for something to do while taking breaks.

• 8 months later...

My dog.  Mason likes to hang out with me while I'm banging metal.  Its funny to watch him when the "fireflies" start to fall on him.  He'll get up, snort, then move to a safer area.  Seeing that I've only had 3 forging sessions so far on my makeshift rig, a shop would be nice...along with a cooler.

Hurrah, I'm getting electricity soon! No more of that *insert a chain of swear words* 50 meter electricity extension cable that I swear is designed to tangle, especially when it's raining.

A CD/mp3 player will be top of my list of non-essentials. Can't wait to be able to use my welder in the workshop too, at the minute I have to go back over to the house and plug in.

• 6 months later...