I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

In response to my posting a Facebook photo of my latest hammer, a non-smithing friend asked, “What exactly are you making all these hammers for?” 

To which I replied, ”To have more hammers. Duh.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1) I actually read this entire thread, not a task I usually would have the patience for. So, In honor of Frosty, "Read before you go posting and asking questions!"

2) "There are no mistakes. There are always Second Chances - in Metal and in Men." -Larry from Alabama

Not sure who "Larry" is. Just something I glanced over on the internet the other day.

Glenn II

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

A good reputation takes a lifetime to build, but only a moment to destroy. ~ Glenn II

Quoted so often that it seems to be true, yet it is not. 

However it is more interesting to consider why  this quote repeated at nauseam appears to be true. 

Without getting too technical, the way we perceive others has more to do with what we want to perceive, than what the others really are. 

In other words, we build up other people's reputation with naivety and tear it down with schadenfreude. 

Studies show that stakeholders support the fallen and outsiders rejoice in his misdeeds. There is much more to talk about reputation building and destroying, but that popular say is clearly false or at least misleading. :)

A "lifetime reputation" ruined by one misdeed and on social media of all places?

Then it was a meaningless cardboard cutout of very little value. Hot air, nothing else.

Our reputation represents the way others look at us and as such is at once critically important and utterly trivial.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/happiness-in-world/201004/the-value-good-reputation

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...