I Forge Iron

Hay-Budden List

Ok, someone mentioned that we should make a list of the Hay-Buddens people might have. Well I kept waiting and no one has started so here goes...
I have 2 and ironically both of mine were born the same year!

1) A36759 180# made mid 1921 my main anvil
2) A34299 105# made mid 1921 setting up to use as demo anvil

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone! Brand spankin new blacksmith here - took a weekend class at Brookfield in CT and a 4 day class at NESM with Derek Glaser, and they were pretty amazing experiences.

I picked up a HB 144# (I think) from a retired smith here in Maine, and the number stamped looks like 19870. It was pretty rusted (the Hay-Budden logo on the side is barely visible due to wear) but I think those are all the digits. I'm guessing this one is pretty old since it's only got 5 digits in the number.

Anyone care to look up when it was born?

Thanks!

-Dave

Hey to my Hey-Bud brethren.
I suggested that we start this thread last week but then I was unable to accsess the this web site for several days so it didn't get done untill now. Thanks to who ever that was that kicked things off.
I have #11243 @134lbs. and according to AIA, made in 1898.
I'm in N.E. Wisconsin, U.S.A. This is my main anvil, with a 110lb Russian pattern for my number 2 and a 99lb PW for demos.

86 pound Lakeside, L97100 Made by Hay Budden for Wards As I remember.
Finnr

Lakeside was also made by Trenton... I could not find and #s for Lakeside to date your anvil, also did not see the letter 'L' prefix in the samples given for Lakeside. But I am still learning this great book "Anvils In America" so I would bet that someone more familuar with the book can comment. (Lakeside mentioned on pages 289 and 354.)