I Forge Iron

How much fuel (charcoal, coal, coke, propane) do you have on hand?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment I only have about 100 pounds of coal remaining, I was hoping to have a shop built with a new coal storage area before the snow flies here but it is looking less and less likely. My plan was to go and purchase a half ton (1000 pounds) to put in the store house (not yet built) but plans seem to be made to be broken... I'm about as low now as I ever let myself get, but I did actually run out one time about15 years ago... It wasn't exactly convenient having to get in my truck driving the 35 miles one way...

I use propane from a 100 pound tank, keeping a 30 pounder filled for a spare. I keep two 35 gallon plastic, wheeled trash cans with lids filled with coal, several five gallon plastic buckets filled with metalurgical coke purchased a few years back, and about forty pounds of lump hardwood charcoal in the shed, which I use mostly for cooking various critters.

I currently have 500-600 lbs of coal. a mostly full 100lb bottle of propane, 2-20 lb bottles of propane 1 full 1 maybe 1/2 and about 8-10 cords of ready to split oak and maple, mainly for heat in the shop and house but have used it in the forge many a time when the budget wouldn't support forge fuel.
Which reminds me how I need to get splitting right soon, it'll be any day now I'll be needing to spark up the woodstove.

welder19

A 40# tank fresh full and a truck sized pile of coal next house down..This is eastern,Ky..I can drive down the highway and find coal off the buckets sometimes...In fact I have befor..A bucket tipped and dumped about 50 Tons at the mouth of my road a few months ago..Buzzards beat me to the slack though :mad: The company comes gets most of it but there is always a few tons left..

I have two 100lb and two 40lb propane bottles, probably 1/2-3/4 ton of coal and 15 acres of birch forest right around the shop.

I fill all the bottles when I hook up the last one. Primarily I use the 40s for demos and the 100s in the shop.

Frosty

Currently have 600# blacksmithing coal that I picked up at the AL Forge Council Gathering at Tannehill first weekend in Sep,stored off the ground in 50# sacks and covered to minimize IR damage to plastic type bags. Had previously been using heating/stove coal because that was all that was available locally. Jerry

Currently, I have on hand ; 1000# coal , 500+/- gallons propane in the shop tanks, [3] 150 cf. tanks of acetylene. This should get me through the jobs at hand.
Good coal is hard to come by, here in NW Washington state, so I'm pretty careful how I use it . Anybody here bought any good coal recently? Available from Vancouver, BC to Tacoma?