• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spent the weekend with the inlaws, came home with this. Axles and some barstock, got to test to see if a couple are HC or mild. Some are from my father-in-law's garage, others from my wife's cousin's back yard, he does welding and such things in addition to being a minister. The big axles are going to be hammer heads, the smaller stuff tools to make the hammer heads.

2760.attach

My father-in-law passed away over a year ago. He used to be an engineer at Bell Helicopter. He made a lot of his own tooling and machines. Anyway I waited over a year to get anything in case someone else wanted it first. I have hauled away 4 - 6 truckloads and 2 trailer loads of equipment and tools and still there is more.

The first pic shows a 20t press and a disc sander/ belt sander he built.
Pic #2 is a lathe he built.
Pic #3 is the geared end of the lathe and yes that is a motorcycle transmission.
Pic #4 is a mini lathe.
I also received assorted fans. (really needed during the Texas summers here) a post vice 2 air compressors and just too much to list. Losing my father in law was really tough for my wife and myself but I will make sure that the tooling he built and loved will continue to serve and function as he intended.

2780.attach

2781.attach

2782.attach

2783.attach

I finally got a chance to bring home my little rivet forge today. I got it from the same person who gave me the bender, notcher, nibbler, that I posted earlier in the thread. I also have a small post vise from him. The forge is made by Champion. It will be nice to have a forge at home now, as I haven't had time to go to the Village, as I really should spend the whole day if I am going to go there.

Dave

2797.attach

2798.attach

Two days ago my grandfather asked me if I was still working with metal. When I said yes he told me he had a scrap metal pile in one of his fields by the river. As soon as he was done saying this I got on my quad and drove down to the river. When I got there the first thing I noticed was an old forge, which with a little work and a new blower will work fine. Second I noticed a few oil drums filled with metal scraps. I took out the top layer of scraps and what did I find but a ton of R.R. spikes. I think I'll be busy now, and I'll post pics of the restored forge when im done.

I had heard that my neighbors property was once owned by a Blacksmith who resided there from the early 1900's to about 1955. The other day while we were heading into town we noticed the current owner of the property tearing down the old barn that had been leaning badly and my wife asked to to stop so she could inquire about buy some of that old barn wood. As soon as we pulled in I noticed a small pile of rusty metal in the distance next to a small building. From the distance I could make out a engine block and what looked like a clutch - or maybe an old blower! I asked the owner if I could go over and look at the pile of rusty metal and he agreed. Upon arriving at the pile I knew instantly that I had found the old Blacksmiths scrap pile next to what had been his (very small) smithy. The clutch was in fact an old Canedy Otto belt driven blower minus the bearing assembly. He said I was welcome to the take what ever I wanted from the pile so I returned quickly with my trailer and proceeded to dig out ALOT of old wrought iron including several wagon wheels, wagon seat buggy springs, lots of leaf springs and chunks of iron bars square and round in different lengths. The small pile turned out to be a fairly large pile that the earth had tried to claim from all the years and I had to dig about a foot down yanking out piece after interesting piece of iron and steel. That old Smiths pile made it from his old forgotten smithy to mine and is once again a active pile of useful future projects. This has been my best find yet!

2808.attach

I took the O2 concentrator that Woody gave Cookie down to St. Joe, Mo. to have it looked at as it was not functionioning correctly, it only has 40K hours on it. A couple of filters, a good cleaning internally, and a motor mount replaced and it was back in working order.

While I was there I was looking at the electric Mobility Aids, and asked if they had any used ones. They did but the used prices for the fancy ones was Wild to say the least. Then the lady showed me 2 new discontinued models, full warranty, less than half price of new. Now she had my attention.

They come apart easily for transporting, and have a sort of reciever hitch under the seat for attachments. When you buy used ones of these, most times someone has already gotten the good out of them so to speak, no warranty and who knows what part of it is gonna give up next. So the Scooter followed me home. Sure was a surprise for her.

Now Cookie has the mobility to go places and at her monthly meetings at the huge hospital in KC, Mo. all the walking she has to do will not stress her out so bad, all tho she is on O2 24/7 at the end of her time at the hospital she is gasping for breath when I pick her up for the trip home.

Loose children and unwary adults had better look out tho. The Horn works but no brakes. LOL

The Black Brkt at the left of the first picture is the brkt I made to carry the O2 bottle she needs.

First picture is of it disassembled so it will fit in the back of the van.

Second picture is of it assembled. (about 10 minutes time).

Third picture is of Cookie and her first ride on it. (I was in a safe place.) LOL

2809.attach

2810.attach

2811.attach

These two items followed me home today. The geared, chain block and tackle was 15 bucks and the other threaded turn buckle bar was 50 cents and will be used as the drive shaft for my power hammer I am building. Not a bad day at all! :D

2835.attach

all good stuff. i check the local railroad dumpster on my daily rounds. ash wood sledge handles some never had a sledge attached?, several broken sledge handles which do good service for hammer handles. iron! lots of iron and brackets and washers and ??????? railroad stuff.
the track crew cleared out some switch shacks that had 12 volt battery chargers , they cut the power cords off and some were missing clips ,but i replaced the clips and put new power cords on and they all worked just fine.
been tryin to find parts for a project sander/grinder 2X72 inch. no doubt everything i'll need will show up in the dumpster.
oh yeah, i have quite a few track cut-offs. they make nice cutters.

pieces like this rail cut-off

Edit: The image placed here can be viewed if you link removed at the request of anvilfire

The image is from the Anvilfire site. In the past when contacted for permission to use a specific photo, Jock did not respond to the requests. Therefore the image is not being used. A link to the image has been established so it can be viewed from the original source.
Site Admin

Went to the scrapyard looking for something solid i could use as an anvil. Found this. Think its a peice of shaft- stands 8 inches high, the face is 9" wide and it weighs 140 lbs. Its standing on top of the i beam i used to use.Has a nice rebound.
Bb

2874.attach

2875.attach

2876.attach

2877.attach

This followed me home for $50. Faced Looked pretty good and it had a nice ring, but it was painted heavily on the sides. I brought it home put it on a scale then started to clean off the heavy paint ...turns out to be a nice 85 lb. Hay Budden.:o SWEEET
Now to clean of few little dings and wire wheel it a bit more.
Neat little goody hidden away in a old garage,
Gotta love dark corners of old garages!!!:D

Tim

2914.attach

2915.attach

2916.attach

When I lived in Columbus OH I ended up owning anvils from *both* the anvil manufacturers in that city---bought one of them in Arkansas and traded the other from a fellow who bought it in Arizona...

Tha anvils I bought inside Columbus city limits were a Vulcan and a Fisher...

Thanks Guys, I hit the top with a flap sander and 3 different grits on a belt sander today. It finished up pretty darn good!
Question: Is there serial numbers any where on Hay Budden's? Thought I read that some where. I looked on my large HB and did'nt see any on it either?
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
Tim