I Forge Iron

Aussie Brush Fires Leaf Memorial, make and send leaves.

salty

Got one little gaffer pounded out (~6"x1-1 1/4", photos when the camera is up and running). Just need a stainless steel wire brush to clean it up. Quick question, vinegar doesn't do anything for passivation, just cleans up the metal? I've got it soaking in it to aid in the wire brushing but I'm still confused after reading up on the passivation threads. I don't want to use the more dangerous acids as I'm in an apartment.

Quick question, vinegar doesn't do anything for passivation, just cleans up the metal? I've got it soaking in it to aid in the wire brushing but I'm still confused after reading up on the passivation threads. I don't want to use the more dangerous acids as I'm in an apartment.

A day in which you learn nothing is a day lost. Today is one I'll be keeping. Passivation? never heard of it. At first I thought your leaf was a bit too excited and needed calming down for it's trip to Australia. After a quick look around I found it's nothing to do with that:rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry too much about it as I imagine we'll be doing something about passivation to all the leaves. I would just wire brush it and buff it if you can and send it off. It wouldn't matter either if you just pulled it out of the slack tub and stuck it in its postage container. We'd hate to see your apartment dissolve into the street:o

Hello
I think that there will be some leaves from the south west
Many blacksmiths are mobilizing to find stainless steel :)
Forging event ( " Les carillons d'enclumes"/"the chimes of anvils") 20 and 21 June in Fontenille
.............. Come many ;)
P.L

I am just a beginner smith, but I want to try and contibute, so expect a leaf from me if you can recognize it as a leaf that is. XD I will give it my best shot though. : ) Any ideas where to get stainless steel?? Also any certain temperatures or such it need to be worked at?

Edited by Drako11

G'Day all
althou it's not me pictured in the artical , i am mentioned . :) Dale Russell

Mmmm...probably a good idea not to use your photo anyway eh Dale?

An excellent article except for the bit about forging hope for one town in particular. I s'pose the media is the media :rolleyes:...not much we can do about that. Doing some research would have helped...ahhh well.

Dale, you were mentioned in the Star News Group but alas not in Parliament. The Tree was though. The reach of the Project is amazing me at every turn! Have a look at

VicHansard - Parliament of Victoria

and search for 'Tree Project' in the search box

Wish I could make it up the valley to Yarra Junction but that is one I will have to miss due to family needs.

But - I am ready to go for Eltham on Saturday and I will be christening the new anvil and portable anvil stand fitted with wheels and built in vice (yes it looks kinda wierd - but its a prototype).

Now - if I want to use off the shelf hammers on my new small 20lb anvil (until I make my own), what size ball pein and cross pein hammers do I buy to use (before I make my own - I promise).

And well done to Danielle Green, secretary to the Victorian State Government Minister for Emergency Services, fellow CFA Diamond Creek Fire Brigade volunteer member and convert to the tree project, for giving us a good run in parliament.

what size ball pein and cross pein hammers do I buy to use (before I make my own - I promise).

Unc.
A 2 pound ball pein would do you for a long time. Trouble is the off the shelf models are too flat. Take it gently to the grinder and turn the flat into a very shallow dome say about 2mm high and round off the edges as well. This way you won't leave two bob marks all over your work. Inspection will be noon on Saturday at Eltham. Good luck. You could do without a cross pein for a little while at least.

It's officially in the mail express post to Jim in california. Hope it makes it.

Didn't get a deep etch but oh well, wouldn't be able to go looking for it anyways. Will need better passivation though. I'm assuming you guys will be making sure they all get done on your end for insurance anyways?

Ryan Ridgway
Avonlea/Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada

Insurance? Well surety at least. We'll take care of that bit, so thanks for your contribution. It's really going to be a surprise when I get to open the parcel that Jim and Shawn will be sending us. I can't wait to see them all, it'll be great, just like Christmas al over again.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul,
Just wondering if our leaves got to you from The Bonneville Forge Council here Utah USA
We send them over 2 weeks ago. Hope all is going well with the project and we were grateful to be a part of it.Our hearts go out to those that lost family and friends and hope they feel comfort that all the blacksmiths in the world really to care about others.
Your Friend, Gaylan

G'day Gaylan,

We haven't seen them yet, but if it was over 2 weeks ago, they can't be far off now! I'll be sure to let you know when they land. Looking forward to seeing them all.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul,
Just wondering if our leaves got to you from The Bonneville Forge Council here Utah USA
We send them over 2 weeks ago. Hope all is going well with the project and we were grateful to be a part of it.Our hearts go out to those that lost family and friends and hope they feel comfort that all the blacksmiths in the world really to care about others.
Your Friend, Gaylan

Oops! I didn't realize that there were quite as many pages as there actually were. Next time I shall investigate more thoroughly before posting a question.

I will sneak out to Finnr's this weekend, and see if I can make a few leaves that do not look thoroughly amateur. If all goes well, they should reach you before the deadline. Hope it will help.

Best wishes.

Unc.
A 2 pound ball pein would do you for a long time. Trouble is the off the shelf models are too flat. Take it gently to the grinder and turn the flat into a very shallow dome say about 2mm high and round off the edges as well. This way you won't leave two bob marks all over your work. Inspection will be noon on Saturday at Eltham. Good luck. You could do without a cross pein for a little while at least.

You know I only just read this today, so I got the hammer out and rolled the edge off it ready for Yarra Junction on Sunday. Oh, and if all goes well I will have a 27" tall 12" square post offcut from the local mill as a new anvil stand for junior (the A frame trolley stand was a momentary act of madness).

And off post - I mixed up some of Fanny's magic steel treatment goo today and finished my restored leg vice - lovely stuff!

Paul,
Our hearts go out to those that lost family and friends and hope they feel comfort that all the blacksmiths in the world really to care about others.
Your Friend, Gaylan

Gayland, I've said this before and I have no hesitation in saying it again. 'They' are truly comforted by your effort. Having attended most of the leaf making days I can relate exactly the appreciation of affected people...it is from the bottom of their hearts. May I pass on the thanks I received from a lady on Saturday. She was in tears as she expressed her gratitude for what you and me and all the other blacksmiths were doing. I tell you it was hard holding back my own tears, such was the emotion of the moment.

No worries Steve, sooner, later, she'll be right mate

Mornin yall, From Pontotoc, Mississippi. I just got 6 leaves off to CA this week. I am hoping to see lots more about the tree project. All our hearts go out to everyone affected by the fires. I am just tickled i could send my very small part to the project and wish i could do more. Yall keep us posted with whats going on with the tree. Thanks again, John