tecnovist

Forge weld flux

I've seen a lot of great info on here about forge welding I myself haven't had the pleasure of doing it yet so I'm reading this to learn as much as I can . my questions are how do you know you are up to welding temperature to start using borax ? Would it be about the same temperature you use to quinch ? Thanks 

So you can't like over do it with borax I mean that I know you dont want to mound it up just kind of sprinkle it on as u go as soon as it starts glowing ? 

when it will melt.  This is why some folks cut borax with other things like boric acid to get it to melt at a lower temp and so start excluding O2 sooner.

As to amounts: some folks like a sea of it and you can get borax stalactites depending from the bottom of your firepot grate, others like a very little.  What works best for you is the proper amount; though as one swordmaker has been quoted (not JPH), "borax is cheap don't be afraid to use enough!" 

23 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

some folks like a sea of it and you can get borax stalactites

I've done that a couple times and it makes a mess that causes bad clinker. That or destroys gas forge floors made of less than ideal materials.

On 8/13/2017 at 3:57 PM, Papaw forge said:

I've seen a lot of great info on here about forge welding I myself haven't had the pleasure of doing it yet so I'm reading this to learn as much as I can . my questions are how do you know you are up to welding temperature to start using borax ? Would it be about the same temperature you use to quinch ? Thanks 

You will be able to see very easily if it is hot enough, when you remove the billet from the fire and sprinkle some borax onto it if it is hot enough it will fluff up (unless you have prepared an anhydrous batch) and then melt and run into all the gaps between the individual pieces of steel. I did my first simple 3 layer san mai this morning and it was very obvious to see the flux melt and run into the bundle. I did make sure to place a sacrificial piece of firebrick in the bottom so the flux did not dissolve my kaowool. The flux goes black and looks hideous when it has cooled but once ground off I had a really nice seamless weld underneath. Way to go cheap borax flux! :)