I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2016-09-07 at 4:24 PM, JHCC said:

"A blacksmith is a person who goes to a museum and is only interested in the grids, door locks, and hinges." -- gote

I could improve it.

A blacksmith is a person who goes to an art museum and is only interested in the grids, door locks, and hinges 

The wife went into the small local branch bank to ask questions about her account. I went over to the door of the bank vault and started looking at the locking mechanism, hinges, thickness of the vault door, etc. Next thing I know there is a lot of chatter and commotion. The wife was heard to say, don't mind him, he is a blacksmith, and just looking for ways to improve the vault door.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SLAG said:

Television is a medium so called because it is neither rare nor well done.  Ernie Kovacs.

SLAG.

That's so perfect I had to wait to stop laughing so I could type. I didn't even know Ernie Kovacs was a blacksmith.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

The difference between a photographer and a good photographer is not the amount of photos you take, but the amount of photos you throw away.  Keep only the good photos for others to see.

Here is a photo album of my work, not a bad photo in the bunch. (grin)

Glenn

"time does not take away the sheer joy of the craft.  The pleasure that comes from transforming a piece of steel into something beautiful or useful, or the satisfaction of puzzling out a problem of tooling and production -- that is undimmed."-JHCC

Littleblacksmith

Just now, SLAG said:

I. F. I. denizens,

Election day is fast approaching.

The late great  Otto Von Bismarck had this to say about the political process.

"Laws are like sausages; it is better not to see them being made".

SLAG.

Too bad laws aren't like ironwork. That's always fun to watch.

JHCC,

Touche!  Mon Ami.

SLAG.

The late great Charles de Gaulle "replied".  He wrote;

"How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese".

America has less cheese varieties. So get out and vote!

Respectfully,

SLAG.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Actually I've already voted.  If you don't vote you can't complain afterwards! (even if it's complaining about your candidate not doing what they said they would do!)

Of course you can complain if you don't vote nobody will care you don't count. Just go vote and don't tell me about it and don't complain.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Nope; if you are a US citizen and don't vote; you have officially opted out and so have a 4 year blackout on US Presidential Carping!   

Sorry, doesn't work that way. If you're a US citizen the 1st. Amendment assures the freedom of speech shall NOT be infringed nor abridged, etc. etc. Whether you opted out on saying something that means anything or not does not abridge your right to complain. What it really means is you've admitted your opinion doesn't count so I'll respect that and ignore you.

It's been a long time since I got to vote for something I actually liked and that was my first election and I didn't know any better. Since that election I've found the best I can do for my country is vote against the person I believe will do the most damage.

Oh crap I'm skirting the edge of poly ticks and there's enough to make a boy mad already. Anyone have a recommendation for a good movie or two to watch next tuesday? TV is going to suck . . . unmentionableness big time.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry Frosty reread it it says the GOVERNMENT can't abridge, etc nothing about us...Sounds Heinleinian   He said 

“If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for ... but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong.”

27 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Sorry Frosty reread it it says the GOVERNMENT can't abridge, etc nothing about us...Sounds Heinleinian   He said 

“If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for ... but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong.”

Saying Glenn isn't the Iforge governor?  Okay, a stretch that doesn't carry weight, Glenn's hours Glenn's rules and we agreed to follow them under contract law. That has no bearing on your statement, complaining about president and or poly ticks are already forbidden subjects here. Opting in or out isn't a factor.

However let's assume you're "no vote opt out of gripe" is now statute for discussion's sake. Who's to judge and who's to enforce it?  Penalties? To be honest about this time of the season I'm so sick and tired of the poly ticks I'm tempted to make the same statement out of frustration. Unfortunately saying, "if you don't vote don't complain" is just another complaint.

Frankly I want the non-voters to complain, it makes filtering their opinions much easier. And if the community says, "stop it!" and they won't I just block them and I don't have to worry about the noise. It beats flame wars and throwing stinky cyberdung.

Heinlein was right; smart, wise man so many progressives got so wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.

as far as the 1st amendment goes I think we need an addition to that amendment 1A requires what ever is said has to BE THE TRUTH 100%

That should cut all political speeches and ads by 99%. 

7 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

(even if it's complaining about your candidate not doing what they said they would do!)

That goes back to my suggestion of the 1A!