• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to an auction today and this is what followed me home. Three gear reduction boxes for $7; a butcher(?), two fullers, a flatter and a hotcut for $10; a belt driven blower for $13; and a sprocket and chain for $1.
I plan to build a tumbler sometime and I thought the reduction boxes might come in handy. I might be able to use the sprocket and chain for that also.
The blacksmith tools have seen a lot of use but I figured two bucks a piece was a pretty good deal.
The blower seems to be in good shape, just needs cleaned up.

1409.attach

Trying-it delivered a new tredle hammer to Pam and WV was half way between so they met there. So he would not have to go home with an empty truck bed, Stan ask for a double shot of WV lump coal for the trip back.

This is what he took home.

Once Trying-it had the a double shot of WV lump coal for the trip back, he found that WV to be rich in iron ore.

Not sure what was in the black drum as it was a hitchhiker headed for Iowa. But there were 2 anvils, a bunch of "special" plants, a box of lead, a bearing that was torch cut and split into halves, a couple of gears, a couple of bearings, A 4" cylinder, a 3-1/2" x 40" cylinder, a couple of 2" cylinders, 6 pieces of 3", some cone shaped thing with threads on one end (maybe 125+ pounds), 14-15 pieces of spring steel some 1/2" + thick and 4" wide, some smaller, some assorted long pieces 4 feet by 1-1/2" dia, and a bearing with shaft, and a couple of loose pieces.

He took on additional air on the tires, something about the air being fresher in WV and was going to take some of it back home with him also. :)

G'Day all,
just thought i'd show youse what i picked up yesterday .An early christmas prezzy ta meself . Bloke had it on eBay 4 times , paid $ 10:00 AUD ( about $ 7:60 USD ) for it . Cost me $ 35:00 AUD & a round trip of 560 km's ta get it , but think it was worth it .

He also had a BIG hunk of iron " 16" x 9 1/2" x 6 1/2 " ( that's 280 odd lbs ) he offered me for $ 10:00 AUD as well ( i couldn't get me wallet out quick enough ta pay him incase he changed his mind )

Dale Russell

1477.attach

G'Day all,
just thought i'd show youse what i picked up yesterday .An early christmas prezzy ta meself . Bloke had it on eBay 4 times , paid $ 10:00 AUD ( about $ 7:60 USD ) for it . Cost me $ 35:00 AUD & a round trip of 560 km's ta get it , but think it was worth it .

He also had a BIG hunk of iron " 16" x 9 1/2" x 6 1/2 " ( that's 280 odd lbs ) he offered me for $ 10:00 AUD as well ( i couldn't get me wallet out quick enough ta pay him incase he changed his mind )

Dale Russell

It is a hand crank bar twister right? Cool.

Due to the weather since about late october, I've gotten about no smithing done. My forge is impossible to light when the coal is slightly wet, and I haven't had any opportunities to do any forging.
So here I was, thinking about how out of shape I'm going to be once I can forge again, and how I'm gonna need to find a shelter and build another forge that will work better. So here it is, Christmas Eve, and I open the huge heavy package under the tree for me.

photo 1

And then in the other, smaller also heavy package we had this:

photo 2

So the story behind them, is here in Eugene, we have something called the Saturday Market. Its a place where a bunch of hippies get together and have booths with handmade stuff and good food. There was a blacksmith there, one that Conrad thought wasn't very good. One day, he disappeared. He just left the market, and never came back. He abandoned his tools and setup. So the market found Conrad, and gave him the stuff.

So my dad wanted to get me a forge for christmas, and he called Conrad. Conrad gave him this one to give to me, and my dad bought the blower from a guy who sells forges and such on eBay.
My dad's other good news, is that he got an awning(like the kind people store there cars and stuff under for long periods of time). So now I have a decent forge, and even a way to keep out of the rain. Hopefully I can get back to work now.

5692.attach

5693.attach

i was helping dad clean out his garage today before finally getting to play with my new (home built) gas forge and found some things that reminded me of my favorite freebie to date, about 3 years ago i was working at a funeral home doing maintenence, they had thier creamatory rebuilt and they GAVE me all the extra materials, half a pallet of hard brick and 6 cases of soft brick, 8 GALLONS of refractory cement ( i had so forgotten about that when i ordered a pint of ITC a couple months ago to line my forge ;) ) my poor little ranger was riding the axle the entire way home...

Congratulation Nolano. Keep some of the coke from your last fire in an all metal sealed can to start your next fire.

You can go to a farm supply place and get a hinged exhaust flapper to replace the screw on cap on the forge, you will just have to drill a hole in the counter weight and add some weight and you will have an easy one touch dump ash gate.