I Forge Iron

How much fuel (charcoal, coal, coke, propane) do you have on hand?

I have one 20lb propane tank that gets filled up when its empty. Just about every gas station around here fills them, so Its fairly easy to get filled. I only have about 60lbs of coal around because I have to drive an hour just to go get it, and then its $7 for a 40 lb. bag. Also, I dont have alot of coal around because I prefer propane unless I'm demoing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 x 200 lt plastic drum 3/4 full of coke ,1 x 60 ltr drum of coke ( this 1 i throw inta back of ute when i'm of demoing ) , 1 x 200 ltr drum full of charcoal , 2 x 45 kg plastic bags of charcoal ( should be getting 2 more just like them Monday or Tuesday for FREE ) , 2 x 60 lt drums of charcoal ( also gets thrown inta back of ute when i'm demoing , flying " fleas " give out the impression that the fires realy HOT to the crowd )

Dale Russell

I am on the Mississippi River side of Iowa-Chicage is about 185 miles away. I need coke. I am working on my skillet forge . I want coke because my neighbors houses and garages are typical in the city spacing- 25 feet away each side. luckily they are young couples on each side and occasionally having an "old timer" around is fun for them. I am sure they think I am that " Nice but crazy old guy on the block-you know, the one with the three cute silly dogs. He is polite and doesn't beat on things when we are around too much." Coal smoke might break up the party.mt

I generally use coal and order 500 or 1,000 pounds at a time. I have about 200 in store at present. I aso use coke and have an unlimited supply free here on site. I sometimes use charcoal and again get that free here. I have 3 stacks of cut split logs which I also sometimes use as smoke is not an issue. So I think the chances of running out of fuel are fairly low.

I have 75Lbs of coal on hand . 35 Lbs of coke on hand (waiting for forging my first hammer) I have 1 Full 20lb tank of propnae and have another 20Lb tank empty though. This coming up week i`am plan on getting a ton of coal. I also plan on get the emtpy tank exchanged.
Chris

At home I have about 200lbs of chopped mixed solid fuel biomass, and maybe 5 gallons of used oil. I get more oil when I'm down to 1 gallon, and biomass whenever I come across it.

The hot shop at college always keeps a 100lb tank of propane on hand, and the blacksmiths (mainly me and 2 other guys) and the lampworkers have to share it, which can be frustrating.

• 2 years later...

I have 200 pounds of l-brand coke and 100 pounds of charcoal. My 100 pound propane tank has been empty for a few weeks due to the costs going up. I have decided to concentrate on forging with coke. I bought one of Grants blowers from Blacksmith depot because the handcrank blower was getting redundant. Of course i have burned a few things up getting used to the new blower.
I had a beautiful billet of damascus made with the twist completed, today i was getting ready to make a nice kitchen knife and burned the billet in half! Maybe the hand crank blower is a safer bet for me?

I have 200# of blacksmtithing coal in the shed its pricy at $34.99 for 50#. I need to get my propane tank filled its a 30 pounder. I do however have coal from the Healy coal mine available at $120 a ton and that includes delivery. I haven't tried it yet but I've been told it is very serviceable.

Wow, I feel like a big slacker! I buy 100lbs of coal from Centuar Forge at a time. Of this, right now I have about 60lbs of coal, and 10ish of coke that I've save from the fires. I need to sweep that up as I kicked the buck the other day!

50# corn (haven't tried it yet, supposed to smell better than coal)
50# coal (deciding if I like it or not...I think I don't because of the smell, maybe if I had a setup with a chimney)
40# cherry pits (experiment, untested, at times cheaper than corn)
20# charcoal from the store
(1) 20# propane tank, and about 1/2 tank on the grill.
4 cord soft maple (not intended for the forge)

Haven't lit a fire in weeks, only doing cold work if I get play time in the shop lately. I may have enough solid fuel to last the year, and the grill alone will use 4 bottles this summer.

Phil

Hi all, new here to I Forge Iron. Still pretty much a hobbyist Blacksmith, but learning every day. Right now, I have a 55 gal drum of good coal on hand. I dont keep much more than that on hand for the time, as I work in my backyard and store everything in a shed, and dont do alot of smithing. I am not really worried about the amount that I have on hand, as I can get coal fairly easily.
Glad to have found this Forum,

I'd guess I have about 5.5 ton of coal next to my barn, since we hold the chapter meetings there, and we were able to buy out another facilities coal, we sold about 4 ton and the rest was verrrrry cheap for our own purposes, and what's even better, my wife does not mind!!

i have a little more than a tone. i useally go when im at 1/2 a tone left, its rather hard to find around here for a good price, we useally have to band together and order a bunch , i tend to get 2 tones at a time.