I Forge Iron

Hay-Budden List

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just picked up my first London pattern anvil. It is stamped Hay Budden #144 on the side and 218927 on the front (I believe). There is also what appears to be 045 stamped on the back side. The 0 may be just random wear, though. Would someone be willing to check the date for me? Here is an album of photos of it, for those interested http://imgur.com/a/GMB1g.

Hey guys this is my first post. I thought it would be appropriate since my first anvil was a Hay Budden. Serial # is 84002 though the 2 is stamped sideways, it also has 2 more two's stamped on the waist above the serial #. The weight stamped on the anvil 133# I have not taken the time to weigh it for the actual weight but from what i have heard they are stamped with the correct weight give or take a couple pounds. I got it from the Windmill Ranch in Stockton Ca. along with my forge and tools, they were all used by the gentleman that sold them to me. I purchased them all for $125.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I've really been enjoying all the posts and have learned so much already! I just purchased an HB "plowmakers anvil". It says "209" and then a serial number of A144972. Where all "A" series manufactured in 1920? It's in rally great shape and I paid $1.65 per pound at a garage sale yesterday. I'm really excited about this one!

Ricky, NICE SCORE!!!! Your anvil was made in 1919, AIA page 303. The "A" prefix started in 1918. Where are you located? There are groups all over the country and by knowing you location we can help you hook up with one of them....of course IFI is in over 50 countries!! You can update you profile giving you location would really help. Good to have you here and look forward to seeing some work made on that anvil!

Born in 1895! and yes, that is the weight....in lbs. Where are you located? If you update your profile giving your location we can help you hook up with some local smiths...possibly. Howbout showing us some of your work coming off that anvil, we LIKE pictures!

Born in 1895! and yes, that is the weight....in lbs. Where are you located? If you update your profile giving your location we can help you hook up with some local smiths...possibly. Howbout showing us some of your work coming off that anvil, we LIKE pictures!

Wow, didn't think it was that old!

I wish I had pictures of work to share, I'm a newbie just getting started. I should have my coal forge finished up this weekend and then I'll be ready to start learning. Planning on taking some classes and hoping to get to know some smiths in my area.

I'll post up some pictures of the anvil later this week though.

Thanks for the info!

Hi all. this is my first post after reading every thing I could on this site the last couple of weeks. Love it. I bought my first anvil today, need some help with date. Hay Budden #128_23 or 138_23.Can"t hardly read it. Weighs about 130#. Any help? Thanks Randy.