• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Habu; grab the dome headed bolts, they make nice dishing hammers and stakes and can be trading goods at hammer-ins.

They often can be found in a variety of sizes and a nice set of "deep-dish" hammers (put the eye back in the threaded part of the bolt instead of in the middle) can be very handy.

Thomas

Been there done that....and made anvil devils out of spikes for bottom fullers by forming the heads to fit the hardie hole and bending 90*. Spikes for punches and drifts. The nut and bolt combination makes a stable base for the mushroom stake if you screw it on before shaping the treads square for the hardie hole. The short sections of track make great hardies and hot cuts when the web is cut in half and can be formed for hammers. I'm trying to think how to use a 18" section of track for a treadle hammer but I haven't worked out the guides.

Oh yea and switch arms make good hangers for baskets.....big baskets for our toys.

That small dot in the sky above the right hand leg is a 14lb bowling ball on it's way to the loch ness monster 650 feet away.

for scale the squirel cages are 5' dia. 24' arm and 1200 to 2000 lbs of counter weight (RR tie plates).

For more Mad Splatter I'm the father-in-law and inabilier for this addiction.

2095.attach

I found this handmade hammer head today in the weeds behind my Great Grandfather's blacksmith shop. It appears to be shop made because the eye is not quite centered side to side. My Great Grandfather ran the shop from 1871 untill his death in 1929 when his sons took over the shop untill World War II. After that it became an auto repair business and then a small junk yard. I don't know if it was "his" hammer, but I will put a handle on it and use it as if it was his.PICT0068.JPG
PICT0067.JPG
my Great Grandfather striking for his apprentice in his shop between 1910 and 1920.FrankPolzin.JPG

larger copys of the pics in the gallery

I'm gonna be working the bellows at a local reinactment village, and since there's tons of junked pieces, and old tongs and hammers and suchlike in piles rusting, I am going to start saving the tools from the piles, today I brought home these:, the one with the red arrow,I'm wondering what it is? the tongs are quite rusty and big, but I'll rework them to be smaller and get the rust off. But what is the big one with the arrow pointing to it?
Thanks,
Archie

2091.attach

So I dont know if this counts since I paid a whole lot for it all, and it seems most of the stuff posted here is junkyard finds or giveaways or whatnot. But this is what followed me home today. Just need to aquire a power hammer or treadle hammer (power prefered, but treadle hammers are nice too!) and finish my larger forge and i'll be one happy camper for a long time... (once I pay back my brother the money I borrowed to buy all this)

http://www.tharkis.com/images/itfollowedmehome.jpg

http://www.tharkis.com/images/itfollowedmehome2.jpg

http://www.tharkis.com/images/cone.jpg

2096.attach

2097.attach

2098.attach

Hi, Jmercier.
Nice finds. Around here I could sell that cone mandrel for enough to make a nice down payment on a hammer. If not just outrite swap it for one. I, don't know why either. It's not like they are that usefull for modern blacksmithing. Mostly end up being a really expensive coat rack. But everyone seems to think they need one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, had alot of rain the past couple days, mixed with a bit of snow. Well I live right by the Delaware river, like 6 minutes away. Also, my shop is pretty close(sight, about 100 yards away from the banks). Well out driving with my parents today, looking at the flooding and stuff, saw a big 100gallon/pound(not really sure) propane tank sitting in the flotsam on the banks. Got back to my house, I grabbed a good solid rope, and a big pole, and went back to see if it was tsill there. It was, and 10 minutes later, I had hooked it with my rope, and hauled it in. THANKFULLY< it was mostly empty, and I managed to haul it up the bank and into my truck no problem. Looks in good condition, only a coulpe scratches, little dent, rusty a bit buit NOTHING deep, only cosmetic. I have a buddy that works with his dad and they refurbish old tanks, i'll ask him if it is cool to use, or trade it in for a refurbished/new one. I'll post some pictures soon. The label says Honesdale PA, which is a town about 45 minutes to an hour away UP river hehe. She must have had a wild ride.

If its 100 gallon, it should be about 3' in diameter and about 6" long.
Sort of like a big pancake standing on the edge?

If it 100# it will be about 18" in diameter and 3.5- 4" tall.
Oh, I get it now, they expand to full size when filled with the gas.
Sorry Dodge, just could not let that one slip past. (ok 2 slips go past).

I had a 100#'r follow me home while visiting family over Christmas. Yes, that was the same family living at 9000 feet in CO on the same trip we had to extend for 5 days because of snow. Brand new tank, just had to shovel a path thru 4' deep snow to get to the 8' drift. Then a few test holes and breaking it free from the ground....then the 2200 mile ride home. I love free stuff!
The other score I had a couple weeks ago came off craigslist. 55 gallon drum full of coal, free for the hauling and only 30 minutes from the house. Now, if I can ever make something that deosn't look like abstract art, I'm going to have to give those nice folk a token.....

Nomad

75# unnamed vise found on Craigslist.com for $25.
vise2.jpg

All it needed was a new thrust bearing that I was able to coble together from a 2x1 1/4 black pipe bushing and an old timpkin bearing. Someone had welded a farriers rasp to the jaws so I had to grind those smooth and dress the edges.

Also in the works a old power hack saw $25
and a hand cranked forge blower. Free

will post pics later