I Forge Iron

Hay-Budden List

Hello all,

I am new to the site and a newbie at blacksmith work. So my brother helped out getting a nice old buffalo forge and some miscellaneous hammers, and a pretty nice Hay Budden anvil. I would love to know a little more about it if anyone can help me out. I have been perusing the othe anvil posts, and would like to clean it up a little, and put it to work. I have read on here to wirewheel it and put some Johnsons paste wax on it. Is that the best way to go?

Anvil Serial number is:65530 it could be 65332 or 65330. Couple of the numbers are hard to read. There is also a number 8 stamped sideways under the horn. The weight markings (I assume they are weight markings) are 1 7 0. It seems like that should be 170 pounds, there is no way they can be the same as the English markins, that would make it almost 300 pounds.

After reading on here I am pretty excited about this anvil. Might need to get it a new stump though.

Thanks all, hopefully I will be posting up some forged projects soon.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

I am new to the site and a newbie at blacksmith work. So my brother helped out getting a nice old buffalo forge and some miscellaneous hammers, and a pretty nice Hay Budden anvil. I would love to know a little more about it if anyone can help me out. I have been perusing the othe anvil posts, and would like to clean it up a little, and put it to work. I have read on here to wirewheel it and put some Johnsons paste wax on it. Is that the best way to go?

Anvil Serial number is:65530 it could be 65332 or 65330. Couple of the numbers are hard to read. There is also a number 8 stamped sideways under the horn. The weight markings (I assume they are weight markings) are 1 7 0. It seems like that should be 170 pounds, there is no way they can be the same as the English markins, that would make it almost 300 pounds.

After reading on here I am pretty excited about this anvil. Might need to get it a new stump though.

Thanks all, hopefully I will be posting up some forged projects soon.
The weight mark is on the side under the logo and is in lbs. The 8 under the horn is a inspectors stamp.
Ken.

"1 7 0....there is no way they can be the same as the English markings, that would make it almost 300 pounds."

Not to mention that the center number cannot be greater than "3" in the CWT system! (It's for quarter hundredweights and so can only be 0,1,2,3 as 4 quarters would increment the first number)

But as mentioned American made anvils are generally weight stamped in pounds.

• 1 month later...

225 lb, #218768. Bought from a ranch outside Burkeville Texas 30 years ago for $100.

I'll give you $200.00 for it now! Shoot, that's doubling your money + 30yrs of use!! Your anvil was made in 1914, AIA page 303. And you are only about 3 hour south of me, how bout I drive down on Monday to pick it up? :lol:
Opps, noticed you are now in Baton Rouge,LA....Oh well....

Numbers are 209102. Was told it was made in 1913. Honestly does not matter to me when it was made. It's a wonderful anvil. Would not take love nor money for it. The push rods were replaced with rr spikes. Seems to work well for what I do with it.

post-13863-0-62559500-1293372303_thumb.j

Hello, Can anyone tell me how old my Hay Budden anvil is that I am repairing ? Serial number, 105808.

WHOA!! how bad of shape is it in??? Show us some pictures BEFORE you do anything. Been many anvil messed up by "repairing" them. Not that you are uncapable, but there's quite a bit of work and you need to be knowledgable of the processes to do it correctly. Hope I haven't offended you but I see that you are new here and well....

WOW dude! that one definitely qualifies! Would really enjoy seeing the results when complete. When you do so could you start a new thread showing pictures as you progress through the process. Robb's procedure is your best choice, IMO. Oh, BTW, Welcome to IFI. Didn't greet you last night but we are glad you are here and look forward from seeing some of your work and reading your post. Good luck with your "little" project! :P