I Forge Iron

Trenton List

pkrankow

Picked up my first Trenton today and my first Columbian about the same size the day before. I just received my copy of AIA last week and all of a sudden anvils popping up all over the place. Along with the Trenton for sale was a 150lb PW and 235 Fisher all in good condition.

025.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

029.JPG

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are both in great condition, better than 80% rebound each, sing as loud as larger anvils. Anvils do not last long for sale around here, and never see quality anvils for sale two days in a row. I got the look from the boss, but she knows it's for a good cause...

• 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:33 AM, Pac said:

Picked up my first Trenton today and my first Columbian about the same size the day before. I just received my copy of AIA last week and all of a sudden anvils popping up all over the place. Along with the Trenton for sale was a 150lb PW and 235 Fisher all in good condition.

027.JPG

029.JPG

Ok I see lots of anvils including the one I just bought with many off these round dents in the side. what are they from and why would someone bang them in?

1 minute ago, Daninghram said:

Ok I see lots of anvils including the one I just bought with many off these round dents in the side. what are they from and why would someone bang them in?

Could be from testing the temper on a newly hardened punch. Same reason some anvils are covered in chisel marks.

• 2 months later...

I recently had a call from my dad who told me he found my grandfathers old farm anvil and I should come get it.  I was extremely surprised when I finally picked it up, that my dads been hiding on old Trenton anvil!  Now, not only do I have my first "real" anvil, but it's a family anvil and a Trenton on top of that.  There is a little bit of edge damage and apparently someone decided to cut something on the face and it caused a bit of damage.  Nothing I can't work around though.  Judging from the markings it's 142 lbs and the serial # is 129260, if anyone with the AIA book could give me the age on it I would appreciate it greatly.

Anvil.jpg

Anvil_CU.jpg

Anvil_damage.jpg

Anvil_Serial.jpg

Anvil_weight.jpg

That must feel special good putting a family heirloom back to work where she belongs.  Finding a torch cut sucks but it doesn't look too bad. No serious damage I can see do a hammer rebound test to look for places in the face that have delaminated. Don't worry about the rebound so much as listen and watch for dead places.

Might want to make your Dad something on it. Oh WAIT, what am I thinking! Make something for the boss, keeping your Mom happy will make all the difference if your Dad finds something else. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

28 minutes ago, Frosty said:

That must feel special good putting a family heirloom back to work where she belongs.  Finding a torch cut sucks but it doesn't look too bad. No serious damage I can see do a hammer rebound test to look for places in the face that have delaminated. Don't worry about the rebound so much as listen and watch for dead places.

Might want to make your Dad something on it. Oh WAIT, what am I thinking! Make something for the boss, keeping your Mom happy will make all the difference if your Dad finds something else. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty!  I haven't had a chance test it yet, but I'll be doing that soon.  I definitely plan on making something for my parents!

Two Trentons in the shop. Both of the serial numbers were utalized as a forging surface. Is that odd or normal? Folks seem to be able to read their serial number just fine.

The weight stamp is also illedgabl although one anvil clearly has two weight numbers stamped  in same location. As if it was stamped. Then the guy changed his mind and restamped it.

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen, I was hoping you could help me with the date of this 117 lb.Trenton anvil. From reading through the posts I am guessing it's from the late 20s.

DSC00222+_2_.JPG

Unfortunately there is not a whole lot left of the logo but you can make out the letters NT and part of the O

DSC00225+_2_.JPG

Serial No. 195767

DSC00224+_2_.JPG

Thanks for your help!

On 5/4/2017 at 7:07 AM, Black Frog said:

Shane Whitlock, that is the second to last logo stamp style that Trenton used in their U.S.-based production.  That one, and the style before it were never stamped very deep.  

Thanks for the info Black Frog!

• 1 month later...

I'll post pictures tomorrow. I had to do a lot of cleaning and rubbing to figure out I have a Trenton, the logo stamp is so light. All that can be made out is part of the diamond and TR  N . It is a 151 # serial number A (?) 38143. I bought it 20 years ago on ebay for about $1 a pound.I finally retired and have time to put it to use. What is the approx age of my beauty?

• 4 months later...