I Forge Iron

Trenton List

pkrankow

Hi everyone,

Just cleaning up my Dad's old anvil & came across the faint stamp of TRE  ON on it. Thanks to your site I figured out it was

a Trenton & the weight is 95#. The serial number is A1405  166. Any ideas as to the age?

Thanks Bill

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Grimace32 said:

I just bought a used Trenton and would like to know what year it was made.  Would someone be willing to help me?  Stamped 177 on the left foot under the horn and A136638 under the right foot.  Thank you.

Can you post a closeup picture of the logo stamp on the other side of the anvil?

The tip about resizing the pictures. We have members from all over the world and may of them have to rely upon dial up internet or pay for extra data. Large pictures are data hogs and take forever to load with dial up. I imagine one of the Mods will be along to resize them for you.

As far as when that old gal was made, I imagine someone with a copy of AIA (Anvils in America) will be along to let you know when it was made. Have you read about not doing any welding, grinding or milling on the hardened face of it? What else would you like to know other than Trenton's are very good anvils as long as the face hasn't been de-laminated or ruined by heating to the point it has lost it's hardness.

Ah, yes resizing.. my apologies, and my thanks to the Mods for the resize. I am hoping to get a possible age on the anvil. She rings well, and will be doing a rebound test hopefully tomorrow. Good flat face, unfortunately a bunch of edge chipping and an oxy/acet gouge by the hardy. I just picked it up and don't plan on welding anything just yet.... :P

On 9/26/2019 at 10:22 PM, Chris The Curious said:

Don't know how I missed seeing your new Trenton, Grimace.  That's a real beaut.  I know you must be proud. 

Thank you Chris.  I am very happy with it & double-bonus because I'm originally from Columbus, OH and so is it.  Would love to get an exact date on it if anyone has the AiA book?  It has clean edges and face, rings like a bell and rebound is 80%-90% over the entire face.  I look forward to handing it down to a grandson or granddaughter one day.

Welcome to IFI Smed72... If you edit your profile to show your location we wont dun ya for it when an answer requires knowing where in the world you are located.

I'm sure someone with a copy of AIA (Anvils in America) will be along to give you a date (year) of manufacture. BTW nice condition is an understatement, to me it looks NIB.:) Mind telling us how you came about such a gem.

Haha, my friend is from Haifa region actually, maybe he got it from a navy sailor passing by.

And thanks for the date rustyanchor appreciate it, 1941-1943 WWII time anvil, that maybe explains the rough welding on the waists,

I read somewhere that in war time they did not waste too much time on the finish