I Forge Iron

Aussie Brush Fires Leaf Memorial, make and send leaves.

salty

I actually meant that 304 doesn't need annealing after welding, maybe I could have worded it better.

Paul

Yes, unless you're making them out of copper, it has to be stainless for the gum leaves and gumnuts. Anything with enough chromium to stop it rusting will be fine, preferably easily weldable that doesn't require annealing like 304 (aka 18/8).
Thanks,
Paul

I only found IFI today on the web. I started reading this thread and by page two I was starting to choke up, by the end of page eight I was crying, had tears running, complete with snot. I haven't done that in fifty years!

It's not just the concept which is fabulous, but the response that has really touched my heart.

I was personally fortunate the Churchill fire front was stopped a few hundred metres from my place at Gormandale at around 3.00am on the Sunday morning. Friends at Marysville have lost everything, worst of all many members of their local community and neighbors.

Your response has really touched my heart.

Thank you.

Mick.

The photos are of the fire front approaching Gormandale on the Saturday between 4 and 5 pm

11800.attach

11801.attach

11802.attach

Hi, this is Brian's girlfriend, Karen Here are pics of leaves Brian made for this cause, We also want to invite the blacksmiths in our area to ship our leaves together to save cost. You can contact us here or email us- brazealbrothers@yahoo.com and I will organize it. Also If anyone in our area wants to contribute but may need some help or forging info please let us know.

11824.attach

11825.attach

11826.attach

11827.attach

Mick,
your responsed touched my heart as well, we may be thousands of miles away, but you are all in our thoughts and prayers in this time of chaos. This group is a crazy and fun bunch, with very big hearts, many of us wish we had the resources to come help you rebuild. I would say that if you plan to travel to our neck of the woods, to look at the leaf contributors, see who is near where you are going, and reach out. We love to swap stories and show our shops!! You are welcome here in western NY anytime!

Four leaves on their way to OZ

Well it's official now, I just picked up the first parcel of leaves.
Thanks to Richard Thibeau for his excellent contribution and efforts in getting them to us so quickly from the other side of the world.

Cheers,
Paul Edited by Quang0
added location

Richard Thibeau G'Day Mate, Fantastic your welcome Down here any time you like.how's this,I was telling Paul Mills this morning I was making some leaves at the Berwick show over the weekend and telling some Blokes in the CFA (volunteer fire fighters) about the Tree Project,when I looked up they all had tear's in their eye's.they could'nt believe what the Blacksmithing community from all over the world were doing.
They All said Thanks
Salty

This are the pictures of the way I made my donation of a gum nut. First I fullered the 1/2" sch. 40 pipe, then I cut approximately 50 - 1" long pieces of .062 - 316L tig rod. I was able to scrounge up some scrap pieces to hold them in place while I tig welded the ends together. Then I welded that weldment to the end of the pipe. After a slight heating I moved and positioned the rods so they were spaced apart a little bit. After that I used the tig welder and balled each one of the rod ends. The clean up and polishing was done with a S/S hand wire brush and a S/S wire wheel on an angle grinder. - JK

11969.attach

11970.attach

11971.attach

11972.attach

11977.attach

11978.attach

11979.attach

11980.attach

11981.attach

11982.attach

11983.attach

11984.attach

11985.attach

Edited by jeremy k

Richard,Moony and Dale are great bloke's but.I hope they did'nt make you drink too much Aussie Beer mate.I'm looking forward to see-ing the leaves Moony make's us for the Tree Project under his Massie.
we'll give you and any of your mates agreat time here in Victoria,next time your over
Salty

Richard, I agree with Salty to a degree!!!! Have not had the pleasure of meeting Mooney yet but Dale **** of a nice bloke and someone I'll call a mate (and teacher) for a long time. As for drinking to much Aussie beer well thats were I frown (read Dales quote) nothing better... cheers ps Only 20mins from the airport free accommodation and as much AUSSIE beer you can drink....

Edited by steve sells
language

Hi Guys,

I just thought I had better check with everyone who has posted images of their leaves it they have any specific objection to having their details (name & location) on The Tree Project website in the leaf gallery. It's not like we're giving your address or posting your photo, but please let me know if you would prefer to remain anonymous.

Cheers,
Paul

Here are my finished leaves,boy stainless is hard work, I'm sure my right arm is larger than it used to be and I found my anvil, which normally stays put, was creeping across the floor with my heavy blows :o. But it sure was a great experience and such a worthy cause. Beth, if you go back a few posts in this thread you will find a link to the Tree Project web site with all the details. :)

Ian

12067.attach