I Forge Iron

Hay-Budden List

mine is a #208 H.B! i love it I love I LOVE IT!!! its my main anvil it starts with a 1 ithink on the serial number i need to learn how the logos are setup because i can see the name and the weight and the serial number and i know that there is more but i dont know what the say. i need to know what to look for.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Thomas. I had a good look but its too far worn to make out. I was told by the people I bought it off that it was about 90 years old. Also I use a British Alcosa side blast forge from the 1870s, so I'm told. It came over to NZ with an English blacksmith 9 or 10 years ago. I love the old gear. Jason

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Because I have students, I have four Hey Buds. One is old and blocky looking, about 225# according to the coal yard scale; the weight marking is gone. Another is a good looking one @227#. I have one of the long farriers' patterns @211#, and another farriers' pattern weighing 140#.

http://www.turleyforge.com

Hay-Budden Anvil Info

This is what I found on my anvil.

On the left front foot ?201047?, with the number "5" on the right front foot.

On the left side (standing at the heel looking toward the horn) I found the number ?107?

And on the right side I found some messed up numbers that was 00 or 90, along with some words that I cannot decipher. I would have to guess that it is the weight of the anvil (90 pounds).

The Actual Weight is 90 Pounds

Thanks to Jr. I now know that 201047 = 1913. The same year my mother was born!

Ted T

i find this interesting because mine has an 8 stamped on one of its feet. i had been wondering about htis for some time. what is it???

Lakeside was also made by Trenton... I could not find and #s for Lakeside to date your anvil, also did not see the letter 'L' prefix in the samples given for Lakeside. But I am still learning this great book "Anvils In America" so I would bet that someone more familuar with the book can comment. (Lakeside mentioned on pages 289 and 354.)

trentons and hay buddens are a LOT alike...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Thomas, thanks for the quick reply. I am new to the computer thing so hope I did this right. I have really enjoyed the site and am learning new ideas from seeing other peoples shop pics. I build knives (stock removal) and am trying to learn to forge but dont know anyone in my area to ask for help. thanks again, hope you have a great day. Nathan Carey