• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

these are my 2 new finds got them at a haven of rest thrift store figure ill use the over lock machine as a stand and hook some grinders and sanders up to the moter the singer i plane on using as is just got to get some one to show me how to sew lol

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3684/ppuser/205
http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3687/ppuser/205

RB ,
mate , i'd scrap the plan sewer & keep the overlocker meself , the old 600 wi looks ta ave seen better days ta me ( sewing machine mechanic by trade ) . Ain't much good for heavy clothin' , maybe a patch on pair of denim jean's or some overalls .
The overlocker on the other hand ... :) But sayin' that , depends on what it twas used for before , could be anything from sock's ta PJ's & everything inbetween
Just my 2 cents worth anyway mate

Dale Russell

Leah, good point on the tank! I have seen tanks "defused" by pipeing exhaust
gas from an engine for around 24hrs. more or less for tank size.
Bwilloughby, Spooky is a cute "critter", I used to have one that had siamese coloring, fun animals! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the last time I saw this thread, it was only two pages long, (busy winter).

Here is one I couldn't pass up. It was headed to the scrap yard, and I think it had been rescued from there already. It cuts angle to length, notches it, and bends it square for welding.

Dave

2426.attach

Didn't realize there was such a demand for such a thing, what with todays hydrualic iron workers. It was offered to me by a friend that does a lot of business with the local scrappers. He drags things home like this becuase it is a shame to see them scrapped, but if nobody wants them, he has no choice but to take them back as he has limited room.

Dave

My neighbour is replacing his old iron railings with wooden ones and he gave me his old ones. I got 3 like the ones in the pic. The welds were so poor that I took it apart with a hammer. Lots of stuff for projects!

The gray desk was out by the dumpster one day. It's a beauty, too.

Christopher

2429.attach

Didn't realize there was such a demand for such a thing, what with todays hydrualic iron workers. It was offered to me by a friend that does a lot of business with the local scrappers. He drags things home like this becuase it is a shame to see them scrapped, but if nobody wants them, he has no choice but to take them back as he has limited room.

Dave

Hi dave,
a lot of small shops and hobbiests still use them.

Sean

How many times have you passed over the old metal 5 gallon buckets because they were dirty, full of muck or whatever.

These 3 metal buckets followed me home. They are 11-1/2 inches diameter by 13-1/2 inches tall. That is real close to 10 diameter by 40 inches of chimney flue. I am looking for a few more so I can then try them as a chimney on a forge.

Funny how when you see a dryer ask if you can throw it on the back of YOUR truck to help the fellow out, a second dryer appears from nowhere. Will both followed me home. So far I have one work table several metal panels and two dryer motors. Will try to get them running tomorrow and see if they work. Oh yes, 8 feet of 4" diameter flexible metal dryer hose appeared in the truck bed also.

Just a couple of things that have or will eventually make it home:

My rivet forge, a second forge and a vise.

The second forge and vise where won for me at an auction by my father-in-law.

The rivet forge was found in an old pig ban I was helping my father-in-law clean out for the guy that bought the property, gave him and me some "salvage rights" to some of the stuff we found and I made good use of it that day.

Also not shown is an old hand crank drill press that my father-in-law won at another auction.

4156.attach

4157.attach

4158.attach

• 2 weeks later...

A visit to my favorite scrapyard yielded this stuff. I had a 4lb hammer I made that I put the yard's name on...it stayed there, this stuff came with me. The big block is 6 1/2" x 33" x 20"+ = guessing at 1300 lbs....:o....no wonder it took two crane lifts to get it off the truck!!! The yard put it on for me with one of those huge magnets on a real crane. Then there's a couple of barbell disks..45 and 35 lbs; two plow disks and a big cog to use as a swage block.

2698.attach