I Forge Iron

Hay-Budden List

Sask Mark, I ordered the book a few days ago and I am waiting for it to come. I'm kind of excited because they let me have the author inscribe it to me personally.:D

Thomas, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for that bit of insight. I will give that a whirl, or rather a bounce.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone help with the date of manufacture of my 100# anvil. The best
I can tell the numers on the base are 8006 with possibly a fifth number. There is a number 0 under the horn. Thanks.

Could be as early as 1893 (if it's only the 3 numbers) with a 5th number it could be from 1902.

• 1 month later...

I have 2 Hay Buddens. First is shop anvil ( 147 # ) and 2nd is trailer anvil ( 116 # ). Serials written down somewhere. You may find that Hay Budden was called the Rolls Royce of American wrought anvils. Kieth has a nice 175 lb in the Threshers shop.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! Harv 'Coastie' Larabell here............just bought a 105# Hay-Budden off eBay for $250.00, located within 80 miles of my house....item number 190307236590 if you want to take a peek. Looks like S/N 31204 if anyone has an Anvils of America book would be neat to know the year. I've been using a piece of RR tie up till now although I also am really just a beginner. I have been 'collecting' for quite some time in anticipation of retirement which may be this October. I have a small coal forge with a Buffalo hand crank blower, a propane forge from 'Poorboy', A/C stick welder, small wire feed welder, oxy/ace set, a few hammers, chop saw, grinders and now a Hay-Budden Anvil........ and lots of Oak stumps to set em on! I was fortunate to have a neighbor for quite a few years that was an excellent Smith and he taught me the basics. On weekends I would watch out my back window for 'coal' smoke coming out of his barn then I'd grab a few cold ones and run over. He had an awesome power hammer that ran off an overhead belt, bout all I remember about it. Very glad I found this site and thank everyone for the wealth of information posted. I want to do a Rose next and I also have (60) RR spikes to do something with! Thanks all! :) Coastie

• 3 months later...