I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not directly related to blacksmithing but lends itself to it very easily. At about the age of 8 or so  while lying on the ground crying after jumping off the garage roof my Grandma said to me, "If you're gonna be that dumb, you better get a lot tougher.", then she turned  and went back into the house without another word.

8 hours ago, pnut said:

"If you're gonna be that dumb, you better get a lot tougher.",

I LOVE your Grandmother, she reminds me of my Mother. Everybody needs someone like her in our early lives. 

I believe it was John Wayne who said, "Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid."

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, I miss her. She was an interesting lady. She'd say something like that or tell a bawdy joke while wearing white gloves and a hat. She was a throwback ti   another time. She was born in 1921. 

On 4/5/2019 at 1:06 PM, pnut said:

Yeah, I miss her. She was an interesting lady. She'd say something like that or tell a bawdy joke while wearing white gloves and a hat. She was a throwback ti   another time. She was born in 1921. 

That puts her right between my parents. My maternal Grandmother was born in 1890 and knew some seriously dirty jokes. We had a family tradition of sitting together at a table in the evenings when things were done and playing games. Card games, board games on rare occasions something experimental though parents nor Grandmother would play twister. Anyway I was visiting one Christmas and friends of theirs, Jack and Katie were up to the hill and we were playing games. Katie tells an adult joke, then Mother tells one, my turn so I tell a dirty joke, then Mom my 95 yr old grandmother tells a dirty joke and the round robin is ON!

It's hard to describe how cool it was to sit at a table and have a round robin dirty joke fest. Mother and Mom were Rosie the riveters during WWII and knew some of the raunchiest jokes. Women factory workers evidently put men to shame for dirty, tricks and raunchy jokes. Jack, Dad and my sister just sat there, none of them can tell a joke if it was written down. Mother, Mom, Katie and I are naturals once it started it lasted till we were exhausted.

It was GREAT, one of my best evenings ever. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah frosty our elders are something to be cherished. 

They've been there and done it. I used to spend a lot of time at the old folks home by my house growing up visiting with the patients listening to their stories and keeping them company. 

My friends didn't understand it but the relationships I made there were some of the most influential in my life. 

Unfortunately my granny suffered from dementia at the end. It was heart wrenching watching a dignified educated woman disappear before your eyes..

Such is life, but most of her days were bright and filled with the Joy of living and that's the way I choose to remember her.

Pnut (Mike)

Remember, love people while you can.

Really? I was pointing some 8" maybe lengths of 1/4" rnd. I was distracted momentarily by someone and when I struck my first blow I saw I'd grabbed another one out of the fire for a twofer. :huh:

And THAT'S my secret for forging multiples simultaneously, don't pay attention. It's a definition of "Effortless Job" that might catch on. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

On 4/17/2019 at 4:55 AM, Ben Hoover said:

You Bob Rossed it?  A happy little accident!

Well Duhhhh.:rolleyes:

Happy accident describes my style nicely and lends itself to my natural talents. All I have to do is make up a plausible story about how long it took to learn to do it just like THAT.

Doing another :o one is what made me actually learn blacksmithing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The difference between a blacksmith and anyone else is that the blacksmith doesn't flinch and screw up the forge weld!  ~ anvil

It is an act of optimism whenever we put a piece of steel in a forge to make something from it. ~ ThomasPowers

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere In this thread. I couldn't find it but if  so it bears repeating.

"The beginning of wisdom arrives when we realize how little we know &begin to remedy the situation." - Slag

Frosty,

Has said,  and I quote,

"I'll put it on my gift list next to your name."

In German, the word gift means "poison".

Herr Frosty,  do you speak German?

Just wondering,

Regards,

SLAG.

p.s.  Who is  "your" ?

• 2 weeks later...

P-Nut, i am from Johnson county, Paintsville is the closest "city". Lindy branch holler (thats Linda branch hollow for those who do not know hillspeak) . Love them old KY women. And that sounds exactly like something grandma would have said to me. 

Anyway something grandpa used to say:

"an open mouth, gathers closed fists"

Forgot to hit the notify button so another post.

So another from grandad

"close your mouth and open your ears"