I Forge Iron

Aussie Brush Fires Leaf Memorial, make and send leaves.

salty

Thanks for the photo Ian, we're working on revamping the leaf gallery so I'll get them up online soon!
I know what you mean about SS being hard alright, you shall now be known to me as Ian, Master of the dancing anvil.
Cheers,
Paul

Here are my finished leaves,boy stainless is hard work, I'm sure my right arm is larger than it used to be and I found my anvil, which normally stays put, was creeping across the floor with my heavy blows :o. But it sure was a great experience and such a worthy cause. Beth, if you go back a few posts in this thread you will find a link to the Tree Project web site with all the details. :)

Ian

G'day All,

Great to see the leaves coming in. There's a lot of talk around this country regarding how proud we can feel about ourselves for the way we have, and continue to, help our mates, most of whom we don't know from a bar of soap let alone their background or circumstance. I think the worldwide blacksmithing community can feel equally proud of the way you have put in for what is probably no personal gain save that warm fuzzy feeling (Oh, and the experience of working with stainless steel...phew, "I'm pretty tired now"). But we can't stop there. As I look out the window at the nearest gum tree I can see a zillion gum leaves, so we need as many as possible to make a gum tree. Thanks in advance for the ones that haven't been made and sent yet.

12221.attach

Strewth Strine , no wonder youse is tired , think Paul / Salty just asked for a " couple " not a 1/2 a tree's worth .... :)

Thanks ta Bully ave a bit more stainless ( yes Bully , your in for a " few more " yet bloke ,you need the practice , but thumpers waiting .. :) ) & i / we will bang out a few more for the tree

Richard ,, i'm game ta go again with youse next OZ trip ( btw , for a Yank youse took ta our " real " beer like a duck ta water )

Dale Russell

Beautiful work Doug, and I'd expect nothing less from you!

And I agree whole heartedly with your sentiments, and also that we can't stop now. So here's a couple more from me, this time in copper.
You can take it from me, it's a lot easier on the arms that's for sure. So I expect 3 times as many from everyone now!.

Seriously though, thanks to everyone who has contributed, and as Doug says, thanks in advance for those that haven't yet been made and sent.

Cheers,
Paul

12276.attach

Oh, and for all those that think they can't do it, think again.
I had two more non-blacksmiths come over to my workshop yesterday and forge stainless steel leaves. One of the guys is in our local CFA and is spreading the word about the project to all he knows. Both of the guys were absolutely wrapped to be able to contribute to the project, and completely blown away by everyones generosity in contributing to the project. I'll be putting pictures of their leaves up on The Tree Project website tomorrow, so go and check them out.

Cheers,
Paul

Bring it on Richard, not the drinking your trip over (yeah ok will attempt to quench the thirst too)

Dale just let me know if you want some more stainless (or anyone else for that matter and I will do my best)
Thanks again for last Sunday had a ball and again learnt heaps...cheers

Great work Strine and Quang0 and thanks for your words of encouragement, there is certainly some talented people out there , and its great to see the CFA guys getting in it. I'm going to Sydney on Saturday and hope to get some stainless while the wifes at uni. It would be good to try some different leaves and maybe some gumnuts.

Hi All,
Just a word about the leaves. We at the Bonneville Forge Council here in Utah meet on Sat. March 14th. Some where busy making forges, but we talked about the Tree Project and I had brought some stainless steel so some of us made about 14 leaves so far and some will continue to make more. Its been alot of fun and what a great cause.
Your Friend, Gaylan

Thanks for the link Dale, good to see its getting coverage,we just need sponsors for the stainless trunk and branches an welding consumables. I don't have any contacts but I'll ask at the steel suppliers I'm going to in Sydney on Saturday.;)

Cheers,
Ian Ross

Thanks Dale, I just had a listen to Paul with Derek Geal on 774 ABC (...sorry to those to whom this means absolutely nothing) which Salty alerted me to. I didn't realise there was an earlier broadcast.

There is a certain irony here. From a simple plea from Salty, made on this forum off his own bat, The Tree Project is beginning to gain in strength just as the fires began with one little spark or flame which turned into an inferno. It was said to sound like a squadron of approaching FA18 Hornets. I'm feeling goose bumpy thinking about it. If we amalgamated the sound of all the hammers pounding on stainless steel gum leaves around the world the Hornets by comparison would sound more like a couple of mozzies annoying you in your sleep. The difference though is that the outcome of this venture will have nothing but a positive effect rather than total devastation and for some, it will be profound.

G'day Richard,

Right now, I'm holding around 50 leaves that have been made by various 'smiths. The only international ones I have received thus far are yours, so thanks very much.
I have seen evidence of many more and heard of even more yet, so I await the flood.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul...any idea how many leaves you have received so far ??

G'day Bully,

We're still deciding on the best method of producing the trunk and main branches- forged stainless, investment cast stainless or investment cast bronze, so it's difficult to say for that part right now. What we do need is smaller size bar stock to make the branches and leaves. Anything from 50mm to 3mm really. Preferrably 304. As for quantity, well the more the merrier is what I'm thinking. Depending on the size of the leaf and the stock, you need somewhere between 50mm and 150mm to forge a leaf and SS is usually sold in 4m lengths. Now we need somewhere around 2000 leaves, so either get the calculator out, or just get as much as you can!

And yes, you are right, if you never ask, you'll never know.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, Can you let me know what quantity stainless you are after re sponsorship etc and I will put my feelers out...No harm in asking..
Edited by Quang0
added quantity

G'day Doug,

I've never once been able to hammer in time with another 'smith for longer than 3 blows in a row, but i agree if we could amalgamate the sound of hammers pounding for the tree project it certainly would be a deafening roar!

Re the 774 tonight- You have to promise not to use that interview in evidence against me at some point in the future!

On another note, I received a phone call from a journalist from the BBC in London, and I'll be doing an interview with them tomorrow! So stay tuned for details of that one.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Dale, I just had a listen to Paul with Derek Geal on 774 ABC (...sorry to those to whom this means absolutely nothing) which Salty alerted me to. I didn't realise there was an earlier broadcast.

There is a certain irony here. From a simple plea from Salty, made on this forum off his own bat, The Tree Project is beginning to gain in strength just as the fires began with one little spark or flame which turned into an inferno. It was said to sound like a squadron of approaching FA18 Hornets. I'm feeling goose bumpy thinking about it. If we amalgamated the sound of all the hammers pounding on stainless steel gum leaves around the world the Hornets by comparison would sound more like a couple of mozzies annoying you in your sleep. The difference though is that the outcome of this venture will have nothing but a positive effect rather than total devastation and for some, it will be profound.