Trenton List

pkrankow

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/19/2021 at 4:40 PM, Yanni Rockitz said:

It's actually not hollowed out on the bottom at all, with the exception of a square hardie-type lifting point(?) hole. Appears pretty much flat and rough. I also took pics of the two 'ends' of the feet where that Peter Wright-style 'step' is forged onto the feet where the weight and serial numbers are usually found on American-made Trentons. 

I was just coming here to ask about mine, I had similar issues trying to figure out what it's deal was.

Mine is a 120, marked the same

TRENTON
PATENT
SOLID WROUGHT
as pictured below

BzHPmah.jpg

Curiously though, mind has an extra couple stamps on the "toes" of the feet, on the reverse, there are two 7s stamped at that location, pictured below

FBK5PQa.jpg

I felt pretty discouraged when I couldn't find the serial number, I was beginning to think it was counterfeit.

Just like yours, mine had a flat base, but handling holes on both front and rear, as well as underneath

Does anyone happen to know what these stamps mean? could it be a date code like 07/07? going by the dates stated earlier, it shouldnt be 1877, and I would find it hard to believe it's a serial number, being that it's limited to 2 digits

Based on what I was told, a solid base and no serial number means it's one of the early Trentons made in England, back around the turn of the 19th/20th century. Trenton apparently had them made under contract by English manufacturers for a time, back then. The American-made Trentons got serial numbers and all have a cavity in the base. No idea what the "7" on each foot's back toe means. You need someone with a copy of Anvils In America to chime in... (Cool anvil!) I'm guessing those are not original, but might have been added by a previous owner. Maybe it was station #7 is a large shop... You should call it "Lucky Sevens"   ;-)

thanks for the reply, I like the name.

Prompted from your england idea, I went and did some research and the popular consensus that I've stumbled across was it was probably made by one of the wright brothers (not the flying ones) and I would have to agree based off of their stamping scheme and the circular "SOLID WROUGHT" stamp, it seems to be the same on both. I know my picture doesnt have the best definition or lighting and the marking is very faint

The peter wright marking scheme i mentioned earlier, very similar aside from the use of hundredweight, even the size is similar

perfect_pw_logo_480.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.