I Forge Iron

Show me your vise

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome aboard Torbo, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header folk won't have to keep bugging you.

Looks like a jig for making hearts. Without seeing it in action I can't say for sure but it LOOKS a lot more complicated than is helpful.

Of course that's just my opinion I could be wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.

Torbo,

That looks very specialized, what do you use it for?

Bill

If you have things in vices that are not on line, or irregular, semicircular, etc. then the slopes (or what you call it), which are loose, set so that they get in touch. Then lock the slopes of levers and then hugs you to (screw it fast as normaly).
Comprises attachment uneven thing at several points and then it becomes easier to work.
I must admit that I have not used it as much, but it was nice to create something special.

• 3 weeks later...

I will make a new wise, and I shoult have some nice drawings.

Some good ideas?

Her is av wise I make for many many years ago:

2m4arh0.jpg

Have you seen somthing like this?

Welcome aboard Torbo, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header folk won't have to keep bugging you.

Looks like a jig for making hearts. Without seeing it in action I can't say for sure but it LOOKS a lot more complicated than is helpful.

Of course that's just my opinion I could be wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.

We had a vise similar to this in the Drill department. We didn't use it very often because it was, indeed a pain to get set up properly, but for small, irregular, shapes (or even small regular shapes) that nothing else would hold sufficiently for accurate production drilling, it was a life saver! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked this monster up last year on the way home from the spring conference. The guy I got it from said his dad used to clamp differentials from big rigs in it for rebuilding. It measures over 16 inches tall and 27 inches long the jaws are 6 inches. Very heavy, I took it apart to carry it into my shop.

post-10376-0-93486400-1402494596_thumb.jpost-10376-0-52570900-1402494644_thumb.jpost-10376-0-48494200-1402494692_thumb.jpost-10376-0-67462600-1402494741_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

My three leg vises, the left is my 3 1/4" traveling vise for demos. The right is my 4 1/2" shop vise and the monster in the middle is my "new" 8 7/16" Peddinghaus vise I just finished the stand for yesterday. The stand is all scrap yard finds, like the floor plate, it's a miss-cut jig table from someone, 250lbs though! All together it weighs around 500lbs.

post-35726-0-98013500-1404251352_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Was my great, great grandfather's vise, been in the family probably since vise was bought. 5" jaws, this is a Goldie vise, with one broken mounting bracket.   Inherited from my grandfather, and I use it all the time in my metal shop - I do metalsmithing and silversmithing these days.   have a newer vise I found at the local dump, but not mounted.

post-55436-0-76466200-1405571694_thumb.j

I put my post vise together late winter and have been using it now for a few months and it works great. I mounted it on a 4 inch square post that has half inch walls. The base is a 3 ft circle of quarter inch plate It. I built the tray based on the vises I have used at the New England School of Metal Smithing in Auburn ME. For general use this has turned into one of those things that I wonder how I did wthout it for years. When I really need to "reef" on it standing on the base makes that possible. I welded it together with my old Montgomery Ward stick welder. (I know I'm dating myself with that little nugget of info.)

post-22879-0-88274600-1405898696_thumb.j

Loneronin, your vise looks almost the same than my 7" post vise. I bought it second hand a few years back but gave it the good once over recently. I do not have a "before" pic but the cleaned up version is quite nice to look at and bonus: it does work without too much play or jaw offset.

post-55290-0-83527500-1406551702_thumb.j

I have one question though: the inner diameter of the "donut" between crankbar and front jaw, is quite a bit larger than the outer diameter of the "screw". How much play should the "donut" really have?