I Forge Iron

Hay-Budden List

I have a 200# HB bought at least 20 years ago for $100. At that time I didn't know to look for the number signifying weight and I was so excited about finding it and getting a great price that I just picked it up and set it in the trunk of my Volkswagon Rabbitt. When I got home I couldn't get it out for the life of me. I'd lift as high as I could and the car just kept on following it up. Finally went and got my neighbor to help.

I've been accumulating stuff ever since and I'm finally getting ready to set up a forge. If there are any other guys in the SI area lets get in touch.

The number on my HB seems to be 11342. Anyone know it's age?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent shape w/clean edges, found on Craigslist.org. A20753, 1920, $175, 170# a guess as the middle number is missing, and I do not have a scale handy. The other anvil the seller was keeping looked to be a match, and it is marked 170. Haven't used it yet.

I still have the anvil Dad , and I started on , a 260# Fisher Eagle dated 1907 which a friend located for him. Also have a 1928 306# Swedish Soder****? (machine shop auction), 1997 JHM Journeyman Farrier's model w/turning cams (Craigslist), and another anvil (school district auction) no name found yet, just 15 cast onto the front base,150#? Somewhat triangular when viewed from the side with a short stocky horn.

I believe Dad got the Fisher for $250-$260, the unknown was $50, Swedish was $200-$250 IIRC, and the JHM came as a package with a single burner forge, folding stand with spring vise, shoe material, tongs, hammers, etc for $250.

Also have a 1928 306# Swedish Soder****? (machine shop auction).

I believe Dad got the Fisher for $250-$260, the unknown was $50, Swedish was $200-$250 IIRC, .

I have a 125lb Soderfors and love it beyond all reason. Made in 1933 and I paid WAY more than you did but anvils are hard to come by here.

Is yours a London pattern, double horn, hornless, or? Is it named?

Mine is a "Sorceress #5". I'd love to have another in the 250-300 lb range but I'm still far from reasonable priced anvils.

Frosty

Frosty,
it is a London pattern (standard looking anvil). I will look closer for a name. There is a shield/crest next to Soderfors (thanks, couldn't make out the whole name). Under the weight, and date is a large stamped number 4.

Being aways from anvils, and other blacksmithing equipment sounds like a good excuse for a road trip to me :D

I seem to be finding them fairly often lately. I missed a 25# for $30 on Craigslist the other day, and there is one near my house that I have seen sitting outside for the past 4 years that I want to go ask about. My H-B , and the JHM were within a month of each other. The 25# is pretty small, but I just dug out a small bench top? forge that I forgot I had, and thought it would go nice with that. Speaking of things I forgot I had, I also dug out a couple more forge blowers. I need to get all of this stuff in one area, so I can figure out what I want to keep, and what can go to someone else.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a new old anvil with what may be A25000 on the front left foot look down the length of the anvil from the horn side. It also has a 001 on the heel looking at the side of the anvil with the horn on the left. Does that info make sense and have a meaning?

Your anvil was made in 1920...enjoy it!

Thomas Dean and Sask Mark,

Thank you for providing the DOB of my Hay Budden. Its ring was piercing until I made a proper stand and clamped it down well. I do love it. I now also have a 260# Old World Anvil. The H-B will travel and holds all my hardy tools. It is really handy having two anvils when going from one process to another. Again, thanks, DocJohnson